ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   any tool to help picking up your adventure in the mud when you are by yourself? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855580)

shin938 01-14-2013 01:31 PM

any tool to help picking up your adventure in the mud when you are by yourself?

Hello
I dropped my 1150 adventure more then once, I can pick it up and I know the methods of doing that.
but few day ago I dropped it in the mud, there was no way I could pick it up by myself, the mud is too slippery and you can't get a hold on the ground. I tried a lot, I was lucky and some people passed by after an hour or so and helped me.

I wonder, is there a solution for this situation in the form of some tool that can help? I can think of a lift handle or some kind of air bag or something, does anybody know of something like that?

Thank you.

gratefulJED 01-14-2013 01:37 PM

a rope at the very least

everycredit 01-14-2013 01:52 PM

What methods are you using? The only two methods I'm accustomed to are lifting and pushing. I can understand pushing is traction-dependent, but lifting is not, except theory and real-world applications don't always mesh. That said, my limited knowledge might be more or less expansive than yours and "common sense" and "common knowledge" never really applies.

I can squat lift quite a bit of weight, but I've been blessed with strong legs. Because of that, I may not have pursued other avenues of lifting my GS.

Think of mechanical advantage. Can I use a lever or a pulley?

AviatorTroy 01-14-2013 02:23 PM

I hate to state the obvious, but this is exactly why I don't do that sh!t when I'm riding by myself. I'll ride gravel but no sugar sand, no deep mud, without a buddy.

Wallowa 01-14-2013 02:33 PM

Yeah, Well....

Quote:

Originally Posted by AviatorTroy (Post 20483351)
I hate to state the obvious, but this is exactly why I don't do that sh!t when I'm riding by myself. I'll ride gravel but no sugar sand, no deep mud, without a buddy.

I understand, but sometimes you either ride through the mud or turn around and sometimes turning around is not a good option or even possible.

The problem of mud is a real one. While I carry pulleys and a rope, you still need an anchor point. It will be interesting to hear of solutions and options.

Before anyone cries "idiot", I also do ride alone, off road and way out beyond help...my choice, but I try to be well prepared for issues like this one. Amplify that by sliding downhill on a steep slope. Sometimes walking out is the last option.:wink:

everycredit 01-14-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallowa (Post 20483447)
I understand, but sometimes you either ride through the mud or turn around and sometimes turning around is not a good option or even possible.

The problem of mud is a real one. While I carry pulleys and a rope, you still need an anchor point. It will be interesting to hear of solutions and options.

Before anyone cries "idiot", I also do ride alone, off road and way out beyond help...my choice, but I try to be well prepared for issues like this one. Amplify that by sliding downhill on a steep slope. Sometimes walking out is the last option.:wink:

Not riding in the first place may be the obvious solution, but your bike is still in the mud. Hopefully there might be better solutions presented. :)

sportbiker929 01-14-2013 03:00 PM

tow truck, crane?

Wallowa 01-14-2013 03:13 PM

Aw Man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportbiker929 (Post 20483753)
tow truck, crane?

Man, only someone from the 'Delta' would suggest that :D....well that is better than 'stay home and don't ride'...you forgot a helicopter extraction..

Osmin C 01-14-2013 03:18 PM

So if there is no anchor point to play with, there really isnt much more option but to lift it out of the mud. No clever mechanism or winch will work without an anchor point. :huh

Mudcat 01-14-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallowa (Post 20483447)
Before anyone cries "idiot", I also do ride alone, off road and way out beyond help...my choice,

Me too and if there is water and/or mud, I walk the trail first to find the best line. But there is always the possibility I could lose my bike or more. I am aware of it and accept the possibility.
Last year was a bad one for me. I dropped the bike 3 times, twice on grades with the top of the bike downhill. I was able to muscle the bike up but I don’t know how I did it, desperation I suppose. :evil<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

divimon2000 01-14-2013 03:23 PM

The lift bag has merit. They use them to move barges. What around is portable, tough, and fillable with what? I dunno, just relaxing on the couch, glad I have a little 650.

kellymac530 01-14-2013 03:40 PM

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...upersingle.htm

Only issue with this the bike needs to run to operate it...running it on its side is not optimal.
It might operate on pumped air though as well.

spagthorpe 01-14-2013 03:40 PM

If it's deep enough, the bike isn't going anywhere even if you pick it up.

I have seen at least one inmate that carried a ground anchor and a come along when he rode in questionable places. There is that small electric winch you could mount as well. Biggest issue is finding things to attach it to.

Obviously my asshole level suggestion is to use a lighter bike for riding like that. It's probably one reason nobody is doing the TAT on an 1150.

Ayrshire Bull 01-14-2013 03:55 PM

one more asshole level suggestion from me too - was use an XR650 ...... for the further away, rough terrain, solo rides

kellymac530 01-14-2013 04:25 PM

I get so sick of people always saying dont ride your bike there...get a better bike....buy a lighter bike {KTm, XR, DR, KLR....}

What if the OP and others like me do NOT want a different bike?

I want to ride hundreds of miles on the hiway, and when I see something cool, I want to ride off hiway there, If there is mud on that trail or road, I will ride through it. If I fall I will have to pick it up. The OP is just looking for ideas on making that easier in tough circumstances. Not how to revamp his life to conform to what YOU think it should be. :huh

I have had MANY KTMs, a DR, 2 XRs, and ridden a KLR...I do NOT want one of those. I do NOT like any of those on the hiway. Can they go there...sure. Do I want to ride cross country on the I-40 on a DR...hell no.

Personally I can not resist riding small light bikes like they were MX bikes. I always do. I always break them, and sometimes break myself. I want a hiway bike that CAN go out in the dirt, one I KNOW I need to respect and take it easier on so I can still get back where I want to get to off road, but not feel motivated to double jump that ravine, blast that sand berm, and blitz some row of whoops.

I know I will drop a GS once in a while and I will need to pick it up in sand and mud....that is all the OP is asking :deal

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:41 AM.