ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Vendor for Chain and Sprocket kit for 2007 990 ADV (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848155)

dwj - Donnie 12-12-2012 08:29 AM

Vendor for Chain and Sprocket kit for 2007 990 ADV

Hi!

What is a good source (cheapest price) for a chain and sprocket kit for my 2007 990 ADV? I want something of equal quality too the original chain and sprockets with the stock gearing. I will probably go with the clip type chain. I bought a rivet tool from Cycle gear, but can't seem to figure out how to use it! :roflThanks!

Donnie

buzybraza 12-12-2012 08:35 AM

options

There are many options out there and I will let you decide. Just a word of caution: Stay away from any KRAUSE SIDEWINDER stuff. In my experience overpriced stuff and hard people to deal with. Here is my previous thread on this:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613203

el queso 12-12-2012 08:56 AM

When it comes time, I will go with a Dirt Tricks Ironman sprocket set. I've been running DT sprockets on my dirt bike, and they are holding up great. They have good combo pricing too.

cjracer 12-12-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie (Post 20232880)
Hi!

What is a good source (cheapest price) for a chain and sprocket kit for my 2007 990 ADV? I want something of equal quality too the original chain and sprockets with the stock gearing. I will probably go with the clip type chain. I bought a rivet tool from Cycle gear, but can't seem to figure out how to use it! :roflThanks!

Donnie

We run OEM KTM or Superprox sprockets with DIDzvmx plated chains. (last longer and less rusting than OEM chain) Long life and performance we trust on our bikes. This size of bike should use a rivet link chain. They come in 120 links, we can cut them to 118- stock length if you want.

If you let me know what sprocket choice you prefer we can put a kit together for you. 16 or 17tooth front, and 42,45,47,49 tooth rears in stock.

Safe travels,
cj

Dustodust 12-12-2012 09:39 AM

just dont use a hardened sprocket on the countershaft it could wear out the splines because the metal is too hard .

ElRod 12-12-2012 01:35 PM

Maybe a dumb question and lord knows it wouldn't be the first and likely not the last. Can a chain be purchased already riveted like all the rest of the links without having to use a master link or buying a riveting tool? I realize the swingarm would have to be moved out of the way to install. Anything else?

Hipster 12-12-2012 02:42 PM

Unless you plan on removing the swing arm anyway for servicing, with the time and effort involved in removing parts, you would be further ahead just buying a riveting tool.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElRod (Post 20235127)
Maybe a dumb question and lord knows it wouldn't be the first and likely not the last. Can a chain be purchased already riveted like all the rest of the links without having to use a master link or buying a riveting tool? I realize the swingarm would have to be moved out of the way to install. Anything else?

ElRod 12-12-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipster (Post 20235650)
Unless you plan on removing the swing arm anyway for servicing, with the time and effort involved in removing parts, you would be further ahead just buying a riveting tool.

Well, it's nearly time to replace the chain and I've never had the swingarm off to inspect and re-lubricate the bearings. So, if I'm going to do it anyway.....

Another thing, it would also be a good time to have the shock serviced. Would anyone care to advise of a reputable place to send it out to?

buzybraza 12-12-2012 04:08 PM

piston vs bladder

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElRod (Post 20236151)
Well, it's nearly time to replace the chain and I've never had the swingarm off to inspect and re-lubricate the bearings. So, if I'm going to do it anyway.....

Another thing, it would also be a good time to have the shock serviced. Would anyone care to advise of a reputable place to send it out to?

What I am about to say is probably going to get a lot of people fired up, but here it goes...... WP shock absorbers are different from the bladder type ones so send it to a place where they can get all the air out. I know precision concepts and slavens racing have the WP machine that does the job right.
You could also possibly convert you piston type WP to a bladder, if you do so any suspension shop can service it.

Hipster 12-13-2012 04:39 AM

Like Buzybraza said, there are a few knowledgeable WP shops around, I just sent my shock off to MX-Tech Supsension for servicing http://www.mx-tech.com/?url=services
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElRod (Post 20236151)

DSM8 12-13-2012 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjracer (Post 20233394)
We run OEM KTM or Superprox sprockets with DIDzvmx plated chains. (last longer and less rusting than OEM chain) Long life and performance we trust on our bikes. This size of bike should use a rivet link chain. They come in 120 links, we can cut them to 118- stock length if you want.

If you let me know what sprocket choice you prefer we can put a kit together for you. 16 or 17tooth front, and 42,45,47,49 tooth rears in stock.

Safe travels,
cj

^This Craig takes great care of his customers abd ride the hell out of his 950 his products are the result of real.world testing I trust his opinion on matters like this

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:13 PM.