ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   loud exhaust options? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856270)

jacoba331 01-17-2013 11:02 AM

loud exhaust options?

i used to have an 1150 with the ztechnick exhaust and i loved the throaty sound. i currently ride the 1200 with a ztechnick, but it is much quieter than my previous ride.

any mods you guys do to get a little louder sound? and if you do mess with the baffles will that screw with the motor efficiency or electronics? any cans out there that pump out a beefy(er) sound? any ideas or experiences or opinions are much appreciated.

Desert Skies 01-17-2013 11:26 AM

loud exhaust options?

Jack up the handlebars and drive a harley under them? :dunno

Jazz62 01-17-2013 11:59 AM

:lurk

bimmer5891 01-17-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacoba331 (Post 20509402)
i used to have an 1150 with the ztechnick exhaust and i loved the throaty sound. i currently ride the 1200 with a ztechnick, but it is much quieter than my previous ride.

any mods you guys do to get a little louder sound? and if you do mess with the baffles will that screw with the motor efficiency or electronics? any cans out there that pump out a beefy(er) sound? any ideas or experiences or opinions are much appreciated.

What year 1200GS?

K9XX 01-17-2013 12:52 PM

I mounted a Yoshimura RS3 first, which added a nice grunt. Then I opted for the Remus header/cat delete. This promptly blew out the packing in the RS3 and now my GS is LOUD! I've had this setup for almost 20,000 miles now and other than the occasional subtle backfire/popping on deceleration it runs great! The mechanic at the dealer loves when I bring it in. He has the same setup on his GS only with a TBR can that is also void of packing like mine. At night, at the right angle, it makes fire:clap

This reply was 98% true and factual.

Karlxx 01-17-2013 01:19 PM

I also have no Cat with a Leo Vince SBK, it is truly offensive :evil and should also be very offensive on a 1200.

def 01-17-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlxx (Post 20510389)
I also have no Cat with a Leo Vince SBK, it is truly offensive :evil and should also be very offensive on a 1200.

If you lived next door to me, I would be offended by your loud motorbike. I would call the law and have you cited for disturbing the peace and tranquility.

Boxers make uninspiring engine sounds...there is no cam overlap and the engine dynamics just do not produce a nice engine song.

Listen to an old Brit 500cc single like a Matchless or a Manx Norton if you want nice engine sounds...otherwise, you're just makin' unpleasant racket.

My riding mower V twin B&S makes nicer sounds than the boxer.

JimVonBaden 01-17-2013 01:51 PM

You want loud? Get an Acropovic full exhaust. Not only are they stupid loud, but you get to pay a premium for the pleasure of offending everyone!:deal

Jim :brow

eatpasta 01-17-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacoba331 (Post 20509402)

drill holes in the cat

everycredit 01-17-2013 02:21 PM

Two options that are relatively cheap:

1. Hollow out your silencer.
2. Remove silencer and replace with a straight pipe.

Too loud? Use steel wool. Fits nicely in your ear canal.

jacoba331 01-17-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmer5891 (Post 20509913)
what year 1200gs?

jacoba331 01-17-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K9XX (Post 20510193)
I mounted a Yoshimura RS3 first, which added a nice grunt. Then I opted for the Remus header/cat delete. This promptly blew out the packing in the RS3 and now my GS is LOUD! I've had this setup for almost 20,000 miles now and other than the occasional subtle backfire/popping on deceleration it runs great! The mechanic at the dealer loves when I bring it in. He has the same setup on his GS only with a TBR can that is also void of packing like mine. At night, at the right angle, it makes fire:clap

This reply was 98% true and factual.

lets get a video to hear this bad boy!

DSTEVENS 01-17-2013 05:13 PM

I disagree with the opinion that the boxer engine has a poor exhaust note, Listen to the stock 2010 and later exhaust, that is mechanical music, not loud enough for my tastes, but music none the less. As for noise makers the Akrapovic full system for off road(no cat) is pure mechanical symphony, I love the sound of that motor. I will have the Akra system soon, besides the only people that I worry about waking up is the next batch of immigrants crossing the river, I also live 3 blocks from Southern Pacific line, the people round here wouldnt know if you started a top fuel dragster at 6am. Best wishes to you noise makers. D.

STUFF2C 01-17-2013 06:14 PM

take the can off and get a chrome turn out tip.

For the record... I'm glad you live 1000 miles north of me :D

def 01-17-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSTEVENS (Post 20512167)
I disagree with the opinion that the boxer engine has a poor exhaust note, Listen to the stock 2010 and later exhaust, that is mechanical music, not loud enough for my tastes, but music none the less. As for noise makers the Akrapovic full system for off road(no cat) is pure mechanical symphony, I love the sound of that motor. I will have the Akra system soon, besides the only people that I worry about waking up is the next batch of immigrants crossing the river, I also live 3 blocks from Southern Pacific line, the people round here wouldnt know if you started a top fuel dragster at 6am. Best wishes to you noise makers. D.

The old Ducatis with the bevel gear drive OHC and a megaphone sounded OK but, the big Brit singles have sounds that are unmatched.

With valve timing that had both intake and exhaust valves opened at the same time (that's called overlap in cam profile parlance), a small dia. exhaust pipe and a short RCM, a big Dellorto or Amal carburetor...sorry, your boxer sounds anemic compared to those vintage Brit bikes. It appears that your archive of motorcycle sounds is limited to modern day engines....pity.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:05 AM.