ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Old's Cool (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Large cc scrambler/tracker/brat style?? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845254)

waterboybueche 12-01-2012 10:31 AM

Large cc scrambler/tracker/brat style??
 
Thanks for reading... I have some questions for all you that are into the scrambler/tracker/brat style bikes....

I sold my KLR 1.5 yrs ago and would like another bike soon... I am interested in an older 80's style standard bike...

I want to throw some dual sport/knobbies, dirt handlebars, strip it of extra things I dont like and ride the crap out of it...I dont see any larger displacement (1000-1100 cc's) I have searched and searched, seems like most of the types/styles of bikes I like are 650cc and under....

My reasoning??? I am 6'2: and 275 lbs... I am kinda a big guy and always feel like an idiot riding small bikes.....

I hated the KLR at speed... I think I should had tried changing the rear shock before I sold it to hold my weight better... the bike seemed to float around with the front tire ready to wash out at anytime,,,,

I want a bike to take down dirt roads and take me home after... plus I like the look of an old standard bike made custom to the owners wants and needs....


Any thoughts??? PICS???

I had a 75 Goldwing years ago and have been thinking about another... Kinda a rat, tracker looking mean machine???


Thanks for your help and please be kind!!

SloMo228 12-01-2012 10:59 AM

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqrSk...layer_embedded

:D Not really a scrambler, but definitely big!

Here's an older one:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3582/...cb79b42215.jpg

And an airborne Goldwing:

http://www.freewebs.com/mzrider/airbourne%201.jpg

There are more pics of that last one at this site: http://www.freewebs.com/mzrider/offroadonagoldwing.htm

I say go for it. It wouldn't take much to make a GL1000 or GL1100 into a decent gravel road cruiser, and they are easy to find cheap.

Doug Matson 12-01-2012 11:09 AM

Get an early BMW GS.

waterboybueche 12-01-2012 11:09 AM

Thanks for the pics Steve... bike in the video, is way more than I am qualified to do...but like the trailed one best... I want to keep the round headlight and probably raise the front fender or remove completely...

That is what I want to do.... maybe not on a race track, but a cool town/dirt road cheap project would be what I want.

I will continue to search CL and see if I can find the GL that wants to tear some stuff up!!!

Thanks again!

bk brkr baker 12-08-2012 08:02 AM

http://tr1.de/pictures/gallery/sepp_...epp_2007_3.jpg

TR1 in the rest of the world 980cc. XV920 for 2 years in the U.S. 920cc. This one has been modified a bit.

http://tr1.de/pictures/gallery/sepp_...epp_2007_4.jpg

83XLX 12-08-2012 05:50 PM

An older, non-rubbermount EVO Sportster would be a good start.

Chico 12-13-2012 07:25 AM

Airhead Dirt Bikes
 
Check out the airhead dirt bikes thread on here. There are a number of scrambly-type bikes. 800-1000cc. They aren't exactly standard but some aren't far from it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56044

Airhead Wrangler 12-13-2012 07:32 AM

Or get a Harley XR1000

(no, that's not me)


http://www.menstyle.it/cont/foto/080...sp4564img1.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JNgH2kk8pu...n+Bussei+2.jpg

Randy 12-13-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83XLX (Post 20207604)
An older, non-rubbermount EVO Sportster would be a good start.

Yep, got a hankering for something like this myself:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8157/7...1472f8ff_c.jpg

Thread about it here:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...highlight=EZXL

zap2504 12-13-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterboybueche (Post 20156691)
I am interested in an older 80's style standard bike...

I want to throw some dual sport/knobbies, dirt handlebars, strip it of extra things I dont like and ride the crap out of it...I dont see any larger displacement (1000-1100 cc's) I have searched and searched, seems like most of the types/styles of bikes I like are 650cc and under....

My reasoning??? I am 6'2: and 275 lbs... I am kinda a big guy and always feel like an idiot riding small bikes.....

I hated the KLR at speed... I think I should had tried changing the rear shock before I sold it to hold my weight better... the bike seemed to float around with the front tire ready to wash out at anytime,,,,

I want a bike to take down dirt roads and take me home after... plus I like the look of an old standard bike made custom to the owners wants and needs....

I am just a little taller than you and find most of the Jap bikes are made for shorter folks - except for purpose-build dual-sports. Take a look at http://cycle-ergo.com/, plug in your dimensions, and take a look at how you would fit on a variety of bikes.

Trying to find an '80s standard bike (dual rear shock, round headlight, no "cruiserish" elements like stepped seat or leading front axle with overly-long forks) that can be made into a scrambler and fit you comfortably might be hard unless you are able to/can afford to have one modified. For a tall person, you may want to take a look at the Suzuki VX800 (there is a discussion thread in the Some Assembly Required sub-forum), or maybe the KZ650/750/1000 standards (i.e., not LTD or CSR), the latter-generation Triumph Bonnevilles, the CB650/750 (maybe with different bodywork?), the Suzuki GS850G/1100G (not the L), or the Yamaha 650/750 Seca/Maxim (the 650 Seca would be best but is the most rare).

chasbmw 12-13-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bk brkr baker (Post 20204474)
http://tr1.de/pictures/gallery/sepp_...epp_2007_3.jpg

TR1 in the rest of the world 980cc. XV920 for 2 years in the U.S. 920cc. This one has been modified a bit.

http://tr1.de/pictures/gallery/sepp_...epp_2007_4.jpg


I like that, it's a really good special

waterboybueche 12-14-2012 12:33 AM

Thanks for the input to all. I dont know what the heck I will do...

I guess the right bike will come along... I did the cycle ergo site, very cool and I also joined Chop cult tonight and awaiting my acceptance email...

waterboybueche 12-14-2012 09:13 AM

ZAP2504,

You stated that a good bike is a GS850 But not the L model... Can you elaborate?? There is one in my area that I have had my eye on. Its a gs850L

Thanks again guys

Speed King 12-14-2012 12:48 PM

That yellow Yamaha is tits.

thumpism 12-14-2012 03:31 PM

The L suffix on '80s Suzukis was to designate a custom or cruiser model, usually with higher bars, stepped seat, shaft drive, leading axle front fork, etc. A standard would be a more suitable starting point, from what you've said. There's a build thread here somewhere that a guy did on a GS650 to cafe it, and he had to undo a lot.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014