ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   BMW tires that scary? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853817)

Quin 01-07-2013 07:23 AM

BMW tires that scary?
 
Let me start off by saying I found a place, finally. But I have called 10 different places to get my new heidenau's mounted and every place either says they can't mount tires I bought for insurance reasons or they are not interested in mounting them on a BMW or a brand they haven't heard of. :huh

Yes I have heard the sidewalls are stiff on these things but really?

Thus ends my rant.

On a side note since I am taking the wheels in myself should I take off the front rotors or am I ok to leave them on?

lanceputnam 01-07-2013 07:35 AM

The jury is still out on the k60's, I think that's why people are uneasy about mounting them for you. You can leave the front rotors on, not an issue when mounting tires.

GSWayne 01-07-2013 07:39 AM

I leave my rotors on when I take in wheels to have the tires changed.

Quin 01-07-2013 08:28 AM

thanks guys

Lensgrinder 01-07-2013 08:54 AM

I change the Heidenaus myself, just try to lay them in the sun for a few hours first to soften the rubber.
I leave the rotors on when I change my tires, just put a towel under it.
Mix a little Dawn dish soap with some water and spray liberally, it will make the job easier, removing and installing.

2712 01-07-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lensgrinder (Post 20418368)
I change the Heidenaus myself, just try to lay them in the sun for a few hours first to soften the rubber.
I leave the rotors on when I change my tires, just put a towel under it.
Mix a little Dawn dish soap with some water and spray liberally, it will make the job easier, removing and installing.

Put a tire on it, the rotors fit in the gap under the second or old tire!:D

Multiplicity 01-07-2013 09:46 AM

Most dealer/indy shops won't mount tires you bought from somewhere else. It has nothing to do with brand or style.

They don't make anything on the tire sale and would need to charge to much to mount and balance them to get the profit margin back. It's all about the, Benjamin's :rofl

Lensgrinder 01-07-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2712 (Post 20418786)
Put a tire on it, the rotors fit in the gap under the second or old tire!:D

That would work also.

mgibson61611 01-07-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiplicity (Post 20418852)
Most dealer/indy shops won't mount tires you bought from somewhere else. It has nothing to do with brand or style.

They don't make anything on the tire sale and would need to charge to much to mount and balance them to get the profit margin back. It's all about the, Benjamin's :rofl

+1; I once even got a lecture as to how "I was screwing over their shop for even asking". Needless to say, I don't do business there any longer...

STUFF2C 01-07-2013 11:11 AM

Dang! mounting tires isn't that tough. I have four of those 6-8" cheap tire irons and some dish soap, changed every tire i ever bought (unless they did it free).

I did learn something new today tho! set them in the sun for a while to soften them up. good tip there!!

Twilight Error 01-07-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STUFF2C (Post 20419601)
Dang! mounting tires isn't that tough. I have four of those 6-8" cheap tire irons and some dish soap, changed every tire i ever bought (unless they did it free).

I did learn something new today tho! set them in the sun for a while to soften them up. good tip there!!

I also do my own tire changes. When they arrive at the house, they get stored inside until I'm ready to mount them.

Quin 01-07-2013 12:19 PM

Well let me ask this. How important is balancing the tires?

STUFF2C 01-07-2013 01:19 PM

I have a friend do that, he has a bubble balancer. That said, I used to use my axle clamped in a vice. BUT before my friend had an adapter made i never balanced the rear on my 1200's. GS spoke wheels ain't round any-who. I know lots of guys that NEVER balance their tires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quin (Post 20420121)
Well let me ask this. How important is balancing the tires?


Multiplicity 01-07-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quin (Post 20420121)
Well let me ask this. How important is balancing the tires?


Very, if you ride over 35 MPH. You can buy a wheel balancer for about 129 bucks.
Be advised, you need a automotive balancer to balance BMW rear wheels with the large diameter hole.
Most static balancers are axle type and rely on small cones to align the wheel.


Here's some info and a video. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...tire-balancer/


I have the No-Mar wheel/tire changer. I bought just the base and blocks and built my own stand. It was a cheap solution, but I doubt he
will sell only the base now. This was when he first started his business. You might ask if they would.

Looks like No-Mar offers a static balancer with the adapter cones for the larger center hole on the GS/GSA & RT style wheels.

AviatorTroy 01-07-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quin (Post 20420121)
Well let me ask this. How important is balancing the tires?

I have never balanced a tire in the 20 years I've been changing my own rubber. Sport bikes, adventure bikes, dirt bikes.

I have however lately started throwing a handful of airsoft pellets in if it's a tubeless tire.

Not sure it really makes any difference.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014