ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   My Old Hodaka's and Me... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855777)

mefadv 01-15-2013 10:56 AM

My Old Hodaka's and Me...
 
When the afternoons are cold in the AZ desert what do ya do? Well I spent some time cleaning my warm Office.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I came across some of these old photo’s… The scanned pretty well so thought I would share. Me and my old Hodaka’s ! ! !


http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...dakas_0007.jpg
<o:p>Hodaka, Ace 100, my first bike… </o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...dakas_0006.jpg
<o:p>Hodaka, Combat Wombat, 125



<o:p>http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...dakas_0008.jpg</o:p>
</o:p></o:p>Hodaka, 125 greatly modified for Trials, still have the “Hottie”! :wink:




http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...dakas_0005.jpg
Hodaka, 250ED Thunder Dog, one of the first in the USA

Hope you enjoyed my li'l show.
As it always goes - - - - it would be nice to have any or all of them back!

<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

AZ TOM 01-15-2013 11:30 AM

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...940/hodaka.jpg
This is me on an ACE 90 with an ACE 100 motor at the finish of the Barstow To Vegas race 1969, 29 years old. Holy crap where did the time go??

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...0/DSCN0431.jpg

cyberdos 01-15-2013 11:42 AM

:clap

:lurk

mefadv 01-15-2013 03:16 PM

AZTom is that you on that Hodaka? Can't tell for sure what model it is?



There must be some more photo's from the "Wonderful World Of Hodaka"! :clap


I also had a model 100-B but can not find any photo's of that... I'll keep look'n.

ChrisC 01-15-2013 03:21 PM

Fuzzy pics of old guys on old bikes... can I play?

1969 Bultaco Sherpa S @ Riverside CA circa '70...

http://conecj.smugmug.com/Other/Old-...erpajump-S.jpg

JeffS77 01-15-2013 03:51 PM

A Hodaka and a Chevy Luv....it dont get more 70's then that :clap

Kevinsterner 01-16-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ TOM (Post 20490911)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...940/hodaka.jpg
This is me on an ACE 90 with an ACE 100 motor at the finish of the Barstow To Vegas race 1969, 29 years old. Holy crap where did the time go??

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...0/DSCN0431.jpg

Very cool Tom. I had my Hodaka when I was 15. Didn't do any motorcycle racing but I raced Karts for about 30 years

Salsa 01-16-2013 07:35 PM

Tom

I also raced a Hodaka in the 1969 B-V. As you know the Trail bikes (100cc) started 30 minute after the big bikes. We pass a lot of them. There were 1000 big bikes and 300 100cc bikes. 96 expert, 34 Amateur, and 162 Novices.

I finished 4th 100cc novice, 30th trail bike, and 278th overall.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...ps59994aa3.jpg

I don't think this is the Vegas race, but it is my 1969 number.

Don

AZ TOM 01-17-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsa (Post 20504568)
Tom

I also raced a Hodaka in the 1969 B-V. As you know the Trail bikes (100cc) started 30 minute after the big bikes. We pass a lot of them. There were 1000 big bikes and 300 100cc bikes. 96 expert, 34 Amateur, and 162 Novices.

I finished 4th 100cc novice, 30th trail bike, and 278th overall.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...ps59994aa3.jpg

I don't think this is the Vegas race, but it is my 1969 number.

Don

Hey Don, I think my finish was far back from yours. This was my third try & first finish so I was just happy to finally make it. I think I know where your pic. is from & will try & get a pic. dug our of mine in same area. Small world really this cycling.

AZ TOM 01-17-2013 07:39 AM

Hey Kevin, I raced Karts way back when, at Butler/ Monza Raceway out behind Ascot. Had one of the few Mcculloch Karts with twin Mac 6's. Sprint Karts only back then, way before enduro Karts. I knew Chuck Balsinger who put together the first Kart with a Yamaha twin engine mounted on it. He was featured along with his street rodded Hudson pickup truck in Hot Rod magazine.

mefadv 01-17-2013 08:54 AM

Hey... you desert racers were riding lot of different terrain than I did back in the Midwest.

Most of our enduro's were 100 miles or less sometime we had to make two loops to get in decent milage. However several of our stages averaged 8 to 10mph for 25miles or soo. Lot's of mud and long rutted, tree riddled, hill climbes, did I mention mud and oh yes we had some mud!!! :eek1
A much different world from those who rode in the Western deserts.

AZ TOM 01-17-2013 09:03 AM

Riding Hodaka's we had 4 inches or travel in the shocks & 6 inches of travel in the seat:D Lots & lots of deep sand, hence the Dunlop K 70 tires instead of knobbies. With the way the desert is today, all whooped out we would kill ourselves trying to go fast on the bikes we had back then:eek1

AZ TOM 01-17-2013 01:22 PM

Hey Don I think this is from the same race as your picture, up above Mojave in Red Rock Canyon area which was shortly closed off to racing in the 70's. Race photo's by Brian Klock, long before Grumpy was in the desert.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ps7475d876.gif

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...psc6d4a3bb.gif

Starting line of B to V 1969

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...psf7a5c348.gif

Lucerne Valley race after B to V with a little lower number.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ps12d03d37.gif

My life long friend from age 2 years Terry that I lost to a heart attack in 2005 & I in the late 70's. He had a 78 RM 250 & I had a 75 125 Elsinore. Great memories.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...psb0575dfe.jpg

Slowred 01-17-2013 02:41 PM

Great photos Tom. I wanted one of those Elsinore 125's sooooooo bad as a kid!

Kevinsterner 01-17-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ TOM (Post 20507657)
Hey Kevin, I raced Karts way back when, at Butler/ Monza Raceway out behind Ascot. Had one of the few Mcculloch Karts with twin Mac 6's. Sprint Karts only back then, way before enduro Karts. I knew Chuck Balsinger who put together the first Kart with a Yamaha twin engine mounted on it. He was featured along with his street rodded Hudson pickup truck in Hot Rod magazine.

Very cool. I started with one year of sprint karts in the Midwest. Then we moved to enduro karts. Started with McCulloch 90 single engine. when I turned 16 I moved to twin Mac 91's. the Macs got phased out by Kt100 cc Yamahas. We ran twin yamahas for many years.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014