ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Hand grip removal (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852646)

Sabre170 01-02-2013 11:25 AM

Hand grip removal

Anyone have any good techniques/methods to remove hand grips with out destroying them? I'm converting to clip ons.

pkboxer 01-02-2013 11:28 AM

Blow em

If you have access to a compressor, plug anyholes in the end of one grip and fill the handlebar with compressed air from the other end.

Make a quasi-air tight seal around your air nossle.

Sometimes the grips will shoot off without even touching them.

Or have someone else wiggle it off.

Other than that, squirt something liquid (WD40) under the grip and wiggle it off.

hardwaregrrl 01-02-2013 11:50 AM

Windex is the bomb! I wedge a small flat head under the grip to have a channel to spray the windex into, then i slowly work the screwdriver around. Then grab the end and shes off!

dualsportride 01-02-2013 11:53 AM

Muscle and lubrication. The air compressor trick works, but if you run bark busters you have to cut the end off the grip and that makes it a little harder. If you get wd-40 with the red little straw that helps get under the grip, and I have found that the warmer the grip the easier it is to peel off.

Sabre170 01-02-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dualsportride (Post 20379001)
Muscle and lubrication. The air compressor trick works, but if you run bark busters you have to cut the end off the grip and that makes it a little harder. If you get wd-40 with the red little straw that helps get under the grip, and I have found that the warmer the grip the easier it is to peel off.

Just my luck....it is 39F in my garage. I don't see warming them up too much of an option. Haha!

I was kinda thinking WD-40 myself. Thanks for confirming that!!!

Kai Ju 01-02-2013 12:13 PM

Personally I would not use any type of lubrication, +1 on blowing them off with air. There is no guarantee that you'll get all the lube off and there is nothing worse than a loose grip while you're riding.
If you have an open end it still works and you don't have to plug any of the holes.
You may have to ask a helper to hold the other side on while you're installing the grip because it may blow off on it's own.

disston 01-02-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kai Ju (Post 20379144)
Personally I would not use any type of lubrication, +1 on blowing them off with air. There is no guarantee that you'll get all the lube off and there is nothing worse than a loose grip while you're riding.
If you have an open end it still works and you don't have to plug any of the holes.
You may have to ask a helper to hold the other side on while you're installing the grip because it may blow off on it's own.

No, No, No. The worst thing is a big bug flies into your mouth when you are going 85 mph and you have to swallow it. :lol3

norwstrider 01-02-2013 02:23 PM

Ok here is my "I'm to cheep to by new grips" trick. Slide your thinnest long blade, flat screw driver as far under the grip as you can, then slide the plastic tube on your contact cleaner spray can in beside the screw driver, squirt, pull the plastic tube and screw driver out and then twist the grip off the handle bar. If that doesn't work someone must have glued them on with super glue. And its time for the utility knife.

motog 01-02-2013 02:53 PM

I've used my wife's hairdryer to heat them up to make them easier to remove. Also soaked a towel in boiling water and wrapped it around them and pulled them off (after putting on some leather gloves).

DaveBall 01-02-2013 07:01 PM

Hair dryer to warm them up and make them more plyable. Then take your air hose with a nozzle on it and stick it under the edge of the grip. Have that compressor cranked up and work the air nozzle around the grip as best you can. Even if somebody used some glue, the heat and then forced air usually breaks them free.

squish 01-02-2013 07:41 PM

Rallypro grips cost ten bucks. My time to remove a grip is worth morer then that.

But heres what I do. Using a little plastic syringe I squirt a little dish soap under the grip. Then using compressed air I blow the grip off.

Houseoffubar 01-02-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl (Post 20378976)
Windex is the bomb! I wedge a small flat head under the grip to have a channel to spray the windex into, then i slowly work the screwdriver around. Then grab the end and shes off!

+1 I use air, but if not available, some windex will do the trick, and does not leave the grip lubed, semi permanently, like wd-40

Kai Ju 01-02-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disston (Post 20379781)
No, No, No. The worst thing is a big bug flies into your mouth when you are going 85 mph and you have to swallow it. :lol3

I was ready with a witty reply but my mouth was full.....:eek1

old paul 01-02-2013 09:05 PM

I always slide a hacksaw blade under the inner edge and work it around several times. Soon it breaks loose. To install I simply pour in some rubbing alcohol and slide it on. In a few minutes it is on tight, never slips and comes off pretty easy next time.

konaunit1 01-02-2013 09:28 PM

I have found that a little electrical cleaner with the little plastic straw works great work it under the grip spray and twist. takes a bit but the grip comes right off. The elctrical cleaner evaporates quickly leaving no gunk. I do the same putting my grips on also. Never had one slip.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:36 PM.