ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   bent upper fork. what to do? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858506)

The Wolf 01-26-2013 09:59 AM

bent upper fork. what to do?

the upper has a slight bend in it. VERY SLIGHT. can i just replace the upper or do i need replace the entire right fork with a new one? its on a 2013 KTM 500XCW with .7 hrs on it. im really hoping i dont have to replace the whole fork.

give me some opinions fellas. thanks in advance!:freaky

The Letter J 01-26-2013 11:13 AM

You can replace just the tube. Is it visable with the named eye? Does it cause any stiction in the fork action? If not, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

mcma111 01-26-2013 11:48 AM

Munn Racing

<table border="1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="300"><tbody><tr><td align="center" bgcolor="white" width="20">12 </td> <td align="left" bgcolor="white" width="80"> 48600736 </td> <td align="left" bgcolor="white" width="150"> OUTER TUBE L577 D54/60MM 2L </td> <td align="right" bgcolor="white" width="50"> $379.69 </td></tr></tbody></table>

The Wolf 01-26-2013 02:36 PM

kna its not a visible bend or kink. its just making the wheel sit a degree or two crooked.

so it is possible to just replace the upper outer tube right? i just really want to be certain so im sure that im buying the right stuff to fix it.

MitchG 01-26-2013 02:47 PM

Most "good" machine shops can straighten tubes in a press very economically. Ask around at the better bike shops that are involved in off road racing.

calmod 01-26-2013 03:14 PM

is it just tweaked?

I've had a bunch of dirt bikes including a KTM and the forks got tweaked on all of them. All we ever did was get in front of the bike, hold the front wheel between our legs, and twist the bar back and forth till it was all cool. My opinion is that it is very hard to actually bent the fork leg, it just gets tweaked in the clamps. You can loosen a few bolts if you want. I have bent fork legs twenty years ago but that crash was epic.

The Wolf 01-26-2013 04:10 PM

well this crash was caused by the throttle or throttle bodies getting stuck without me knowing causing a 12oclock wheelie from a rolling pace into a rod iron fence. not epic proportions, but it did destroy the fence and give me a temperal fracture in my skull. the wheel doesnt seem to be bent. perhaps the front axle is a little bent.

mcma111 01-26-2013 04:57 PM

Pull the forks and put the legs end to end and roll them. If the tube is bent you will see daylight or a gap between the legs.

Mudguts 01-26-2013 05:24 PM

I'm thinking you have twisted the triple clamp , with NO damage to the fork leg.

Simply loosen all axle bolts , head stem nut , fork clamp, bottom fork clamp
and muscle back into possition, It is very common for PPL to think they have bent a fork when it is a simple re-alinement job

8gv 01-26-2013 05:50 PM

Fractured scull and you're worried about your forks? Count your blessings.:deal

The Wolf 01-26-2013 08:57 PM

i dont worry about dying. well i atleast try not to let that into my focus. i worry about living my life. if death comes i want to feel like i lived the best life i could, thus not being afraid.

that said, i didnt survive all the shit i have survived to not get back on my bike.

thanks for the info fellas. i really appreciate it and hopefully i get it squared off next week

CHEERS

MCCOYBOY 01-27-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudguts (Post 20582473)
I'm thinking you have twisted the triple clamp , with NO damage to the fork leg.

and muscle back into possition, It is very common for PPL to think they have bent a fork when it is a simple re-alinement job

BINGO! I highly doubt you bent a fork tube.

agent of orange 01-27-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudguts (Post 20582473)

that sounds more like the issue.. my wife once bought a cheap suzuki madurra that they guy thought had bent forks. it took her all of a few mins to loosen the triple pinch bolts and she has a front end that looked normal.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:21 PM.