ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Americas (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Los Angeles to Miami - in January?? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847156)

steinbeisser 12-08-2012 02:33 PM

Los Angeles to Miami - in January??

Hi Folks,

we are traveling from the end of December from LA, California to Miami, FL. We have do be there on Feb 20,

What happens in the winter on this Strech and what we have to see, where we need to go?

Riding on two KTM 640 adventure, so, off road will be fine.

Cheers Bernd

Alcan Rider 12-08-2012 02:51 PM

You will undoubtedly get many responses from riders intimately familiar with recommended destinations all along that route, so I'll just throw in some basic advice: First, go south to San Diego so you can ride east on I-8 over the mountains. You might be surprised how nasty the weather can be just a bit farther north that time of year.

Other than that, I highly recommend going south along the Rio Grande River through the Big Bend country, from Presidio, TX eastward. It looks as though you will have a lot of time to enjoy the ride, with lots of side trips all the way across the states. Have fun, be safe, and take lots of photos. We'll expect a complete ride report at the end. :D

acejones 12-09-2012 03:57 PM

It would not be unheard of to get snow on I-10 west of El Paso.

kobukan 12-09-2012 06:08 PM

Generally, just stay south and stay out of the mountains and you should be ok. In the southwest it's all about elevation - stay at lower elevations for warm temps and clear roads. I-8 to I-10 across AZ to NM should be warm and clear.

superkram 12-10-2012 02:36 PM

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844386

I'll be doing the same thing December 21 to January 5th. Right now my plan is to slab it between Orlando and Tucson on I-10, then see how the weather holds for the Tucson/Los Angeles leg of the trip. Ideally, I'd like to go into LA the southern route via back routes near I-8, then loop back through Joshua Tree National Park via I-10 on the return leg. December 29th to January 3rd will be 5 days of fun riding between Los Angeles & and Austin.

Eastbound from Austin... weather will be much less of an issue. We just don't get snow, but might get cold snaps. Other than rain or unexpected deer, your biggest worry from Houston eastward would probably be the possibility of thick fog. Since I need to be back at work on January 7th (and have ridden several times between FL/Louisiana) I plan to just slab it during Jan 4-6 from Austin to Orlando on I-10.

kantuckid 12-15-2012 05:52 AM

I/we delivered my Son's car from KY to SanDiego a few yrs back,say 2006 and it was Jan when we crossed the higher elevations on the I road west of Alb.,NM early in the a.m., having spent the night in that city where it was very pleasant. I remember the car indicating ~5degrees which is chilly on a bike.

steinbeisser 12-21-2012 05:21 PM

thanks guys!

after a couple of days without internet is see your postings. all in all its not so bad, i will check out the road numbers, when we have fast internet and than we can plan much better.

cheers for now,

bernd from the southern tip of the baja ;-)

gasandasphalt 12-22-2012 08:02 AM

I live right on I-10 in southern New Mexico, if it were me,,, I would do as the Harley guys do,,,, load bike on trailer and drive your car. (just make sure your heater is working well.) Mornings here have been in the 'teens'.....:cry

kobukan 12-22-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasandasphalt (Post 20307284)
I live right on I-10 in southern New Mexico, if it were me,,, I would do as the Harley guys do,,,, load bike on trailer and drive your car. (just make sure your heater is working well.) Mornings here have been in the 'teens'.....:cry

What are the daytime temps? I did a lot of riding in southeastern AZ last Jan & Feb at 5k'+ elevations and although mornings were cold it warmed up very quickly to temps in the 60's and 70's every day.

gasandasphalt 12-22-2012 10:56 AM

Daytime temps. running from 35 to 50deg. at 4335 ft.

AceRph 01-17-2013 04:45 PM

http://acerph.smugmug.com/Motorcycle...IMG_2919-L.jpg

Bernd & Heidi.

acejones 01-20-2013 12:17 PM

Today, on the portion old I-10 along the Mississippi coast it is in the low/mid 60's

steinbeisser 01-23-2013 11:38 AM

hi adv'ler!

you are so great people here in the us!!! we meet so nice and helpful people, just amazing!! thanks a lot guys!!!

tomorow we are leaving vegas, heading to the grand canyon, than to roswell - long strech!

cheers from the strip ;-)

heidi and bernd

FLARider1 01-25-2013 03:04 AM

Give me a shout when you get over to the east coast and south. I live in Homestead, FL, just south of Miami and out of the stress of the city. Always fun to meet up with travelers as they pass through.

What are your plans when reaching Miami?

Jamie Z 01-25-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steinbeisser (Post 20557911)
hi adv'ler!

you are so great people here in the us!!! we meet so nice and helpful people, just amazing!! thanks a lot guys!!!

tomorow we are leaving vegas, heading to the grand canyon, than to roswell - long strech!

cheers from the strip ;-)

heidi and bernd

Looks like you've found and used the Tent Space! :clap

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:48 PM.