ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Klr 650 dead battery help? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844949)

spruce 11-30-2012 02:56 AM

Klr 650 dead battery help?

Hey. Would anyone have any ideas why my battery would go completely dead ,after parking and locking steering wheel, and leaving the bike about 10 days . I came to start it , nothing, checked battery it had a .35 volts and would not roll start. The battery was about 8 months old. Finally got it jump started but with it running the horn would not blow. How do you check for a short? The fuses were good. I'll try to recharge the battery but may have to replace it. To bad it don't have a kick starter. While I'am Here this my first post and I sure have enjoyed seeing the photos and reading what is going on out there. In the 2 wheeled world. Thanks B safe out there!! Spruce! :)

greer 11-30-2012 05:38 AM

Does the KLR have that parking light feature that comes on when you turn the key to steering lock one notch too far? Turning those things on accidentally will sure suck a battery. Wonder how I know?

Welcome to the forum!!

Sarah

XDragRacer 11-30-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greer (Post 20147947)
Does the KLR have that parking light feature that comes on when you turn the key to steering lock one notch too far? Turning those things on accidentally will sure suck a battery. Wonder how I know?

Welcome to the forum!!

Sarah

Yes; and . . . please do not inquire how I know this is true! :rofl

IDRIDR 11-30-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDragRacer (Post 20148001)
Yes; and . . . please do not inquire how I know this is true! :rofl

Don't ask me either....:evil

It makes me wonder if the bike was running, but voltage still low, maybe the voltage wasn't sufficient to operate the horn. I'd charge the batter up full, then watch voltage and see if it drops. If it does, maybe remove a wire from the battery and see if it drops when not connected to the bike, which I'd guess indicates a bad battery. Good luck there.

PNWRR 11-30-2012 11:20 AM

FWIW, try not to use the bikes charging system to fully restore your battery to a full charge. they're really not designed for deep cycle charging. Do it too many times and you could overtax the stator/charging system. ymmv.

spruce 11-30-2012 04:27 PM

Thanks for all your feed back. Live and learn. Soon I'll be on the road again. Spruce :)

strongbad 11-30-2012 04:34 PM

You have several possibilities:

1. bad battery
2. no, or low stator output and/or bad rectifier/regulator
3. high parasitic drain with the key off

I would troubleshoot this way:

1. Verify the battery with a loaded test (once it has fully charged). Only a loaded test can properly verify the battery. Battery shops can do the test.

2. If the battery is OK, connect the battery and measure charge voltage while the engine runs. It should be >13.6V at 3000 rpm and <15.5V. If the voltage is too high or too low, check the rectifier/regulator.

3. Test the parasitic drain with the key off by disconnecting the ground lead to the battery and measuring current between the ground lead and the battery with an ammeter. It should be just a few milliamps or less. If the parasitic drain is high, check your aftermarket accessories first (by disconnecting them). If parasitic drain is still too high, unplug the rectifier/regulator to see if the high drain current goes away.

CA Stu 11-30-2012 04:51 PM

If it won't hold a charge and has water in it, you may have a bad cell.

In which case, buy a new battery.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:08 AM.