ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc) (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Battery Tender Lead to Jump Start (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853848)

go2cnavy 01-07-2013 11:20 AM

Battery Tender Lead to Jump Start

I have a battery tender lead hard wired to my 990 to make battery maintenance easier.

I am doing a 4-day trip in June where three of us will be riding in a team. Instead of carrying jumper cables, I was thinking that if everyone else had a battery tender cable hardwired to their bike, we would simple carry a long battery tender cable extension to jump a bike if needed. Has anyone tried this?

wpbarlow 01-07-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go2cnavy (Post 20419178)
... Has anyone tried this?

I tried it once as a test before installing a new battery. The wire/plugs got hot enough to get very soft so I discontinued the test.

I'd suggest bringing lightweight jumper cables.

go2cnavy 01-07-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpbarlow (Post 20419285)
I tried it once as a test before installing a new battery. The wire/plugs got hot enough to get very soft so I discontinued the test.

I'd suggest bringing lightweight jumper cables.

Thanks. That's what I needed to hear. I wasn't sure if the gauge of the BT wiring would support jump starting. I do like the below bump start option, but I have a rekluse so it would be a pain for me to do.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QdIUO2yS3VA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FakeName 01-07-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go2cnavy (Post 20419178)
I have a battery tender lead hard wired to my 990 to make battery maintenance easier.

I am doing a 4-day trip in June where three of us will be riding in a team. Instead of carrying jumper cables, I was thinking that if everyone else had a battery tender cable hardwired to their bike, we would simple carry a long battery tender cable extension to jump a bike if needed. Has anyone tried this?

I've made one similar and have used it. I won't try it as a "jumper cable" but will hook two bikes together and let the donor bike run for a while to give a little juice to the weak bike.

FakeName 01-07-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go2cnavy (Post 20419399)
Thanks. That's what I needed to hear. I wasn't sure if the gauge of the BT wiring would support jump starting. I do like the below bump start option, but I have a rekluse so it would be a pain for me to do.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QdIUO2yS3VA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BTW: A rekluse on a 990 is easy to bumpstart. A simple adjustment to the clutch slave makes the clutch pretty much "normal" again.

go2cnavy 01-07-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FakeName (Post 20419510)
BTW: A rekluse on a 990 is easy to bumpstart. A simple adjustment to the clutch slave makes the clutch pretty much "normal" again.

Thanks. I just hate doing the freeplay gain trailside.

Stumpalump 01-08-2013 03:56 PM

My tender wires have a fuse that would blow if I jump started it from there.

Fireball 01-08-2013 11:25 PM

I have the automotive plug installed on my battery to connect my battery tender. I also carry with me the clip on connectors to plug into my battery connector in case I ever need a jump start. Just remember if you do this to reverse the leads (black to positive, red to negative) as you'll be using these opposite of their intended purpose. Perhaps failing to do this is why a previous poster experienced blown fuses....?

Martynho 01-09-2013 06:54 AM

Worked for me

+1 on this. Dont try to use the cable to jump start you will melt it or worse in a short time. But I have used this tecnique quite often with good result, make sure you leave the donor bike running! :huh

Quote:

Originally Posted by FakeName (Post 20419499)
I've made one similar and have used it. I won't try it as a "jumper cable" but will hook two bikes together and let the donor bike run for a while to give a little juice to the weak bike.

DakarNick 01-09-2013 07:32 AM

Technically, jump starting is when you connect a running vehicle up to a dead vehicle.

What are you guys saying by not jump starting? You transfer some charge from good to bad bike, disconnect wires, then try starting the bad (hopefully good) bike?

Martynho 01-09-2013 09:10 AM

Jump starting

Yep, precisely. Just use the cable to pass enough charge into the lame bikes battery in order for it to start.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DakarNick (Post 20435051)
Technically, jump starting is when you connect a running vehicle up to a dead vehicle.

What are you guys saying by not jump starting? You transfer some charge from good to bad bike, disconnect wires, then try starting the bad (hopefully good) bike?

DakarNick 01-09-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martynho (Post 20435970)
Yep, precisely. Just use the cable to pass enough charge into the lame bikes battery in order for it to start.

Thanks. That's what I thought but wanted to clarify. I was confused at first. I also added a "jump block" to my bike. It's actually from the hobby shop. It's a knurled metal "lug" with positive and negative sides. Alligator clips can clip to it. I tucked it under the right side skidplate. I can use it to charge or transfer some juice.

I have jumped my bike but only use jumper cables.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:20 PM.