ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Anyone recognize this NorCal XR650R? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856898)

oscar_champagne 01-19-2013 09:57 PM

Anyone recognize this NorCal XR650R?

I just bought this today from a guy in Pittsburg, CA. He bought the bike about a year ago, only rode it a couple of times and didn't really know much about it.. Its plated with:

- a baja designs kit
- Scotts damper
- gold Excel rims
- pro-circuit muffler
- some aftermarket exhaust system
- ~4 gallon tank
- fat bars

I'm new to these bikes and don't know much about them so have likely missed some things.

Its got a Death Valley Rally sticker from '11 and a Bradshaw sticker from '08 as well as an ADV sticker on the other side so thought someone here might recognize it.... I'd love to know more about its history.

Anyone know the previous/original owner?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8516/8...373e3b11_b.jpg

jessepitt 01-20-2013 08:13 AM

Bump

Looks like a serious bike.

ramjet 01-21-2013 06:58 AM

Great bike! What would you like to know about it?

oscar_champagne 01-21-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramjet (Post 20540015)
Great bike! What would you like to know about it?

Thanks! I'm mostly interested in what if anythings been done to the suspension, what weight rider its sprung for etc. Also a little curious about overall mileage and maintenance but less so since, while well used it seems to have been looked after nicely.

ramjet 01-21-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscar_champagne (Post 20540819)
Thanks! I'm mostly interested in what if anythings been done to the suspension, what weight rider its sprung for etc. Also a little curious about overall mileage and maintenance but less so since, while well used it seems to have been looked after nicely.

Suspension was set up with revalve and racetech springs by Rob Barnum in SoCal. Rider weighs 155 but that suspension should be good up to 185. Not sure about mileage overall but it was used only for offroad rides never commuted or much street at all. Well maintained with regular service intervals at Berkeley Honda and owner frequent oil changes. Bike is uncorked and rejetted. It will run like a tiger and never let you down when you need power. I have a bunch of other paperwork and info, I can get to you later when I get back from my trip. I also have a factory workshop manual. A few other things, swing arm bearings were replaced not to long ago, spoke nipples on those Excels were getting a bit tough to turn so you should check those for seizing.

oscar_champagne 01-21-2013 04:58 PM

Wow - Ramjet, I didn't realize from your first response that this was your bike. Thanks!

I'd love to get my hands on the paperwork etc. PMing you my number email etc.

focallength 01-21-2013 05:08 PM

Go post in the L.A. sub forum, its been to DVR and the BBR both of which are typically done by the same crowd. The PO must have had gorilla arms or kyphosis, my back hurts just looking at those bars. :D

skolios 12-26-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramjet (Post 20542547)
Suspension was set up with revalve and racetech springs by Rob Barnum in SoCal. Rider weighs 155 but that suspension should be good up to 185. Not sure about mileage overall but it was used only for offroad rides never commuted or much street at all. Well maintained with regular service intervals at Berkeley Honda and owner frequent oil changes. Bike is uncorked and rejetted. It will run like a tiger and never let you down when you need power. I have a bunch of other paperwork and info, I can get to you later when I get back from my trip. I also have a factory workshop manual. A few other things, swing arm bearings were replaced not to long ago, spoke nipples on those Excels were getting a bit tough to turn so you should check those for seizing.

Hey RamJet,

Nice luggage rack, what is it?

Cheers
S.

bobfab 12-27-2013 06:36 AM

looks like a pro-moto billet to me!

Nice looking XR!

ramjet 12-27-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfab (Post 23074131)
looks like a pro-moto billet to me!

Nice looking XR!

That is Correct-o! It proved to be very reliable and strong.

skolios 12-27-2013 08:34 AM

Luggage Rack

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramjet (Post 23074355)
That is Correct-o! It proved to be very reliable and strong.

Thanks, another item on the "to order" list :evil (By the end of all the mods this bike is gonna cost me as much as a couple of KTM 690 Enduro)
Great build by the way as well ;)

ramjet 12-27-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skolios (Post 23074828)
Thanks, another item on the "to order" list :evil (By the end of all the mods this bike is gonna cost me as much as a couple of KTM 690 Enduro)
Great build by the way as well ;)

The bolts on the rack that mount it to the subframe tend to "walk" out over time. I discovered using a bit of blue thread locker solved that problem.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:23 PM.