ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Alignment issue 1150 GS (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855516)

FourG 01-14-2013 09:45 AM

Alignment issue 1150 GS

Alright keyboard mechanics, I've got one for you.:*sip*

Recently my 2000 1150 GS seems to have decided it doesn't want to ride on the straight and narrow any longer.

Symptoms:
  • Since I've owned the bike it's always wanted to stray right when I let off the bars... It was never an issue per say as I felt the bike had tracked straight with my hands on the bars.
  • (Recently) when riding the bike in a straight line on the highway I'm noticing I need to give it a little left bar input which makes the bike lean slightly to the left when trying to go straight.

Things I've tried (admittedly not a lot, yet)
  • I've eliminated the "crown in the road" theory by briefly riding on the opposite side with the same effect
  • Checked the haynes manual for any kind of alignment procedure. What they listed didn't seem too scientific so I haven't really tried it.
  • Loosened the fork clamps and tried to let it naturally find it's resting place, torqued them back up to spec
  • Checked the final drive for play
  • Checked tire pressure
  • Check the front tire for play
  • Checked if the spoked wheels are true
  • Visually inspected both wheels for any camber issues
  • Tried riding without the system cases

Other things to note:
  • Two brand new tourances mounted and balanced by me
  • I ride with the system cases almost 100% of the time, although I've tried riding without them and I have the same issue.

What should be my next steps?:ear Anyone else ever encounter this issue?

Rockmuncher 01-14-2013 10:21 AM

Mine was doing that too. My windshield was cocked to one side a bit. Helped but still have a little pull with hands off.

FourG 01-14-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockmuncher (Post 20481253)
Mine was doing that too. My windshield was cocked to one side a bit. Helped but still have a little pull with hands off.

So your windshield was cocked enough to give you the illusion it was leaning? I've suspected a placebo effect like this... I think I might buy a cheap bubble level and attach it to the console to see what physics reports..

M38A1 01-14-2013 10:43 AM

Crown in the road?

Riding in the same lane of travel for a tad bit more tire wear on one side combined with the crown?

FourG 01-14-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M38A1 (Post 20481473)
Crown in the road?

Riding in the same lane of travel for a tad bit more tire wear on one side combined with the crown?

Yeah, I should have put that in the "things I've tried." I know the roads are crowned but this is "new," meaning it feels different than it used to. I've also tried eliminating that variable, still happens.

Also, brand new tires that were newly balanced and mounted by me.

bdarling 01-14-2013 10:56 AM

Let's rule out the obvious: weight in your side cases.

I got a new laptop at work that weighs SIGNIFICANTLY more than my old computer and I was shocked by the amount of steering input I needed to keep the bike going in a straight line with the computer bag in my right pannier. Just to verify that the computer was the culprit, I moved the bag to my left pannier and found myself correcting the other way. Solution: leave the damned electronic leash at work! :D

I suppose your response will be that you don't ride with side cases :lol3

-B

FourG 01-14-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdarling (Post 20481610)
Let's rule out the obvious: weight in your side cases.

I got a new laptop at work that weighs SIGNIFICANTLY more than my old computer and I was shocked by the amount of steering input I needed to keep the bike going in a straight line with the computer bag in my right pannier. Just to verify that the computer was the culprit, I moved the bag to my left pannier and found myself correcting the other way. Solution: leave the damned electronic leash at work! :D

I suppose your response will be that you don't ride with side cases :lol3

-B

Actually, you've identified another line item I forgot to add to the "things I've tried." I do always ride with the side cases and a laptop in the right side... however it's a tiny little Macbook Air and I've also tried riding without the side cases to eliminate a variable... same issue.

Keep the thoughts coming! We're narrowing in!:clap

SkiFly01 01-14-2013 11:34 AM

counterbalance, carry a bag of concrete. :D

JRP 01-14-2013 11:52 AM

Have you checked to see if the forks were twisted in the triple clamps?
I will assume you have ruled out a bent fork tube, you would remember if you hit anything that hard :D

scooteraug02 01-14-2013 12:27 PM

Brand new tires will do that until the get a flat spot then you should be able to ride hands off no problem.

Started our AK trip with new tires and the bike was all over. I thought it was the load but after a few K miles it road hands off straight for as long as I wanted.

If you ride hands off enough you can trim it straight with body english or a little hand in the wind.

Do you carry more weight in one bag than the other. Maybe you have worn a groove in the tire that is noticeable when the bags are empty.

http://www.framestraightsystem.com/M...me%20Check.htm
http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/whelalin.html

FourG 01-14-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRP (Post 20482092)
I will assume you have ruled out a bent fork tube, you would remember if you hit anything that hard :D

http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_...9973411666.bin

I'm assuming we're talking about the fork bridge(10)? Yes, I've tried that.

FourG 01-14-2013 02:20 PM

Thanks for these, I'll try it out... The next question however is if my alignment is off... what do I do about it? Does anyone know if you can buy these shims from the dealer for the rear wheel or were they just a factory part?

FourG 01-14-2013 02:23 PM

Also, does anyone know any tricks to checking that your bars are completely straight? I'm assuming the only way is to measure with a micrometer from the bar clamps to the frame?

everycredit 01-14-2013 02:40 PM

Have someone else ride it and test for straightness. Do not contaminate his or her judgment by stating which side it drifts to. If he or she determines it is straight, assume testicular cancer. Added weight to one side or another can cause bike to drift.

Twilight Error 01-14-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRP (Post 20482092)

He may not. His insurance co-pay certainly would.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:24 AM.