ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Battery options for 2012 GSA with ABS and ESA (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853168)

Chip Stevens 01-04-2013 11:29 AM

Battery options for 2012 GSA with ABS and ESA
 
My 2012 GSA needs a new battery. From years of experience with Odyssey I am partial to their batteries. As most of you know the GSA for the years 08-09 and 10+ uses a smaller battery then the other GSs and GSAs. On thes forum I have read of people putting a PC535 in a GSA with fin modifications. These posts don't indicate if the GSA had ESA or not. My question is will a PC535 fit in a 2012 GSA that has ESA?
Those of you that have experience with the Odyssey PC535 and the Braille B14115 how would you compair the two? If the Braille is about the same as the Odyssey it would be nice because it looks like a drop in with no modifications. chip

Hikertrash 01-04-2013 04:10 PM

Why not get a new one under warranty? Mine shit the bed after a year and was just replaced.

SourKraut 01-04-2013 04:34 PM

Yeah, I'd be curious to hear how/why it failed?

Chip Stevens 01-04-2013 06:40 PM

The origonal battery lasted about 9 months. It will no longer take a full charge and as a result spins the moter slow. If I had not been able to ride for a week I would put it on a battery tender plus until it shows a full charge then take it off the charger. It would usually top off in a hour or two. As for the warranty, if the BMW battery isn't good why would I want another one? It might save me a few dollars and it wight leave me where it would cost me a lot more then a battery. chip

VEGASGSA 01-04-2013 07:25 PM

All three of mine have ate their batteries in less than a year..all have been replaced with Interstate AGM, with great results..not lighter, nor cool sounding but solid performance.

Hikertrash 01-04-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip Stevens (Post 20398174)
The origonal battery lasted about 9 months. It will no longer take a full charge and as a result spins the moter slow. If I had not been able to ride for a week I would put it on a battery tender plus until it shows a full charge then take it off the charger. It would usually top off in a hour or two. As for the warranty, if the BMW battery isn't good why would I want another one? It might save me a few dollars and it wight leave me where it would cost me a lot more then a battery. chip

Well at least get it replaced and save it to sell, give to a friend or a backup. No sense in throwing away a free battery.

BigDave75 01-06-2013 03:19 PM

I just installed a Full Spectrum P2 lithium Ion in mine. Running the same battery in my ZX-14 and have had excellent luck with it!

SkiFly01 01-07-2013 08:41 AM

I went lithium, Braille G9
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8294/7...d4f4a2a9_c.jpg

sunlinden 01-07-2013 09:43 AM

early 2008 GS and still on original battery for 5 1/2 yrs, so some do last. I use a standard low voltage charger (2 amp) and hook it directly to the battery and fully charged throughout the winter.

ghostryder 01-07-2013 10:25 AM

Put a Braille in my GS and loved it. Just picked up a 12 and can definitely notice the difference. Going to order one soon to replace the OEM battery.

kaosrider 01-07-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunlinden (Post 20418826)
early 2008 GS and still on original battery for 5 1/2 yrs, so some do last. I use a standard low voltage charger (2 amp) and hook it directly to the battery and fully charged throughout the winter.

I think it is time for me to replace my original battery. I have a 2007 GS :evil, it still works but is starting to struggle. These lithium look like the way to go.

Thanks,

Boondox 01-07-2013 03:34 PM

Somewhere I heard that lithium batteries don't function as well in cold. Any truth to that? I ride till the ice builds up, which this year meant I was riding into the high single digits above zero.

My 2010 is harder to start below 32F than my 2007. Not sure I want to add a cold-phobic battery to the mix...

ultane 01-07-2013 08:49 PM

Does anyone know how the Shorai lithium batteries do in the camheads?


I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,... Is he still wrong?


Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDave75 01-08-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boondox (Post 20421609)
Somewhere I heard that lithium batteries don't function as well in cold. Any truth to that? I ride till the ice builds up, which this year meant I was riding into the high single digits above zero.

My 2010 is harder to start below 32F than my 2007. Not sure I want to add a cold-phobic battery to the mix...


I was told to cycle the key on and off two or three times before starting on exceptionally cold days and there would be no problem. I have started my ZX-14 on 15 degree days and never had an issue. Hasn't gotten that cold yet with the new one in my GSA so not sure if there will be an issue or not.

WindSailor 01-08-2013 07:48 AM

Here's a couple of threads that I thought had good information on Lithium batteries -

What kind of battery for adventuring, is Lithium up to the challenge?

From the 'Vendors section' - Antigravity Batteries latest incarnations and discount

Motorcycle Batteries .. AGM, GEL, Wet, Lithium Iron Phosphate (Li-ion)

For me, AGM, Odyssey etc. still work just fine.

For a cutting edge battery they seem a little finicky... I'll wait.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014