ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Australia (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Arai XD-4 helmet whistling. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847409)

Scotty4x4 12-09-2012 03:12 PM

Arai XD-4 helmet whistling.
 
Hey everyone

I just brought a arai XD-4 adventure helmet, anyway I get it home take it for a ride and find that any speed over 40 it whistles like a vortex throwing ball thing. Rang arai got some recommendations and he said check for leaks around the visor and just locate the noise. The noise comes from the sun visor/peak of the helmet. I took it back after a week to shop I brought it off and I was told it was normal for a arai helmet to whistle. And she said to get use to it.
The thing that annoys me is the fact I brought a $800 dollar helmet that is worse than my old $200 dirt bike helmet.

So my question is does anyone else have a arai XD-4 and do they find they whistle? Not just wind noise, but whistle like one of those vortex throwing balls

Dr AT 12-09-2012 03:25 PM

MIne doesn't whistle, but apparenlty on some bikes the intake vents on the visor can whistle if left open . If closing them improves the whistle you cold consider using one of the xd 3 or older visors which didn't have the vents?

Wasca 12-09-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty4x4 (Post 20212907)
Hey everyone

I just brought a arai XD-4 adventure helmet, anyway I get it home take it for a ride and find that any speed over 40 it whistles like a vortex throwing ball thing. Rang arai got some recommendations and he said check for leaks around the visor and just locate the noise. The noise comes from the sun visor/peak of the helmet. I took it back after a week to shop I brought it off and I was told it was normal for a arai helmet to whistle. And she said to get use to it.
The thing that annoys me is the fact I brought a $800 dollar helmet that is worse than my old $200 dirt bike helmet.

So my question is does anyone else have a arai XD-4 and do they find they whistle? Not just wind noise, but whistle like one of those vortex throwing balls

I've got one and can't report hearing any defined whistling noise. You do get your normal wind noise but that's about it. Overall I'm very happy with my Arai XD4. Any chance you can get it exchanged as defective? Would be happy to vouch for you that the whistling noise is not normal.

Hendo66 12-09-2012 03:41 PM

No whistling from outside, only from me inside because I am happy :) best helmet yet.
I'm sure you've tried placing your hands up around the visor to try & pin point the area making the noise?
I would also try another bike to check its not turbulence related from bike????

After that take it back and request trying another helmet.

DR-DRZ 12-09-2012 03:54 PM

[QUOTE=Hendo66;20213081]
I would also try another bike to check its not turbulence related from bike????

+/QUOTE]

+1 on this, if you have a fairing of some sort, it might be directing air at the peak causing the whistle.
You could even just try standing up and get into some clean air.

Wallaby_Ted 12-09-2012 05:33 PM

Had the same problem. For me it was generated at the back of the peak (or tailing edge). I stuck a bit of foam (about 2-3mm thick) on the underside of the peak at the back to disturb the airflow and that has worked. When I get a chance I'll post a pic.

Wallaby_Ted 12-09-2012 05:35 PM

Ps - mIne did it standing, sitting and everything in between so I concluded it wasn't bike related

mcguyver 12-09-2012 05:41 PM

Mines heaps quieter than my Old XD3. Is the airflow coming off your bike causing it perhaps?

Clancy 12-09-2012 08:53 PM

I've got one and it doesn't whistle. Like someione else has said, it may depend on air flow over the front of your bike and the direction it hits your helmet from. Mine's a lot quieter then the previous model.

R&R4adv 12-09-2012 09:16 PM

Mines not whisling but found if i closed the brow vents in the visor the wind noise is alot less.

Andy_P 12-09-2012 09:36 PM

Mine does not whistle either, but it did when I broke one of the pinlock pins. Now has a piece of tape over the pinlock hole and problem gone.

philth 12-09-2012 09:46 PM

why do lady parachutists wear parachute pants?
so they dont whistle on the way down

GodSilla 12-09-2012 11:08 PM

What tune is the helmet whistling? This is important, as different tunes signify different things.

For instance, if it's whistling Dixie you need to join the Rebels and get the confederate rockers on your jacket. If it's whistling I Should Be So Lucky, then wear a little skirt and go acting. If it's whistling like a kettle, bring a tea bag......you get the idea.






:augie

DR-DRZ 12-09-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodSilla (Post 20215553)
What tune is the helmet whistling? This is important, as different tunes signify different things.

For instance, if it's whistling Dixie you need to join the Rebels and get the confederate rockers on your jacket. If it's whistling I Should Be So Lucky, then wear a little skirt and go acting. If it's whistling like a kettle, bring a tea bag......you get the idea.






:augie

Good to see your taking this whistling issue seriously:freaky

searchin oz 12-09-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philth (Post 20215378)
why do lady parachutists wear parachute pants?
so they dont whistle on the way down

I wonder if she has tried standing up?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014