ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   N00B to GPS, quick help toget started (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856221)

smarcis11 01-17-2013 07:40 AM

N00B to GPS, quick help toget started

Just picked up a Garmin Oregon 450(my first real GPS), Birdseye, and a SDcard for the Northeast.

I want to make some routes on the computer, mostly dirt (not gravel or graded roads, I mean real deal single track if possible) with intermitten roads to connect (title for my CRF450x will come soon, hopefully). Doubt I'll do any overnight trips, but I wont count a 1-nighter out.

I have gathered that basecamp is my best starting point for software. I dont get mapsource with the sdcard, right?
What I'm still grey on is if my sdcard maps are able to be used in basecamp? Do I need to return it and get the dvd and a blank sdcard for storage? I think eventually I'd like to get pretty good and intricate with mapping and planning, but for now I'd like to just not get lost and not have to stop and pull a map out every 5 miles.

Could someone give me the basic how to; what exactly I am making (custom map or just a plot of points that will show on my sdcard map?); and what pieces I need to do so.

THANKS

P.S I just moved to PA/NY near Elmira if anybody knows of good trails or wants a riding buddy when the weather perks up and I rejet the bike for lower elevation.

Emmbeedee 01-21-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smarcis11 (Post 20507658)
Just picked up a Garmin Oregon 450(my first real GPS), Birdseye, and a SDcard for the Northeast.

I want to make some routes on the computer, mostly dirt (not gravel or graded roads, I mean real deal single track if possible) with intermitten roads to connect (title for my CRF450x will come soon, hopefully). Doubt I'll do any overnight trips, but I wont count a 1-nighter out.

I have gathered that basecamp is my best starting point for software. I dont get mapsource with the sdcard, right?
What I'm still grey on is if my sdcard maps are able to be used in basecamp? Do I need to return it and get the dvd and a blank sdcard for storage? I think eventually I'd like to get pretty good and intricate with mapping and planning, but for now I'd like to just not get lost and not have to stop and pull a map out every 5 miles.

Could someone give me the basic how to; what exactly I am making (custom map or just a plot of points that will show on my sdcard map?); and what pieces I need to do so.

Most people recommend getting the dvd version but the maps you bought on SD can be seen by Basecamp. If they are not seen when you plug the gps in and use Mass Storage Mode, you may need to use the program called JaVaWa to enable their visibility. See the thread on the Garmin Montana in my sig if you need information on JaVaWa.

There are video tutorials in Basecamp which describe the program and how to use it.

smarcis11 01-22-2013 03:08 PM

OK I'll give that a go. So it sounds like I pull up my map in Basecamp create, lets say, some waypoints and routes, then load those points back to my GPS and since the map is on the card in the GPS the points will fall into place on that map when I'm out in the willy wags?(obviously I would test first to make sure I did it right).

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:35 AM.