ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   What to use to re-attach ID plates / badges (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846131)

jva118 12-04-2012 05:45 PM

What to use to re-attach ID plates / badges

I have a 77 R60/7 that I need to re-attach the Id plates or badges on the motor. What is the best product for this? High heat silcone or rtv? What do you use?

wmax351 12-04-2012 05:59 PM

Gorilla Snot. In other words, trim adhesive for cars,

Bill Harris 12-04-2012 06:25 PM

3M Weatherstrip adhesive. Traditional yellow Gorilla Snot or low-key Black. Roughen up and clean with brake cleaner/acetone/evaproating solvent, apply a thin overall coat to both surfaces, let dry a few minutes, then a "medium" coat to one surface and apply. Removes from fingers, etc, with acetone (etc).

--Bill

jva118 12-04-2012 06:33 PM

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

boxerboy81 12-05-2012 06:15 AM

I used self tappers into the starter cover for the engine badges.

DaveBall 12-05-2012 08:08 AM

If you have a body shop near you, you can stop by and see if they have any partial tubes of emblem adhesive. You don't need a whole lot and they usually will be willing to pass along a tube that has only a bit left in it. Sometimes I have previously prepared the bike and emblems (cleaned them all up and ready to apply) and then dropped in with the bike and asked if they had an open tube that I could borrow, in exchange I offer to add a few bucks to their "coffee" fund.

oldroadie 12-05-2012 10:25 AM

I'm sure its wrong but I used a thin coating of JB Weld to attach mine. At least that's certain to be heat proof.

Ben Carufel 06-18-2013 04:21 PM

Bumping an old thread instead of starting a new one...

Is there a safe way to get gorilla snot off of the tank? It was losing its adhesive properties so I peeled both tank pads off and would like to clean the old snot off the backs of the pads and the tank before I apply new stuff...

Bill Harris 06-18-2013 05:05 PM

Acetone.

--Bill

Ben Carufel 06-18-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Harris (Post 21674667)
Acetone.

--Bill

Izzat safe on the tank paint?

Plaka 06-18-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Carufel (Post 21674836)
Izzat safe on the tank paint?

Define "safe". Just use it on the area under the emblem.

Personally I use a carbide triangular scraper, then acetone to tack it just before my adhesive.

I stick the emblems on (heavy cloisonne) with a variation of the "2gloo" technique. In the standard 2gloo routine you use a fast weak glue, like hot glue or super glue to hold the part in palce while a strong slow glue, adhesive silicone or epoxy, sets up. In the variation I use assembly tape (red) to hold it while silicone adhesive sets up. Assembly tape is incredibly strong on smooth surfaces and silicone adhesive is almost as strong if it has plenty of surface area and good prep. The dummy screws get silicone adhesive and are just held with masking tape.

Ben Carufel 06-18-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaka (Post 21675103)
Define "safe". Just use it on the area under the emblem.

Personally I use a carbide triangular scraper, then acetone to tack it just before my adhesive.

I stick the emblems on (heavy cloisonne) with a variation of the "2gloo" technique. In the standard 2gloo routine you use a fast weak glue, like hot glue or super glue to hold the part in palce while a strong slow glue, adhesive silicone or epoxy, sets up. In the variation I use assembly tape (red) to hold it while silicone adhesive sets up. Assembly tape is incredibly strong on smooth surfaces and silicone adhesive is almost as strong if it has plenty of surface area and good prep. The dummy screws get silicone adhesive and are just held with masking tape.

In this case I'm actually talking about the tank knee pads.

Plaka 06-18-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Carufel (Post 21675157)
In this case I'm actually talking about the tank knee pads.

Same prep. Don't scrape within 1/4" to 1/2" of the edges of the depression.

razor gasket scraper works better on the big areas.

Bill Harris 06-18-2013 09:12 PM

Should be safe enough for that paint under the 3M adhesive and the kneepads. It won't strip the paint-- you'd need MEK or Methyl Chloride for that. But test a hidden area first...

--Bill

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:07 PM.