ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Viking on a rampage, maybe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856291)

rattis 01-17-2013 12:46 PM

Viking on a rampage, maybe

Hail fellows
My name is Andy and I hope to buy a bike somewhere in the south west close to Mexico.
But and this is a very big butt!
I need to know which state has the fastest DMV because there's no wy I can afford to stay for a month in the US waiting for some paperwork that should 'bout 5 mins to finish.
Is there somwhere where speed an efficiency runs amok or are they all sloths?
Please PM me with ifo :deal

CA Stu 01-17-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rattis (Post 20510152)
Hail fellows
My name is Andy and I hope to buy a bike somewhere in the south west close to Mexico.
But and this is a very big butt!
I need to know which state has the fastest DMV because there's no wy I can afford to stay for a month in the US waiting for some paperwork that should 'bout 5 mins to finish.
Is there somwhere where speed an efficiency runs amok or are they all sloths?
Please PM me with ifo :deal

What, exactly, do you need from the DMV?

rattis 01-20-2013 09:24 AM

papers

Allnecessary paperwork so thatI can take my set of wheels out of th country, south and beyond :D

Mr. G 01-20-2013 09:36 AM

I have heard that AZ will issue a title on the spot.

California definitely will not though you will get a registration in your name and valid license plates. Title comes in the mail 2 - 4 weeks later.

Either way you are going to need some kind of semi valid mailing address in the state in which you title the bike.

Off Limits 01-20-2013 04:33 PM

why not just buy one in mexico? prob way less headache than registering in california

DannyG 01-20-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. G (Post 20533393)
I have heard that AZ will issue a title on the spot.

California definitely will not though you will get a registration in your name and valid license plates. Title comes in the mail 2 - 4 weeks later.

Either way you are going to need some kind of semi valid mailing address in the state in which you title the bike.

when i did AZ which was several years ago (2011) it was on the spot.. however now they have emission for motorcycles so things may changed

Mr. G 01-20-2013 06:30 PM

Danny

Is AZ MC emissions testing now statewide? I thought it was only in the counties surrounding Phoenix

CA Stu 01-21-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. G (Post 20533393)

I don't know about anything beyond Mexico, but valid registration and plates are all you need there.
You certainly don't need to be in physical possession of the title.

Heck, if someone has a vehicle financed the finance company holds the title. :dunno

roundtripping 01-21-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA Stu (Post 20541848)
Heck, if someone has a vehicle financed the finance company holds the title. :dunno

And most likely will NOT let you leave the country with the financed vehicle :deal :D

CA Stu 01-21-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundtripping (Post 20541944)
And most likely will NOT let you leave the country with the financed vehicle :deal :D

I wish they would have told me that the last few times I did it. :D

Edit: Not sure that is the case, I always get Mexican insurance....:dunno
How could they stop you anyway? :D

roundtripping 01-21-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA Stu (Post 20542007)
I wish they would have told me that the last few times I did it. :D

Edit: Not sure that is the case, I always get Mexican insurance....:dunno

There's probably not gonna be anyone anywhere checking whether your vehicle is financed or not when you leave - but if you do leave the country and something happens to your financed vehicle and the lien holder has in the fine print that it can't cross any borders, it's gonna HURT.

CA Stu 01-21-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundtripping (Post 20542047)
There's probably not gonna be anyone anywhere checking whether your vehicle is financed or not when you leave - but if you do leave the country and something happens to your financed vehicle, it's gonna HURT.

Insurance.

I have heard a tale of a BMW GS being stolen south of the border.
The owner got paid for it and he wasn't complaining... :dunno

mergatroyd 01-21-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. G (Post 20537185)
Danny

Is AZ MC emissions testing now statewide? I thought it was only in the counties surrounding Phoenix

AZ is on the spot, emissions is Phoenix only for motos.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:50 PM.