ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   SS To Adv Transition (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845984)

AlxT 12-04-2012 07:01 AM

SS To Adv Transition
 
Hi all,

First post here, not even a noob yet so please be patient with me.

I am in the process of changing from almost 8 years in gsxrs to a used Adventure 990 2011 as i recently found myself settling in a place with lots of dirt and the street bikes are no fun around here. If the other guy doesnt get cold feet i should have the ktm by the end of next week.

Thing is that i have not a single clue from dirt bikes or KTMs whatsoever and also its my first time getting a used bike. So, I am in desperate need for some input on what to check before getting the Adv, what are its major weaknesses? After lots and lots of reading around here probably the gas pump tops the list but there should be other thins too, right?

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Alex.

Tapatalk @

cjracer 12-04-2012 07:06 AM

Welcome Alex.

Your first read should be this:
http://www.ktm950.info/

take the time to look everything over.

That will keep you from asking the same questions over and over again that have already been covered.

Safe travels,
CJ

AlxT 12-04-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjracer (Post 20174895)
Welcome Alex.

Your first read should be this:
http://www.ktm950.info/

take the time to look everything over.

That will keep you from asking the same questions over and over again that have already been covered.

Safe travels,
CJ

Thaks alot CJ, will do right away.
Guess the 950 and the 990 are not that different after all? Nevermind the question, saw the link and though it was 950 only.

Tapatalk @

Nailhead 12-05-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlxT (Post 20174940)
Guess the 950 and the 990 are not that different after all?

Pretty much the same other than carbs/FI, and some other smaller details I can't remember right now.

Usually this site is pretty damn informative.

Welcome to the fold.

GrenDesb 12-05-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlxT (Post 20174864)
Hi all,

First post here, not even a noob yet so please be patient with me.

I am in the process of changing from almost 8 years in gsxrs to a used Adventure 990 2011 as i recently found myself settling in a place with lots of dirt and the street bikes are no fun around here. If the other guy doesnt get cold feet i should have the ktm by the end of next week.

Thing is that i have not a single clue from dirt bikes or KTMs whatsoever and also its my first time getting a used bike. So, I am in desperate need for some input on what to check before getting the Adv, what are its major weaknesses? After lots and lots of reading around here probably the gas pump tops the list but there should be other thins too, right?

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Alex.

Tapatalk @

There are some components that need to be either upgraded or replaced preventatively. (Water pump, gas pump, clutch slave cylinder, ... )

Like other said, you'll find all the needed info here and on ktm950.info

Other than that, to really enjoy the beast, I would recommend an off road training.

I've taken a one training with and enduro/motocross teacher and it really helped me to improve my riding off road much faster than I could have done it myself.

There are aparently some good DVD's that can be bought (Dual sport riding techniques I think) but I did not try those.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014