ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Weird Turn Signal failure - 1150 GS Adv (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856800)

MikeO 01-19-2013 01:44 PM

Weird Turn Signal failure - 1150 GS Adv

Just collected my 2003 1150 Adv from Scrimingers after having a custom geartbox fitted. Unfortunately by trailer - hey ho...

Got back to my mate Peter's garage and decided to fit the HIDs and Autoswitch I'd bought. Bike on ramp, tank off, headlights off. Decided to sort the autoswitch first, so disconnected the right hand handlebar switch main plug under the tank, before baring a section of the Brown/White wire on the 'bike' end of the connector. This is the 'Turn Signal Cancel' wire and should give a pulse to earth when the indicator cancel button is pressed.

Reconnected the plug and put the multimeter on the positive battery terminal and the bared wire, turned the ignition on - no reading. Pushed the cancel button - once again no reading. Hmmm. Tried the Turn Signals - they didn't work. Checked that the plug was correctly seated and all pins in good condition. Neither indicator worked.

Weirdly, though, the hazard lights worked as advertised from the switch, both on and off.

Work I have done affecting the Turn Signals recently:

Fitted rear LED Turn Signals with extra brake lamp LEDs - these worked as advertised after fitting and the brake light LEDs still work - as do the Turn Signals, but ony as hazards.

Fitted front LED Turn Signal and these also worked as advertised (and still do - but only as hazard lights).

I rode the bike 70ish miles to Sleaford last Saturday when all the Turn Signals were working OK. Steve Scriminger replaced the gearbox, the header studs in the heads, changed the final drive oil, fitted a new clutch slave cylinder and air filter. He also did a throttle body balance. None of this would, on the face of it, have any effect on the problem - I mention it for completeness.

I have a spare Turn Signal relay in the garage somewhere, so I'll be replacing that as a logical next step, but I'm pretty sure the same relay controls the hazard lights, so I'm not hopeful that this is the cause.

Any ideas?

Mike :ear

gsweave 01-19-2013 02:20 PM

fuses?

MikeO 01-19-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsweave (Post 20527699)
fuses?

Not a fused circuit.

All the fuses are intact though...

Mike :dunno

everycredit 01-19-2013 09:23 PM

Yes. Have Steve fixed what he f'ed. :D

Anorak 01-19-2013 11:44 PM

Did you try it without the Autoswitch?

MikeO 01-19-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anorak (Post 20530980)
Did you try it without the Autoswitch?

All of this happened without fitting the Autoswitch - the wiring was normal except for the section of insulation removed from the Brown/White wire. I can't say for certain that the turn signals worked before we'd bared that wire (and which we kept protected - ie didn't let it ground or anything), by have no reason to think that was a factor...

Mike :dunno

ElMartillo 01-20-2013 12:44 AM

Unlikely the mechanic caused the failure. He didn't mess with the electrical system, but you did; and the turn signals specifically. It's a good chance your LEDs have something to do with it. Start reversing everything you've done, check operation at each step.

I've got a Y2K 1150GS, when I installed my LED turn signals I got a "fast flash" when I turned them on, but the hazards worked normally. This is because the flashing is controlled by the motronic. You may find the problem lies therein.

I hope this helps, somehow.

Cheers! :thumb

Zoef zoef 01-20-2013 01:21 AM

Sir,

My hunch would be the turn signal cancel wire. If that wire is somehow connected all the time (=cancel switch is pressed), then the flasher relay can't work. The alarm flashing has its own on/off switch, ie is not influenced by the cancel switch.

everycredit 01-20-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoef zoef (Post 20531113)
Sir,

My hunch would be the turn signal cancel wire. If that wire is somehow connected all the time (=cancel switch is pressed), then the flasher relay can't work. The alarm flashing has its own on/off switch, ie is not influenced by the cancel switch.

This seems to make the most sense. The cancel switch has no effect on hazard lights (which you state are working). So if we take it to be true that the cancel switch grounds the flashers, then you have a grounding issue with the circuit.

MikeO 01-20-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everycredit (Post 20531122)
This seems to make the most sense. The cancel switch has no effect on hazard lights (which you state are working). So if we take it to be true that the cancel switch grounds the flashers, then you have a grounding issue with the circuit.

I'd agree, but the circuit isn't connected to earth/ground when tested, whether the switch is operated or not...

Mike :bluduh

everycredit 01-20-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeO (Post 20531132)
I'd agree, but the circuit isn't connected to earth/ground when tested, whether the switch is operated or not...

Mike :bluduh

Could there be a short to ground on the circuit that you aren't aware of? My apologies that I'm not familiar with the circuit in question, but am familiar with circuits in general.

MikeO 01-20-2013 02:24 AM

Update:

I've now got the bike in the garage. When I disconnect the RH switchgear at the under-tank multi-pin plug, the left indicator now functions as normal.

It's tempting to point the finger at the right hand switchgear, but I guess the fault could also be anywhere where the circuits are 'made' when the switchgear is connected?

MikeO 01-20-2013 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everycredit (Post 20531217)
Could there be a short to ground on the circuit that you aren't aware of? My apologies that I'm not familiar with the circuit in question, but am familiar with circuits in general.

Please don't apologise - I need all the help I can get! :D

Please see my latest update above...

Mike

everycredit 01-21-2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeO (Post 20531241)
Update:

I've now got the bike in the garage. When I disconnect the RH switchgear at the under-tank multi-pin plug, the left indicator now functions as normal.

It's tempting to point the finger at the right hand switchgear, but I guess the fault could also be anywhere where the circuits are 'made' when the switchgear is connected?

Does the right side work when you disconnect the left?

I'm still thinking there's a short and it seems the right side is culprit. I think if the answer to the question is false, I would focus on right-side.

MikeO 01-22-2013 10:41 AM

Replacement switchgear fitted and problem cured. :clap

I've got some spare switches in a drawer somewhere, so I'm going to remove the switchgear at the weekend and replace the turn signal cancel switch.

Many thanks for all the help...

Mike :thumb

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:36 PM.