ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Battle scooters (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   craigslist find in ne IN. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845593)

krs2fer 12-02-2012 05:59 PM

craigslist find in ne IN.

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/mcy/3446194742.html

I found this today on craigslist.
I thought maybe somebody here would like to see it.
I know nothing of this bike or have anything to do with making money off of it.

I forgot, it's a 2006 Ruckus.

JerryH 12-02-2012 06:40 PM

Looks like a stock Ruckus, but he apparently made changes to the variator to increase acceleration, which in turn decreases top speed. And a 50cc Ruckus is barely faster than a bicycle to begin with. I love the look, but I wish they would build at least a 125 or 250cc version WITH THE SAME LOOK. The short lived "Big Ruckus" looked like a lawn mower to me.

redhandmoto 12-02-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryH (Post 20165214)
a 50cc Ruckus is barely faster than a bicycle to begin with. .

if your bicycle will do 40...but what do I know? I ride a C3.

I would have a 50cc Ruck if they were EFI...like they are (as the Zoomer) in Europe!

Quote:

I wish they would build at least a 125 or 250cc version WITH THE SAME LOOK.

150s get thrown into them all the time. It's a whole industry.

JerryH 12-02-2012 07:53 PM

Whether a bicycle will do 40 depends on who's riding it. The new Honda Met is fuel injected and it got slower. I doubt a stock Ruckus will do much over 36 actual speed. When you put a 150cc GY6 Chinese engine in one, it completely changes the look, and costs a fortune. Many people have $10,000 into their Ruckus. Think about what kind of bike you could buy with that. A new Bonneville T100, A BMW single, a new Honda CB1100? But if it's what they want, it's their money.

I had a 2007 Met, bought brand new. After almost getting killed on it several times in town due to it's being to slow, I decided to ride it out of town on rural roads. I put 10,000 miles on it like that. I bought a Vino 125 for in town use, and also used it for long distance riding. I have 25,000 miles on it in 4 years. I just recently bought a 2012 Zuma 125, because the dealer wanted my trade in (an '09 Ninja 500) which I could no longer ride due to the painful riding position, and gave me a whopper of a trade in on it. I'm already outfitting it for long distance riding.

I looked at the C3. Loved the styling, but I was about 50 pounds over it's 170 pound weight limit. The Met had a 273 pound weight limit.

redhandmoto 12-02-2012 08:12 PM

Ha! Well, Pshaw, Jerry! :D

I'm, ah, lighter that you (but still 184) and my wife's '09 (upjetted, restricter plate out) Met just whips at 42 +/- ! And there's no comparing it or the Ruckus to the "new" Honda Met - that's just a rebadged Giorno made for the Chinese market - totally gutless!

Yeah, lotta people go the full-farkle route with the Ruckus, but you don't have to put a stretch kit, drop bars, pegs, yadayadayada aftermarket crapola on them...just a decent GY-6'll do ya just fine. In other words, you ain't got to spend 10k to get what ya want outta the Ruck.

Actually, this nice, clean Ruckus for 1.5 k would be an ideal candidate for just such a thang; lucky for me it's in Indiana!

The Zuma 125...why, oh, why didn't they make it a 150?

and I still take my dead-stock C3 out in traffic every day - in the Greater Metropolitan Washington, DC traffic suckness, where demento civil servants, psycho-aggresso Redneck Dualies, Alien Life Forms, and Lexite-Mercedoid Trophy Wives all compete to take you out. 49-point-something CCs: the Ride of Manly Men, Laughing at Death!

(Oooooh...sorry...carried away there...new meds...)

kiznile 12-03-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Looks like a stock Ruckus, but he apparently made changes to the variator to increase acceleration, which in turn decreases top speed.

Not necessarily true. I went from 12g stock rollers, to 11g dr pulley sliders, faster acceleration and gained 5mph up top...

JerryH 12-03-2012 09:19 AM

I agree on the Zuma 125. I have a nearly new one. The speed is ok with me, but I don't like the fact that it is not freeway legal. I-8 from Phoenix to San Diego is 400+ miles of practically deserted freeway, and I have ridden the Vino 125 on it, but I risked some serious charges. Since it is illegal, if you were stopped by a cop you would get a ticket. Then you would be stranded, and have to have the scooter towed to a point where you could get it off the freeway. Then you would be stranded again, and might have to call someone from 400 miles away to come and get you. I decided not to risk it anymore.

I could have bought a Honda PCX150. I didn't like the looks of it (sort of a mini maxi design) but it was freeway legal. What prevented me from buying it was the 3 hour valve adjustment procedure, as opposed to 15 minutes on the Zuma. Honda messed up on that bad.

I suspect the Zuma 125 is 125cc because it is based on the Vino engine, though it is about 5 mph faster and has better acceleration.

csisfun 12-03-2012 01:49 PM

Jerry, somehow I feel you are killing your credibility by exaggerating too many things. Doing 40mph on a bike is possible, but nobody can do 40mph for the whole day as a Ruckus can.

My personal experience with a 50cc is that you can do many things with it, and the bigger the city - hence, more lower speed limit roads - the most useful it gets. Hondas - C70s, Ruckus and Metropolitans have all been used to cross the U.S., and so I strongly believe that there's a big element of mind over matter. If you come from a car, got used to the acceleration of a big car, then you'll find a 50cc to be very weak and inadequate.

I came from being a cyclist to a scooter rider. So I know that a compromise can definitely be found somewhere.

redhandmoto 12-03-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryH (Post 20168418)
II could have bought a Honda PCX150. I didn't like the looks of it (sort of a mini maxi design) but it was freeway legal. What prevented me from buying it was the 3 hour valve adjustment procedure, as opposed to 15 minutes on the Zuma. Honda messed up on that bad.

Valve adjustment interval kinda shortish, too. Plus it is UG.., uh, not to my taste. Plus you gotta buy a topcase once you fill the underseat, and the "floor" ain't flat, and...

redhandmoto 12-03-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csisfun (Post 20170357)
My personal experience with a 50cc is that you can do many things with it, and the bigger the city - hence, more lower speed limit roads - the most useful it gets.

Well-said!

JerryH 12-03-2012 07:34 PM

I have seen cyclists (you know the type, wearing spandex and a bright colored jersey, riding at least a $2000 bike) easily take off from a red light faster than cars. Yes, they soon get passed, but they do get off the line quick. Plus, they are allowed to ride to the far right, and in a bike lane if there is one. Scooters cannot do this. And while very people could ride a bicycle 40 mph for any length, they don't need to. A scooter must occupy a traffic lane (in my state) and the Honda Met was so slow off the line you were in serious danger of being run over from behind when the light turned green. It's hard to blame someone in a car for not knowing just how slow these things accelerate. They are used to motorcycles zipping away from them when the light changes, and very few people in cars know the difference between a sportbike and a 50cc scooter. I finally rigged my turn signals to function as 4 way flashers, and kept them on at all speeds below 30 mph. That did get the attention of some car drivers. But then many of them would pass inches away and lay on the horn as soon as they got the chance. I actually had my left mirror hit a couple of times. Speed limits in my area are 45 mph, and most everyone does 55, only exception being school zones. Trying to ride a scooter with a top speed of 40 mph in 55 mph traffic is suicide, especially if it takes 1/4 mile to reach 40 mph. I have no problem keeping up with traffic on my Vino and Zuma 125 scooters, as they top out at about 55, and accelerate a LOT faster than a 50cc.

I can see maybe getting away with a 50cc scooter in a small town, but I live in a large city, with a lot of traffic, and everybody is in a hurry. A 50cc scooter just doesn't cut it.

However, out on rural roads, where the speed limit is 65, they are very safe, because you are allowed to ride on the shoulder outside the city limits.You are no longer blocking traffic, they just go around you. People ride bicycles all over my state, and as long as you stay out of big cities, a 50cc scooter is just as safe on these roads. Like I said, I put 10,000 miles on a Met, at WOT on 65 mph roads. Never had a single incident where I felt threatened. Traffic could pass you several feet away. I still kept my 4 way flashers on, and even thought about having an orange slow moving vehicle triangle sewn onto the back of a jacket. Tractors and other farm machinery also uses these roads, with flashing yellow lights and orange triangles. They also stay as far to the right as possible, and even pull off the road and wait if several vehicles get lined up behind them.

Forde 12-04-2012 04:20 AM

Quote:

Looks like a stock Ruckus, but he apparently made changes to the variator to increase acceleration, which in turn decreases top speed.

no, he replaced the belt and rollers and maybe clutch springs, which are consumable parts and when worn would cause poor take off and this is why he says he replaced them, thus curing the problem.

JerryH 12-04-2012 07:22 PM

That looks like a differently worded ad. It says low mileage, but doesn't give the mileage. I sold my '07 Met with the original belt, clutch shoes and rollers, and 10,000 miles on it. It ran just as well as it did new. I replaced the belt on my Vino 125 at 12,000 miles, rollers and another belt at 24,000 miles, still has original clutch in it. Mostly highway miles without much stopping and starting. Rear tire lasted 5000 miles, front tire lasted 10,000 miles. Same brand, size, etc.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:53 AM.