ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Americas (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   mexico vehicle importation (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858036)

Tom Blum 01-24-2013 09:54 AM

mexico vehicle importation

I am planning to spend the month of February in Oaxaca. I planned to take my Van with my Kawa 250 on a rear rack. I have insurance on both.
I just caught a phrase "only one vehicle per person is allowed" AY Chichuahua!!

Does anyone know if this is fact?? or can I continue as planned and check through the border without major problems.

Since I leave Saturday, a quick reply from a knowledgeable person would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

tricepilot 01-24-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Blum (Post 20564886)
I am planning to spend the month of February in Oaxaca. I planned to take my Van with my Kawa 250 on a rear rack. I have insurance on both.
I just caught a phrase "only one vehicle per person is allowed" AY Chichuahua!!

Does anyone know if this is fact?? or can I get continue as planned and check through the border without major problems.

Since I leave Saturday, a quick reply from a knowledgeable person would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Well, I don't know Shit from Shinola, but here is your quick reply. What I do know is that you can import both vehicles on one TVIP with a catch. That 250 won't technically be allowed on the road.

Why? Like you likely could have caught from earlier posts especially in the Is Mexico Safe? thread, your van will have it's full VIN listed, that bike will only have a partial VIN listed. This is pursuant to the stipulation that only one road vehicle is allowed per TVIP. The bike would be considered a recreational vehicle. Essentially, the officiales will be letting you bring it in as an off-road bike.

The two indicators to you and to those officials who care that the bike is not allowed on the road are (1) the truncated VIN, and (2) the fact that it isn't appearing on its very own TVIP. The fact that it's listed on the "primary" TVIP for a vehicle with a fully listed VIN is the big tag.

Having said all of this. Would I bring the bike into Mexico as described and then ride it on the road? jajajajja ask me that over a tequila. Your bike is plated, right? And nobody I know is putting their bike's TVIP on the windscreen anymore. We're all keeping them in the tank bag or pannier. So your bike won't stand out because you don't have a TVIP sticker on it. Roadside inspections? Let's just say that last week, when I returned, I completed a trip where I didn't see even a military checkpoint going north. Could you be waived over by the Federal Police? Sure. Would they check your TVIP? In theory they might. It's your call. I think the chances are slim you would be caught. IMHO you would be taking a small, calculated risk riding a "secondary vehicle" on the highways. I think you would get away with it, but hey, you heard the disclaimers.

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-8...-8qfQDJp-S.jpg

The Walrus 01-24-2013 10:32 AM

Mexican insurance is a requirement.....can you buy it for the mainland without the TVIP?

IF, and I would say it again, IF anything goes wrong, do you realize what you could lose.........the TVIP is a credit card charge that is not processed for a period of time and refunded when you leave......

holckster 01-24-2013 10:49 AM

No experience but google search found this:
http://www.mexperience.com/guide/ess...-in-mexico.php

These are paragraphs that apply;
NOTE THE EXCEPTION
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
One Vehicle Per Eligible Person

Only one vehicle can be imported into Mexico per person. If you are traveling with your spouse or child over 18, they may each register one car in their name.

There is one exception to the one-person, one-car rule: if you tow a car behind your RV, there is no need for second person to be traveling with you; but you must show proof of ownership for both vehicles, and both vehicles must be taken out of the country together when you leave.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Motorcycles, ATVs, etc.

If you are towing or carrying other single-passenger motorized vehicles these may be registered with the car that is towing or carrying them. You must show proof of ownership of all vehicles and you can only bring up-to three single-passenger vehicles--one each for up to three passengers traveling in the main vehicle. All vehicles must be exported together when you leave Mexico.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Like most "Offical" crap I'm still confused but the Exception says you should be able to haul in your moto.
Make sure you have "Origional" registration, not a copy.
I almost did not get in with my copy ( I assured her it was an "Origional Copy" and she said OK this one time only) Whew !

Enjoy Oaxaca.
Spent a week there last March after reading Triceplolts Ride Report (check it out in his signature line).
Good luck
Safe Travels

tricepilot 01-24-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Walrus (Post 20565123)
Mexican insurance is a requirement.....can you buy it for the mainland without the TVIP?

IF, and I would say it again, IF anything goes wrong, do you realize what you could lose.........the TVIP is a credit card charge that is not processed for a period of time and refunded when you leave......

First of all, Mexico insurance is not a requirement**, but it is a very good idea. I don't ride Mexico without it.

Buying Mexico-specific insurance has nothing to do with obtaining the TVIP.

Referring to the OP question and keeping it in that context, the [insert personal risk calculation adjective here] risk one takes riding a "recreational vehicle" listed as the secondary on a primary vehicle TVIP on the highways is not forfeiture of the bike's TVIP deposit, it's impoundment of the bike itself.

**This may vary by individual Mexico state. There are 31 states and the Federal District. I don't keep up with all their laws, especially since I blanket cover my bike anyway, on every trip.

Tom Blum 01-24-2013 12:03 PM

Thanks guys. I'm feeling better about this.

Regards "can you buy insurance for two vehicles" The answer is Yes. I purchased insurance for the Van and the bike from an online agent. Copperstate is the insurance company. I think the agency was AJO. One of the top three hits with a Google search

$118.55 each for 6 months coverage. The daily rate for 1 1/2 months was much more.

Tom Blum 02-22-2013 03:03 PM

My stay in Oaxaca is almost over. At the border, when I nodded after the agent said something about "mountains/Montaign" I was able to get the two vehicles in on one sticker on the Van windshield.

No questions or problems after clearing the border.
Virtually none of the bike I have seen here (100's even 1000's) have tags at all. No one has asked about insurance.

Of course, I've been in school and used it very little. Had I known, I wouldn't have bothered to bring it.

The rear rack and topes do not get along. I'm going to store it inside the van for the return trip.

Lone Rider 02-22-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Blum (Post 20787250)
Virtually none of the bike I have seen here (100's even 1000's) have tags at all. No one has asked about insurance..

A great place to go, eh?
:thumb

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:48 PM.