ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Jesse luggage is back, but I'm feeling soft ..... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848402)

hardwaregrrl 12-13-2012 10:25 AM

Jesse luggage is back, but I'm feeling soft .....

So, I know it was a sore point for some G/S and GS riders when Jesse Luggage systems stopped making their bags....well they're back for the time being. I am in no way affiliated with Jesse, in fact another inmate here is making me a set a throw overs but thought someone would like to know.

Look here.

SOLO LOBO 12-13-2012 11:27 AM

Check the reviews of folks who had these and actually ride off-road....

For me personally, I wouldn't buy these after watching a ride try and use his on a five day off-road ride.

Let's just say there were many, many stops where he had to bang the bagks and mounts with rocks, duct tape, tie downs, etc... and this was with a set of bags that was almost new...

I know A H had an interesting experience as well

hardwaregrrl 12-13-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO (Post 20241675)
Check the reviews of folks who had these and actually ride off-road....

For me personally, I wouldn't buy these after watching a ride try and use his on a five day off-road ride.

Let's just say there were many, many stops where he had to bang the bagks and mounts with rocks, duct tape, tie downs, etc... and this was with a set of bags that was almost new...

I know A H had an interesting experience as well

I agree, just wanted road riders that like the Jesse system to know they've made a few more sets. I know Bgoodsoil modified his rack and the bags are rock solid....

Uncle Pollo 12-13-2012 11:43 AM

solo seat and duffel bag on the rest of the subframe should do it, eh?

DiabloADV 12-13-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl (Post 20241266)
... throw overs ....

:beer

ME 109 12-13-2012 11:59 AM

Couldn't be any worse than oe cases from a GS?
I saw a friend drop his 1200 GS at walking pace on a muddy road, broke the left case and was unable to re-attach it in any way. And it bent the sub-frame where the case mounted. What a major repair, complete new sub frame.
Pathetic.
Me no buy 1200 GS.

H96669 12-13-2012 01:36 PM

Bugger he is making bags for them again.:clap Means the old Jesses I have here have lost some value.:wink:Will never use them,not exactly my style big bags, and was going to sell them.:rofl

pecos 12-13-2012 01:39 PM

I have a set if anyone wants them.

hardwaregrrl 12-13-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pecos (Post 20242447)
I have a set if anyone wants them.

ha ha!!!:rofl This is so not they way I thought this thread would go...but I did have all the best intentions.:D Flame away!!!!!:lol3

chollo9 12-13-2012 03:09 PM

Not anti-Jesse, can't be, never owned 'em. But I'm decidedly anti-hard bags, 'cause I've owned them.

Never had to straighten a soft bag to get it reattached, never had a soft bag injure me.

Gettin' me some new throw covers, I mean throw overs. :freaky

Airhead Wrangler 12-13-2012 03:24 PM

Looks like the design has changed yet again, but still looks like it was designed by someone with the common sense of a 5 year old. All the weight hanging off the back of the frame with no lower attachment to the main frame equals a bent subframe. I ordered mine and was told it would take 1 month to deliver them. 5 months later when I finally received them after numerous promises of "next week," I received a completely different rack and mounting system than what they'd shown me in photos (there were no photos of the G/S bags on their website at the time). They said this new design was "better." The whole mess was really poorly made and did not fit my subframe at all. I was told to stack washers under it until everything lined up right. Great. It only took me two weeks of solo use on pavement (well, dalton highway too, but that's like pavement) before my subframe cracked. Zero contact with the ground and I pack pretty light too. I sent them back. I was then charged a $200 "restocking fee" which I was only informed of AFTER shipping them back. That was the icing on the cake of an all around horrible experience with Jesse luggage. It's too bad, because the boxes themselves were pretty nicely made, but suffered from an absolutely idiotic mounting system. I've since seen 4 other designs they've used to attach their boxes to airhead GSs, each one completely unique and different from those before it and all of them completely ridiculous.

Twilight Error 12-13-2012 03:26 PM

I've waffled a lot on Jesse Bags.

I want them because they can carry so much stuff!

I don't want them because I'd end up carrying far more than I need!

The first rule of packing for a trip: Ever cubic centimeter will be used, no matter how many you have available.

The places I want to go aren't very friendly to big bikes, and they're outright hostile to overoaded big bikes. So I'll stick with the stock cases my 1150 came with and the Givi top case. If I can't carry it between those three containers and my pillion seat, I can live without it.

One Less Harley 12-13-2012 04:07 PM

Wolfman expedition bags are the way to go, if using a G/S the way God intended...now if on pavement HardBags are good.

chollo9 12-13-2012 04:41 PM

OK, A.H., I am anti-Jesse.

Houseoffubar 12-15-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chollo9 (Post 20243548)
OK, A.H., I am anti-Jesse.

Yeah, nothing like a voice of authority to convince, Eh?!?:lol3

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:02 PM.