ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Driveshaft service, when? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857277)

Swinefahrt 01-21-2013 12:55 PM

Driveshaft service, when?

My '07 GS has been running smoothly! During a recent final drive fluid change with 26K miles on the clock I pulled the drive shaft off for the first time checking the universal joints. The transmission input end moves smoothly in both planes. The final drive end moves smoothly in one plane and the other one has a very slight notchiness when moving the joint through the center.

Should I bite the bullet and ship the shaft to Bruno's for overhaul or is there a certain amount of notchiness that is acceptable?

Desert Skies 01-21-2013 12:59 PM

That seems like low miles to start to feel notchiness.

There are gonna be replies that say run it until it breaks. That can be very costly and even dangerous.

I would have it fixed.

STUFF2C 01-21-2013 02:11 PM

Run it till it breaks... there :wink:

jdub 01-21-2013 02:16 PM

If and when I ever feel anything less than perfect smoothness when checking my bike's u-joints, they'll be replaced because there's a problem developing with at least one of the bearings. No sense in trying to guess how long until the problem may become an outright failure.

def 01-21-2013 02:44 PM

I have high blood pressure for which my doctor prescribes medication. If I do not take my medicine, I might have a heart attack, suffer severe cardiac disease or worse yet, die.

Your drive shaft exhibits an anomaly that suggests the drive shaft could fail, causing damage to the Paralever housing or worse yet, lock the rear wheel causing an accident with possible injury or death. :eek1

Depending on your preference, there are domestic services that can fit new u-joints to your drive shaft without you having to endure the costs of shipping out of the country.

Better take your medicine. :nod

everycredit 01-21-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by def (Post 20542781)
I have high blood pressure for which my doctor prescribes medication. If I do not take my medicine, I might have a heart attack, suffer severe cardiac disease or worse yet, die.

Your drive shaft exhibits an anomaly that suggests the drive shaft could fail, causing damage to the Paralever housing or worse yet, lock the rear wheel causing an accident with possible injury or death. :eek1

Depending on your preference, there are domestic services that can fit new u-joints to your drive shaft without you having to endure the costs of shipping out of the country.

Better take your medicine. :nod

As a man, I will develop prostate cancer if I live long enough.

I'm not going to have it removed, take cancer meds, or other treatments until I develop cancer.

Catastrophic failure can happen at any time with a shaft in any condition. That said, the chances are much greater if it shows signs of wear.

If you're worried, change it. The money is worth peace of mind. The fact that you are asking probably means that you should.

Riding a motorcycle always involves risk. Some people are very risk-adverse. Those people are probably not on this forum, as they probably don't ride bikes. Some are so risky that they are reckless. These people may not be on this forum either, as they may not be among the living. It's up to you what level of risk you are comfortable with.

Will the shaft fail tomorrow? Probably not. Will it ever fail? As a moving part, it will eventually.

Swinefahrt 01-21-2013 03:59 PM

Of course you guys are correct. I called Bruno this morning for shipping details. It'll go out tomorrow.

I guess this driveshaft business is kind of a crap shoot. My bike is a GS, not ADV, I'm a small guy that has never overloaded the bike, and its only been on a few gravel roads. Others get a 100+K miles before they have to repair the shaft.

def 01-21-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everycredit (Post 20543173)
As a man, I will develop prostate cancer if I live long enough.

I'm not going to have it removed, take cancer meds, or other treatments until I develop cancer.

Catastrophic failure can happen at any time with a shaft in any condition. That said, the chances are much greater if it shows signs of wear.

If you're worried, change it. The money is worth peace of mind. The fact that you are asking probably means that you should.

Riding a motorcycle always involves risk. Some people are very risk-adverse. Those people are probably not on this forum, as they probably don't ride bikes. Some are so risky that they are reckless. These people may not be on this forum either, as they may not be among the living. It's up to you what level of risk you are comfortable with.

Will the shaft fail tomorrow? Probably not. Will it ever fail? As a moving part, it will eventually.

Mr. everycredit,

You now have a choice....smoke salmon or smoke marijuana...both are legal where you live.

Me? I'll take the salmon, thank you. But, that's my choice.

Your Seahawks did well...my Falcons? Not too badly.

def 01-21-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swinefahrt (Post 20543277)
Of course you guys are correct. I called Bruno this morning for shipping details. It'll go out tomorrow.

Wise man.

Where in Tejas? I lived in Katy and Spring for many years. Enjoyed watching #34 play for the Oilers...

Swinefahrt 01-21-2013 04:21 PM

Kingwood

everycredit 01-21-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by def (Post 20543386)
Mr. everycredit,

You now have a choice....smoke salmon or smoke marijuana...both are legal where you live.

Me? I'll take the salmon, thank you. But, that's my choice.

Your Seahawks did well...my Falcons? Not too badly.

I have a DEA license. I fall under federal law. Federalism is a bitch.

Drif10 01-21-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swinefahrt (Post 20543277)

I guess this driveshaft business is kind of a crap shoot. My bike is a GS, not ADV, I'm a small guy that has never overloaded the bike, and its only been on a few gravel roads. Others get a 100+K miles before they have to repair the shaft.

I've tracked over a dozen 07's that have popped their front knuckles at the 50k mile range. Mine went at 56k. Luckily, it was still warranty.

My second one is over 50k now, I just this morning mailed it off to Bruno. He's almost local to me, in the same province anyways, so hopefully it won't take too long to get back.

From observation of the occurrences here, I'm treating this as a preventative maintenance item. Though folks seem to get all cranked up about final drive issues, I've found that the driveshafts (at $1000 a pop) are much more likely to need replacement. If it pops, it takes out the yoke, which means new shaft time.

def 01-22-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everycredit (Post 20543649)
I have a DEA license. I fall under federal law. Federalism is a bitch.

Then opt for the salmon.

little foot 01-22-2013 01:43 PM

I never go looking for trouble therfore i never find any.

Desert Skies 01-22-2013 01:48 PM

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:39 AM.