ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Chain care (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855854)

Flashdog 01-15-2013 05:18 PM

Chain care
 
Okay okay okay, I know this may turn into an oil/religion/gun control threat and that I'm opening up a huge can of worms.

I have owned shaft drive and belt drive bikes for the last 20 years. My F700GS is my first modern bike with an o-ring chain. I now have about 1200 miles on it and had the first service done back at 650. Every 200 miles or so I've cleaned the chain with an o-ring safe cleaner and grunge brush and then lubed it with Moto-Pro brand (PTFE/moly) dry chain wax. I ain't had a dry riding day since buying this bike!

I know there are many opinions on what kind of maintenance is needed and what products to use. I'd like to know what others are doing to "our" bikes. That being the F series BMWs. How long, with normal riding, can I expect a chain and sprockets to last? What brand of chains and sprockets do you recommend?

So there it is. Rant, flame on, serious discussion, smart ass answers, or good information. :ear

Loutre 01-15-2013 05:32 PM

oh dear... are you hearing that? I think the "scottoiler gang" will soon be around again :lol3

well I use S100 "Kettenspray" at least once every 1000km (of after heavy rain) and I'm doing some cleaning every time I ride through snow (salt), sand and mud. for cleaning I use some cheap diesel fuel. if you keep doing it every 200 miles your chain will last at least 45k kms :lol3.

every one has it's own philosophy, some are anal, some are doing nothing and still get a good treat life out of it. as you said that's a can of worms you are opening :lol3

machinebuilder 01-15-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loutre (Post 20493449)
oh dear... are you hearing that? I think the "scottoiler gang" will soon be around again :lol3

well I use S100 "Kettenspray" at least once every 1000km (of after heavy rain) and I'm doing some cleaning every time I ride through snow (salt), sand and mud. for cleaning I use some cheap diesel fuel. if you keep doing it every 200 miles your chain will last at least 45k kms :lol3.

Those mixed unit's are interesting.:evil

200mi? am I supposed to stop during a ride?

to the OP...........opinions are like a$$holes, everybodies got one.

I clean my chain when I feel it needs it, I use belray chain lube every couple rides, or when it seems to be getting noisier.

I don't ride like some of the inmates, I only have about 14,000mi on mine, the tension usually only gets adjusted when I change tires.

Grits&Gravy 01-15-2013 06:55 PM

I wet an old rag/t-shirt with kerosene, wipe her down, if she's grungy, I use the grunge brush, then wipe her down again. When I am happy with that I spray it with Motul chain cleaner and a then spray it off with the hose. Now I wipe it down/dry it with a cloth and ride it to warm the chain back up. When I get back to the house I spray it down with Yamaha on/off road chain lube and ride it again to use the centrifugal forces and sling the lube all over my fresh clean chain. I usually only do this every couple of rides or when I don't have anything else to do and it's nasty weather outside.

Flashdog 01-15-2013 10:41 PM

Thanks for the initial responses. I may be over doing it on my chain maintenance and over time I'll probably not be as obsessive about it. On the otherhand, apart from farkling (I know some hate that term) there's not much in the way of maintenance on a new modern bike. I'm one of those people that can't leave well enough alone and tend to know a lot about my vehicles. I shopped for over a year to finally decide on this bike of all the others I tried.

KTM250rm 01-16-2013 12:32 AM

I like using Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube. The only side affect is that it leaves a white film on your chain, but it isn't tacky.

Loutre 01-16-2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KTM250rm (Post 20496394)
I like using Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube. The only side affect is that it leaves a white film on your chain, but it isn't tacky.

Isn't that what it's supposed to do? I know mine to and I thought it's normal :huh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flashdog (Post 20495986)
Thanks for the initial responses. I may be over doing it on my chain maintenance and over time I'll probably not be as obsessive about it. On the otherhand, apart from farkling (I know some hate that term) there's not much in the way of maintenance on a new modern bike. I'm one of those people that can't leave well enough alone and tend to know a lot about my vehicles. I shopped for over a year to finally decide on this bike of all the others I tried.

who DOESN'T like that term!? :pain

KTM250rm 01-17-2013 11:44 AM

LOL, yeah that's what its suppose to do, but some people don't like the white color, it doesn't bother me. In fact, people say, Is that a new chain??

GSlite 01-17-2013 01:08 PM

Automatic transmission fluid; a tiny amount brushed on with an old toothbrush every week or so. I ride almost every day, so this works out to be every 500-ish miles. I often forget, so sometimes go longer. The ATF is sorta self cleaning and doesn’t leave sticky, gummed up crap all over the swing arm like some of the spray lubes. Any ATF that flings off wipes off quickly and easily with a paper towel or shop rag.

Edit: I keep meaning to switch to one of these to make life even easier on myself.

GH41 01-17-2013 04:18 PM

Dupont motorcycle degreaser for chains to clean and Dupont chain saver lube. I have never cleaned the chain other than to remove the gunk the dealer applied but off road to me is just a dirt road. I apply the lube at 3-500 mile intervals. This stuff is sold in many stores including Lowe's and Home Depot. The lube is also available in a small squeeze bottle perfect for carrying on the bike. GH

guavadude 01-17-2013 11:05 PM

+1
I really like the DuPont spray cans. Major perk that it's $5 a can and is at Lowes. Really keeps the chain clean and doesn't fling.
I haven't found the small travel size but need to order a few for road trips.

I read that the grunge brushes can push dirt into the o rings so I've given up on that.

MikeMike 01-18-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guavadude (Post 20514202)

I read that the grunge brushes can push dirt into the o rings so I've given up on that.

I' ve read that some pills advertised in magazines will make you hung like a donkey and irresistible to supermodels.
I' ve read on this BB that you can' t run 20-50 oil in an F bike because the oil galleries are too small.
Bulls-- t.
Grunge brushes work fine and dont force dirt past the o- rings.

guavadude 01-18-2013 10:28 PM

Ok, good to know about the grungebrush but I'm keeping the pills and me and my Russian supermodel don't care what you say.

MikeMike 01-19-2013 06:24 AM

Does she pant in anticipation at the thought of a clean chain?

guavadude 01-19-2013 06:51 AM

Let's just say that DuPont spray has a variety of uses. Grungebrush is optional.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014