ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Ride for Dad (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851209)

Alphamale11 12-26-2012 08:32 PM

Ride for Dad

Hello all. My father died January this year. He was diagnosed with lung cancer on my birthday and passed 10 days later. He was a true rider, averaging 12-15,000 miles a year. He always said that every man should own or ride a Harley just once. In 2009 he bought his first, a brand new Heritage Classic. When he passed, I purchased it from my step mother. We'd discussed riding up the coast in recent years, but it just never happened. So I'm leaving in January on my birthday with his bike to make that ride.

I'll be starting in Yuma and heading to Cambria/San Simeon Campground on Day 1.
On Day 2, I'll ride up to San Francisco and cross the Golden Gate Bridge before turning around to camp at a KOA in Santa Cruz. On both days I'll ride just along the coast, avoiding any Interstate.
Day 3 I'll leave Santa Cruz and take the 101 to Paso Robles.
Day 4, Paso to Kingman AZ. (highway 46 to I5 to the 58/40 all the way Kingman)
Day 5, Home to Tucson.

Anyone is welcome to join me for any length of the ride.

Kap 12-26-2012 09:30 PM

Sounds like fun, have a good ride for your dad.

sealsam 12-27-2012 07:44 AM

My condolences. A very nice tribute for your dad.

Just north of San Simeon is Naci-Ferg Rd. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nacimiento-Fergusson_Road

Take it up a few miles and enjoy the peace and quiet with some unbelievable views.

Good on ya for carrying out you and your dad's dream ride.

TUCKERS 12-27-2012 01:01 PM

Nice tribute.

Yuma to Cambria in one day? Get up early then. That's a pretty big day with the early dark.

Let us know when it's on. Maybe we'll ride too.

cyberdos 12-27-2012 01:41 PM

This is fantastic to hear. Very cool thing you're doing. Wish I could join you for a leg. Enjoy the ride. I'm sure you will no matter what.

Alphamale11 12-27-2012 04:22 PM

I'm planning on leaving Yuma by 6 or 7. Into San Diego before 9 and on up. Maybe a stop for breakfast at Kono's. I'll send you a PM when I leave.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUCKERS (Post 20338894)
Nice tribute.

Yuma to Cambria in one day? Get up early then. That's a pretty big day with the early dark.

Let us know when it's on. Maybe we'll ride too.

Bob 12-27-2012 04:57 PM

Good luck and have fun!
Check with caltrans 1800 GAS ROAD, hwy 1 is closed with limited access north of Cambria.

bent forks 12-27-2012 04:57 PM

You say January but not what day?:deal

RebelYell 12-27-2012 05:00 PM

Condolences and prayers to you n your father.I wish I could ride w you for that trip.I lost my dad nearly 20 years ago and he never rode a motorcycle:(

Alphamale11 12-27-2012 05:31 PM

Sorry. Leaving Yuma, AZ on January 3rd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bent forks (Post 20340303)
You say January but not what day?:deal

Mr. G 12-27-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphamale11 (Post 20340093)
I'm planning on leaving Yuma by 6 or 7. Into San Diego before 9 and on up. Maybe a stop for breakfast at Kono's. I'll send you a PM when I leave.

Leaving San Diego at 9:00, you will have a hard time making San Simeon by dark. You will also be stuck on the freeway till you hit Dana Point.

The whole stretch between San Diego and Ventura will be a frustrating exercise whether on freeways or streets.

May I suggest taking the 15 freeway north from San Diego to the 210 freeway west in Ranch Cucamonga. Take the 210 west to the 118 west. through Simi Valley. Get off the 118 in Moorpark on Los Angeles Ave. and then ride through farmland to the coast and points north. Using that route, you will chop many hours off of a street ride up the coast through the L. A. Area (you will also shorten time wise, the ride thorough L. A. on the freeways).

There are a number of nice campgrounds on the beach north of Ventura if you want to stop for the night short of San Simeon IE: Carperteria SB, Gaviota SB, El Capitan SB, Refugio SB, and a bunch in the Pismo Beach area.

Depending on the day and my work schedule, I may ride with you a bit through Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties. What is the date are you leaving (also your birthday)?

Mr. G 12-27-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphamale11 (Post 20340532)
Sorry. Leaving Yuma, AZ on January 3rd.

Yes, I could make time on Jan 3rd.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:50 PM.