ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Oldie but a Goody (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846063)

my6 12-04-2012 12:25 PM

Oldie but a Goody

I recently picked up a "Garmin Street Pilot III" in pristine condition for a whooping $35.00 off ebay. I met with the guy and he was the original purchaser. He even showed me the original receipt for it. $750.00!!!:eek1 I have owned one before but after loaning it to my Dad it came back non functional due to badly leaking batteries. Looks like Alien blood dripped inside it. Thanks Dad...Anyway, my plan is to remove my odo assembly(Xr650L) and mount it in it's place as I don't like the idea of electronics mounted high on the bars looking for a way to get torn off. I know an Inmate that used one of these on his ride to South America and back in all kinds of weather, so I trust the unit completely. So my question is has anyone else here done what I have in mind as to mounting their GSPIII or others as the main unit? If so post a pic, I'm looking for mounting ideas. Thanks... Dave

pschuyler 12-06-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my6 (Post 20176908)
I recently picked up a "Garmin Street Pilot III" in pristine condition for a whooping $35.00 off ebay. I met with the guy and he was the original purchaser. He even showed me the original receipt for it. $750.00!!!:eek1 I have owned one before but after loaning it to my Dad it came back non functional due to badly leaking batteries. Looks like Alien blood dripped inside it. Thanks Dad...Anyway, my plan is to remove my odo assembly(Xr650L) and mount it in it's place as I don't like the idea of electronics mounted high on the bars looking for a way to get torn off. I know an Inmate that used one of these on his ride to South America and back in all kinds of weather, so I trust the unit completely. So my question is has anyone else here done what I have in mind as to mounting their GSPIII or others as the main unit? If so post a pic, I'm looking for mounting ideas. Thanks... Dave

Are you able to update the maps on this unit?
Are you able to upload a route also?

my6 12-07-2012 11:34 AM

I spoke with Garmin and they said the last update was in 09 and I'm pretty sure he said that would be "THE" last one. For it's intended purpose that should suffice as the roads and trails I plan on riding/exploring have been around since just about the beginning of recorded history and for $35 how could I go wrong. :wink:

wbbnm 12-07-2012 02:22 PM

I used a III+ for years. You can update the maps. In fact the map memory was so limited that I had to create a new mapset for almost every ride.

I was able to upload routes to mine. I was only using Topo 100k at the time, so I don't know if the unit supports routeable maps.

You have to be really careful with your via and waypoint names since the unit truncates them to 8 characters and only saves the last one loaded.

And I don't know for sure if you can upload tracks.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:54 AM.