ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Anyone in Tucson area want to show off their rotopax? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846329)

operaflute 12-05-2012 02:01 PM

Anyone in Tucson area want to show off their rotopax?

Wondering if anyone in the Tucson area owns a 1gal rotopax fuel container (or some such thing) and would like to show it off. Think I'm going to buy one, but I'd like to see one in person, hold it this way and that, scratch my head, and figure out how I might fit yet another thing on my tiny XT225 before ordering one of my own. So far haven't found a shop that stocks them here...
Thanks!

AzSpeedfreek 12-05-2012 11:26 PM

Try Sportsmans Warehouse, I think I have seen something like this there before.

operaflute 12-06-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek (Post 20188114)

Thanks. I'll give them a call today.

Pucker 12-06-2012 10:20 AM

I'm not near Tucson, but I can speak for the Rotopax products. I did a lot of research before buying, and they have a far superior reputation than anything else for good reason. They're larger than you'd expect for a 1-gallon jug, because they're heavily reinforced and have surprisingly thick walls. I have one on each side of my bike, mounted to Wolfman luggage racks, and they're tougher than you'll ever need them to be.

My XR650L weighs 350lbs, and I lay it down in dirt, sand, and rocks regularly. The Rotopax are always the first thing to touch the ground and they are nearly bullet proof. I even had a high speed get-off last year through rocks & trees that left me with a broken femur. The luggage racks and the subframe were bent so badly the tire would no longer clear, but the Rotopax didn't budge or spill a drop.

You can also use them to drive tent stakes into the ground or smack some sense into a charging rhinoceros. I understand you want to see & hold them first, but I promise you can buy them sight unseen and end up happy.

My $.02

operaflute 12-06-2012 10:38 AM

I agree - it looks like a great product. I decided on that rather than upgrading the bike's tank, because the rotopax is not only cheaper, but can be switched from bike to bike. It's not the quality, I really question. It's just trying to envision how to get it on my bike. That sort of thing is easier for me if I can actually hold the thing in my hands, if that makes sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pucker (Post 20190443)
I'm not near Tucson, but I can speak for the Rotopax products. I did a lot of research before buying, and they have a far superior reputation than anything else for good reason. They're larger than you'd expect for a 1-gallon jug, because they're heavily reinforced and have surprisingly thick walls. I have one on each side of my bike, mounted to Wolfman luggage racks, and they're tougher than you'll ever need them to be.

My XR650L weighs 350lbs, and I lay it down in dirt, sand, and rocks regularly. The Rotopax are always the first thing to touch the ground and they are nearly bullet proof. I even had a high speed get-off last year through rocks & trees that left me with a broken femur. The luggage racks and the subframe were bent so badly the tire would no longer clear, but the Rotopax didn't budge or spill a drop.

You can also use them to drive tent stakes into the ground or smack some sense into a charging rhinoceros. I understand you want to see & hold them first, but I promise you can buy them sight unseen and end up happy.

My $.02

bisbonian 12-06-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operaflute (Post 20190567)
I agree - it looks like a great product. I decided on that rather than upgrading the bike's tank, because the rotopax is not only cheaper, but can be switched from bike to bike. It's not the quality, I really question. It's just trying to envision how to get it on my bike. That sort of thing is easier for me if I can actually hold the thing in my hands, if that makes sense.

Send a PM to SeanF.

He's in Tucson and I know he has rotopax for his DR650.

seabee1 12-06-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pucker (Post 20190443)

My $.02

Well - talk about a glowing review! I'm sold.

Would they work on a charging water buffalo? :rofl

operaflute 12-06-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Send a PM to SeanF.
Thanks! Done!

Quote:

A little web-searchy tells me they just have the larger Kolpin containers. I think my little loaded down burro would prefer a smaller one!

Skelt 12-06-2012 10:59 PM

I have two one gal and the "T" mounts with the extender so they can be stacked. You can check them out if you want. I'm on my way to the motorcycle show in Long Beach now, but will be back Tuesday. pm me if you want to see them. They might even be for sale.

operaflute 12-06-2012 11:15 PM

Will definitely find you when you get back. Thanks.

HoosierTrailmaster 12-07-2012 01:13 PM

I have a 1.5 gallon gas or a 2 gallon water I mount on my 990 ADV. I use the T mount set up to a custom bracket top mounted on my Touratech pannier mount. In certain ways the 2 gallon is better than the 1.5 as it is flatter and makes for a perfect platform for duffel bags and such. Of course the 990 is a bigger bike than the DR 650. Also, side note, the water specified container is cheaper than the gas, but they are exactly the same plastic. If you don't mind it getting discolored, I believe the white one is half the cost of the red one.

operaflute 12-07-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Of course the 990 is a bigger bike than the DR 650.
And much bigger than my little XT225!

Quote:

Also, side note, the water specified container is cheaper than the gas, but they are exactly the same plastic.
Aha! Did not know that. Wonder if the spout differs.

seabee1 12-07-2012 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=HoosierTrailmaster; but they are exactly the same plastic. [/QUOTE]

Are you sure the chemical compound is exactly the same?

HoosierTrailmaster 12-07-2012 07:11 PM

No, I have not done a spectrograph on it, but my buddy has been using his "water" Rotopax for gas for 2 years and it hasn't eaten through yet.

operaflute 12-10-2012 04:12 PM

Had a look-see at one today. Definitely looks do-able. Can even cram it IN my saddlebag if I need to!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:36 PM.