ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   GL Great Basin or other with passenger? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853989)

Off Road Ryder 01-07-2013 07:31 PM

GL Great Basin or other with passenger?
 
Whats the best bag setup for 2 up on an ADV? Ive been using the stockers and have found there shortcomings.Thanks to the guys who have picked my bags up off the trail behind me:clap But a guy can pack a lot of beer in them:wink:
Considering the GL Great basin, but it doesn't really look like its usable with a passenger? I like the idea of getting away from conventional panniers.
I would like something that also works well solo. Any recommendations? Do's, don'ts etc..
Thanks!

amanlikemike 01-07-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports (Post 20423624)
Whats the best bag setup for 2 up on an ADV? Ive been using the stockers and have found there shortcomings.Thanks to the guys who have picked my bags up off the trail behind me:clap But a guy can pack a lot of beer in them:wink:
Considering the GL Great basin, but it doesn't really look like its usable with a passenger? I like the idea of getting away from conventional panniers.
I would like something that also works well solo. Any recommendations? Do's, don'ts etc..
Thanks!

Well...

These:
http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server19...58.439.539.jpg
UScombos of up to 90 liters on a rear seat or rack.

These:
http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server19...15.439.539.png
Overlander 30 (can be slid back and down to make room for passengers on bigger bikes)

Or these:
http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server19...63.439.539.png
Overlander 60 (not your traditional panniers by any means).

... would make be pretty neat solutions to your quandary. But I would say that...

Actually, I'd say it any way. Kriega has always been my gear of choice way before I started selling it for a living. :D

Happy to explain the whys and wherefores in more detail if you like!

ciedema 01-07-2013 09:06 PM

Welded to soft luggage? We use the stock Gobi panniers, a HB Journey 50L top box, a Kriega softbag strapped to one pannier and tent and sleeping gear to the other. We have done 9 months with this configuration.

If I were to go with softbags I would look at Colebatch Luggague from Adventure-Spec and Wolfman or Kriega top bag.

Off Road Ryder 01-08-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciedema (Post 20424208)
Welded to soft luggage? We use the stock Gobi panniers, a HB Journey 50L top box, a Kriega softbag strapped to one pannier and tent and sleeping gear to the other. We have done 9 months with this configuration.

If I were to go with softbags I would look at Colebatch Luggague from Adventure-Spec and Wolfman or Kriega top bag.

Absolutely the stockers dont hold up to my riding style and make the bike far to wide. Pinching a bag on a tree isn't a lot of fun. . Leaning heavily toward the GL Great Basin.
Is it possible to use that bag with a passenger?

snowhawk jockey 01-08-2013 08:38 AM

I'll ask a couple locals if they have run much two up with the GB on a KTM Adv. Plenty of GL product users around here.

Those kreiga's look the quality, just not the configuration.

brents347 01-08-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports (Post 20427089)
Absolutely the stockers dont hold up to my riding style and make the bike far to wide. Pinching a bag on a tree isn't a lot of fun. . Leaning heavily toward the GL Great Basin.
Is it possible to use that bag with a passenger?

I haven't done it, but I have experimented with the mounting of my Great Basin on my SE and I think it would work fine with a passenger. Their butt would be up against it at the back, but I think more in supportive way rather than an interference way.

Brent

Off Road Ryder 01-08-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brents347 (Post 20427162)
I haven't done it, but I have experimented with the mounting of my Great Basin on my SE and I think it would work fine with a passenger. Their butt would be up against it at the back, but I think more in supportive way rather than an interference way.

Brent

Thanks Brent.. The majority of the guys I rode with to the KTM Rally last fall had the GB and from what I could tell it looked to be the setup for aggressive loaded riding. My wife has almost recovered from a torn mcl due to taking the stock rack in the knee during a low speed fall, hoping to loose the outriggers.

crazybrit 01-08-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports (Post 20427089)
Absolutely the stockers dont hold up to my riding style and make the bike far to wide.

Yeah. I got my 950 in San Diego. Local friend rode with me to Pasadena. We don't get to lane-split here in Oregon and he was on a VFR750. Trying to follow him through rush hour traffic with the KTM bags on was a focusing experience. I wanted whiskers on the fairing like a cat.

If you still have the racks for the hard bags, how about the Ortlieb soft panniers? I hate any kind of hardbag, mostly fear of going down and getting my leg trapped, I know plenty of folks who've got a spiral fracture that way.

I have the Giant Loop stuff also (Coyote, Mojavi). Good stuff but I'm not sure it's as passenger friendly.


http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...dle-Bags-Black

Deepc 01-08-2013 08:11 PM

I use the wolfman expedition drybag panniers. I've dumped the bike several times and the bags are undamaged. I also like them because they act like an airbag when they hit the ground, protecting the passengers legs and or the side of my bike. If I'm riding solo and fully loaded I use the medium wolfman expedition dry duffel strapped to the passenger area of my seat. The setup looks nice and is pretty versatile.

Apple Jam 01-09-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports (Post 20423624)
Whats the best bag setup for 2 up on an ADV? Ive been using the stockers and have found there shortcomings.Thanks to the guys who have picked my bags up off the trail behind me:clap

You are very welcome!!
Fun story to tell, and I DID tell it on my Vendor's thread :lol3
I was happy with hard bags for 3-4 years until my riding progressed into "aggressive"
You saw my welded subframe the night before we left for the KTM Rally, right?
I need another option also.
The whoops I bounce over at speed now bend/break the racks again and again.


I went KLR and strapped two big 6" pvc tubes (20" long) down low on my Jesse racks,
and am now seriously considering the Great Basin as well.
No two-up for me, though.

Have you seen the new 2013 GL Fort Rock?
Designed to sit on top and fit a passenger?
It's very large, and looks the ticket to sit atop hard or soft panniers.

On phone now, or I'd provide a link..
Edit: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=571

Off Road Ryder 01-09-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple Jam (Post 20435001)
You are very welcome!!
Fun story to tell, and I DID tell it on my Vendor's thread :lol3
I was happy with hard bags for 3-4 years until my riding progressed into "aggressive"
You saw my welded subframe the night before we left for the KTM Rally, right?
I need another option also.
The whoops I bounce over at speed now bend/break the racks again and again.


I went KLR and strapped two big 6" pvc tubes (20" long) down low on my Jesse racks,
and am now seriously considering the Great Basin as well.
No two-up for me, though.

Have you seen the new 2013 GL Fort Rock?
Designed to sit on top and fit a passenger?
It's very large, and looks the ticket to sit atop hard or soft panniers.

On phone now, or I'd provide a link..
Edit: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=571

Thanks for all the replies and I"ll look into the suggestions. AJ you saved my ass on that trip. I think you picked my crap up at least twice:lol3

snowhawk jockey 01-09-2013 01:35 PM

The GB has a longer base, front to back than the coyote and is intended to rest on the rear of the seat and rack. It could be positioned more rearward, but is likely keep a passenger from getting enough room between the bag and yourself, for comfort.

Coyote is the rear fender/rack mounted unit.

The Fort Rock is a top case for panniers and not a stand alone bag.

The new Siskiyou Panniers would be the most passenger friendly high volume alternative in the line.

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...Siskiyoulg.png

Harold just posted some 2013 pics and discriptions in the Vendor's forum.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854141

Off Road Ryder 01-09-2013 02:51 PM

Thanks I like the new GL but looks like you still need to run the tube frame.. I"ll contact them and find out.
By the way are you out riding that Hawk yet? Snows great!

bikyto 01-09-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports (Post 20439452)
Thanks I like the new GL but looks like you still need to run the tube frame.. I"ll contact them and find out.
By the way are you out riding that Hawk yet? Snows great!

if you are referring to the model above, no you don't need the pannier racks. I've ridden with them for several months.

crazybrit 01-09-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikyto (Post 20439591)
if you are referring to the model above, no you don't need the pannier racks. I've ridden with them for several months.

That's good as you'd have to sell the OEM pannier racks to be able to afford the Siskiyou panniers. $649 for a set of soft panniers, wow!
I'm sure they're very nice quality, 75 liters is much larger than the Ortleibs but still.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014