ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cooling the pig: Adding an oil cooler fan (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856098)

(none) 01-16-2013 05:35 PM

Cooling the pig: Adding an oil cooler fan

The GS has been the best bike i've had thus far. It's taken me through 23 states and 2 countries through the short 2.5 years (and 41,000 miles) we have been together. Although there are many modifications on the market for all sorts of issues or qualms, not much is on the market to help with cooling these pigs. The GS-P kits are available through BMW, not cheap or easy to find though. RT-P oil cooler fans and shrouds can be found, but are not plug and play. I've read of people using 12v fans from computers or electronics with success, but have not seen any write-ups or even pictures. This is the route i decided to go

After some measurements, i visited McMaster-Carr and found a nice little fan that i will be using for the project. Measuring 3.15"x3.15"x1.5", it's a touch large, but it is spec'd at pulling 130cfm of air.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...8379729308.jpg

The fan is not advertised as being waterproof or even water resistant. No idea how long it will last, but it is a starting point.

Picture showing how it will be mounted. As seen in the picture, the fan fits under the crossmember and extends down to the top of the light bar. Ignore the yellow wire, using that to help hold the fan up while i take a picture. Did a quick jumper wire just to see it run. Fan winds up a little slow and is pretty damned loud when running (71dB), but it moves quite a bit of air.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...8379779289.jpg

The goal of the project is to allow the bike to move at slower speeds off road and in traffic without worrying about the oil temp rising to 7+ bars (260F+). Although the police bikes use thermoswitchs to turn on the fan, i plan to use a simple on/off switch on the bars down by the triple tree.

Beard 01-16-2013 05:51 PM

let me know how it goes

Dan Alexander 01-16-2013 05:51 PM

:thumb

Yeahbaby 01-16-2013 07:18 PM

Hey NONE, I have a RTP fan housing less the fan if your interested, gratis. Lets see what you can do with it. PM me with the address. I too have been working on this. I thought a 3' bilge blower might work. But I was looking for a higher cfm blower. I was also trying to come up with some way to blow air onto the front of the cylinders to cool them down as well, because I believe most of the cooling is done at the cylinders, not oil cooler.

mwood7800 01-16-2013 07:31 PM

Why not a fan off a k75. Always some on eBay. They put out great air.

GS Addict 01-16-2013 07:40 PM

If you are satisfied with the results take it to the next level and get the motronic to turn the fan off and on.
On 1150 RTPs a relay is sinked to ground thru pin 17 of the motronic ma 2.4.
The relay contacts can be used to automatically and optimally operate the fan. :D
If you need a contact pin to do this mod, PM me and I'll mail you one.

(none) 01-16-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeahbaby (Post 20503952)
Hey NONE, I have a RTP fan housing less the fan if your interested, gratis. Lets see what you can do with it. PM me with the address. I too have been working on this. I thought a 3' bilge blower might work. But I was looking for a higher cfm blower. I was also trying to come up with some way to blow air onto the front of the cylinders to cool them down as well, because I believe most of the cooling is done at the cylinders, not oil cooler.

Sent you a PM. I was toying with using some ducting, i can see how well the housing works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwood7800 (Post 20504050)
Why not a fan off a k75. Always some on eBay. They put out great air.

Any idea how large they are? The ones on the K1200 i had seemed quite a bit bigger then needed for the short oil cooler.

scooteraug02 01-16-2013 08:05 PM

KTM makes a nice fan

http://ktmcyclehutt.com/ktm-parts/pr...5041044_lg.jpg

Ktm hut

Pelicanparts
Oil cooler thread

GS Addict 01-16-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand (Post 20504964)
The only time that I've been concerned with not getting sufficient cooling is:

CROSSING the INTERNATIONAL BORDER between the US and CANADA...particularly at Blaine, WA (near Seattle).

Coming SOUTHBOUND (into the US)...it is not uncommon to see 2 lanes of traffic with over 200+ cars in each lane waiting to cross through US Customs.

That 45 minute - 1 hour waiting time would put severe heating conditions on a bike "inching" ahead.
(You could turn the bike OFF and push it about 1 mile).

COOL SOLUTION:

Spend $50 (no fans required) and apply for (serious security background check and personal interview required) and get a NEXUS card that get you into a SPECIAL...no wait...LANE.

Buzz right up to the head of the normally EMPTY lane...FLASH your NEXUS CARD...and you're home free***

PS...getting the NEXUS card now automatically enrolls you in the US Customs & Border Protection GLOBAL ENTRY program at International Airports in the US. So...whether you're riding the bike or flying into the US...this is a great deal. No waiting at airports...special lane...you're home free***.

(***You must comply with all the very tight entry/customs restrictions on the use of this card or it can/will be confiscated and you'll never get it back)...per the issuing officer.

If it IS confiscated...you've obviously got some serious 'splaining to do.:huh

Nexus is the ONLY way to fly.......AMHIK :deal

And yes, one strike and you are out for LIFE.

mwood7800 01-16-2013 10:05 PM

K 75 or 100 is pretty small and looks easy to mount

everycredit 01-17-2013 02:42 AM

Quote:

CROSSING the INTERNATIONAL BORDER between the US and CANADA...particularly at Blaine, WA (near Seattle).

Coming SOUTHBOUND (into the US)...it is not uncommon to see 2 lanes of traffic with over 200+ cars in each lane waiting to cross through US Customs.

That 45 minute - 1 hour waiting time would put severe heating conditions on a bike "inching" ahead.
(You could turn the bike OFF and push it about 1 mile).

COOL SOLUTION:

Spend $50 (no fans required) and apply for (serious security background check and personal interview required) and get a NEXUS card that get you into a SPECIAL...no wait...LANE.

Buzz right up to the head of the normally EMPTY lane...FLASH your NEXUS CARD...and you're home free***

PS...getting the NEXUS card now automatically enrolls you in the US Customs & Border Protection GLOBAL ENTRY program at International Airports in the US. So...whether you're riding the bike or flying into the US...this is a great deal. No waiting at airports...special lane...you're home free***.

(***You must comply with all the very tight entry/customs restrictions on the use of this card or it can/will be confiscated and you'll never get it back)...per the issuing officer.

If it IS confiscated...you've obviously got some serious 'splaining to do.:huh

Could you just cut the queue? You're on a bike.

Or stop at duty free, buy a Toblerone, and get ahead of the line.

Twilight Error 01-17-2013 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (none) (Post 20503066)
The GS has been the best bike i've had thus far. It's taken me through 23 states and 2 countries through the short 2.5 years (and 41,000 miles) we have been together. Although there are many modifications on the market for all sorts of issues or qualms, not much is on the market to help with cooling these pigs. The GS-P kits are available through BMW, not cheap or easy to find though. RT-P oil cooler fans and shrouds can be found, but are not plug and play. I've read of people using 12v fans from computers or electronics with success, but have not seen any write-ups or even pictures. This is the route i decided to go

After some measurements, i visited McMaster-Carr and found a nice little fan that i will be using for the project. Measuring 3.15"x3.15"x1.5", it's a touch large, but it is spec'd at pulling 130cfm of air.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...8379729308.jpg

The fan is not advertised as being waterproof or even water resistant. No idea how long it will last, but it is a starting point.

Picture showing how it will be mounted. As seen in the picture, the fan fits under the crossmember and extends down to the top of the light bar. Ignore the yellow wire, using that to help hold the fan up while i take a picture. Did a quick jumper wire just to see it run. Fan winds up a little slow and is pretty damned loud when running (71dB), but it moves quite a bit of air.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...8379779289.jpg

The goal of the project is to allow the bike to move at slower speeds off road and in traffic without worrying about the oil temp rising to 7+ bars (260F+). Although the police bikes use thermoswitchs to turn on the fan, i plan to use a simple on/off switch on the bars down by the triple tree.

I've had a couple ideas in that direction, as well. I'll be keeping an eye on this... When you mount the fan, use rubber to isolate it from the frame, that should help with the noise. I'm also wondering if the oil temp display in the RID can be hacked to provide a signal for the fan to turn on. LCD uses a small voltage to change the state of the crystals in the display, there may be a way to piggyback a relay to, say, the 5th bar so that it turns the fan on when that bar comes on.

everycredit 01-17-2013 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twilight Error (Post 20505936)
I've had a couple ideas in that direction, as well. I'll be keeping an eye on this... When you mount the fan, use rubber to isolate it from the frame, that should help with the noise. I'm also wondering if the oil temp display in the RID can be hacked to provide a signal for the fan to turn on. LCD uses a small voltage to change the state of the crystals in the display, there may be a way to piggyback a relay to, say, the 5th bar so that it turns the fan on when that bar comes on.

I think a thermostat would be a cheaper and easier method. :D

Chat Lunatique 01-17-2013 03:43 AM

Quote:

CROSSING the INTERNATIONAL BORDER between the US and CANADA.:huh

You never have had the pig offroad in the mud eh? Trying to get unstuck gets the engine hot faster than anything I know of.

Yeah, it's time for a Nexus tho....

Twilight Error 01-17-2013 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeahbaby (Post 20503952)

There is a large oil passage in the head that runs around the combustion chamber's circumference. Oil picks up heat here and it gets pumped through the cooler. In that respect, its very similar to the way a liquid cooled engine is set up. My bike hasn't overheated (yet), so I'm not entirely sure what set of conditions would have to occur, but I strongly suspect low speeds and high ambient temps are on the list. Boosting airflow through cooler can only help keep oil temps down.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:39 PM.