ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Furnace help (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855435)

bcguide 01-13-2013 09:51 PM

Furnace help

I have installed a wood stove and now want to have my furnace fan run continusly to move the heat through the house
I belive this can be done with out using the thermosat.
my is a furnace American Standard Freedom 90 of 2003 vintage

Thanks

vwboomer 01-13-2013 11:43 PM

dont know a thing about your furnace, but if you have a programmable thermostat, you can flip the switch to just run the blower. Bear in mind that not all furnaces are built for continuous running, but I should think yours is new enough it would be ok.

If you dont want to get a thermostat with the feature, you can probably jumper the terminals on your furnace board.

bcguide 01-14-2013 12:25 AM

I do not have programmable thermostat and have only 2 wires going to the thermostat. Jumpering the wires to make the fan run would be ok but I am away from home alot and would prefer to have the furnace set to so that the fan runs on low speed
but te furnace will still kick in when the wood stove is down.

slobinski 01-14-2013 02:50 AM

I did this in a house with a gas furnace once. Had to run a separate two-wire cable in parallel from the furnace's fan switch to a second (low voltage cooling) thermostat on the wall near the wood stove. This would run the fan separately as long as the wood stove was hot enough while leaving the original thermostat to operate the gas furnace as needed.

troidus 01-14-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcguide (Post 20478009)
I do not have programmable thermostat and have only 2 wires going to the thermostat.

I'd get some modern 5- or 7-wire cable and upgrade the thermostat. As long as the original wire isn't stapled down, you should be able to use it as a fish tape to pull the new cable. I was lucky and had to go only 4'.

bcguide 01-14-2013 09:33 AM

The wires run through log a log wall and I don't want to chance mucking up a working system in the winter
Thanks for the ideas though

trailNtent 01-14-2013 09:52 AM

You need more than two wires to control the fan independent of the heat. For temporary you can just put a jumper with a switch across R and G at the furnace and switch it on when you want the fan.

bcguide 01-14-2013 10:03 AM

Just thinking the idea running 2 thermasts might be the best was. I am realy only tring to move the heat to to bottom floor. Ant ideas on how to wire this so that the furance will still work. Would I just use the G&R with a 2 wire thermmast

trailNtent 01-14-2013 10:11 AM

You can leave the existing thermostat as is. Two wires to the new location are all you need, you can use a thermostat, single pole switch, or a timer. Wire to R and G.

bcguide 01-14-2013 10:15 AM

Beauty thanks guys!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:03 PM.