ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Garmin 78 off Battery tender cable?? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859002)

gumbellion 01-28-2013 09:01 AM

Garmin 78 off Battery tender cable??

Is it possible to run my garmin 78 off of the cable that I already have running on my bike from the battery that is used for the battery tender?
I figure it would be pretty nice if there is a way I can do this without wrecking the unit.
My idea was to get the "ciggarette lighter" power plug and cut that end off, then add on a connector the same as the battery tender end.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. I already have a BMW plug that I would like to keep for my heated gear or anything else I have, while also running the GPS. I also have a tender on my snowmobile so i would be able to move the unit from my bike to sled with the seasons without doing anything

Countdown 01-28-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumbellion (Post 20592961)
Is it possible to run my garmin 78 off of the cable that I already have running on my bike from the battery that is used for the battery tender? My idea was to get the "ciggarette lighter" power plug and cut that end off, then add on a connector the same as the battery tender end.

1) Yes, 12V is 12V
2) That would would work but this kit is much better.

http://www.cycoactive.com/Store/2473...-176C-60-76-78

It has cap to cover exposed 12V contact in round connector. You obviously don't need second fuse as there already is one in the Battery Tender cable.

gumbellion 01-28-2013 11:56 AM

Thanks Count,
That might be a easier route than making my own. I will remove it from the bike/sled when not in use I think.

Countdown 01-28-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumbellion (Post 20594119)
Thanks Count,
That might be a easier route than making my own. I will remove it from the bike/sled when not in use I think.

You can connect a 2 way SAE connector to the end and mate it to Battery Tender cable coming from battery.

Emmbeedee 01-29-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countdown (Post 20595605)
You can connect a 2 way SAE connector to the end and mate it to Battery Tender cable coming from battery.

That's what I did back when I had my 60/76 units.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6...0/SANY0290.JPG

The cable in this shot is what I made up. The connectors in the picture come from PFranc.com

jules083 01-30-2013 09:56 AM

Why did I not think of this? :baldy

A suggestion/idea- Buy an extra battery tender plug, and when you cut the cigarette lighter part off put the plug on that end. Now if you need to run the GPS in the car or something you can still use the cigarette lighter plug.

gumbellion 02-04-2013 08:22 AM

Jules, or if anyone is interested in a plug let me know and I can make up some extras.
I should be able to do it for 15-20 bucks from snooping around.
It would be just cost the shipping and parts
Next week I will order the stuff I need to make 3 for me. One on the bike, one on the snowmobile, and one for the jeep

zig06 02-08-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumbellion (Post 20646843)
Jules, or if anyone is interested in a plug let me know and I can make up some extras.
I should be able to do it for 15-20 bucks from snooping around.
It would be just cost the shipping and parts
Next week I will order the stuff I need to make 3 for me. One on the bike, one on the snowmobile, and one for the jeep

Are the ones that you make water proof? Just wondering what I would need to do if I happen to park my bike out in the rain.

Yes, I am interested in getting one of the cables that you are making.

gumbellion 02-08-2013 12:56 PM

I havnt made one yet but the connections will be soldered, coated in dielectric grease, then heat shrunk individually, then as a pair. So that part will be water proof. Then just unplug it from your battery tender and put the cap back on the tender and carry the extension with you.
If you left it on there you would need some sort of cap for the 4 pin connector to the GPS. Should be easy enough to keep that part dry, i will have dielectric grease on that female end aswell.
I was going to order enough to make a few anyways. I will make some extra and if someone ever needs one I will have them
Im not in a rush to make them. Maybe next weekend I will order the parts and then make them on the next cold saturday.

Emmbeedee 02-08-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumbellion (Post 20679773)
I havnt made one yet but the connections will be soldered, coated in dielectric grease, then heat shrunk individually, then as a pair. So that part will be water proof. Then just unplug it from your battery tender and put the cap back on the tender and carry the extension with you.
If you left it on there you would need some sort of cap for the 4 pin connector to the GPS. Should be easy enough to keep that part dry, i will have dielectric grease on that female end aswell.
I was going to order enough to make a few anyways. I will make some extra and if someone ever needs one I will have them
Im not in a rush to make them. Maybe next weekend I will order the parts and then make them on the next cold saturday.

The 4 pin Garmin connector never had any problem with moisture in the years I had that on my 60/76CSx units in motorcycle use. There was nothing to fear, unlike the usb connectors which could blow the gps in a light rain.

I know, I lost two Garmins, a Nuvi 780 and an Oregon 550, on a trip once to the same wet usb cable.

Emmbeedee 02-08-2013 08:53 PM

Also, there's no need to fear moisture in the battery tender/sae cable end or the 4 pin Garmin cable. I never capped mine and never had a problem with them.

gumbellion 02-12-2013 11:12 AM

im selling off a bunch of crap to top up my pay-pal account so as things go I will start ordering the parts. Once I make some I think I wont sell more than a handful so that I dont have to post up in vendors.
I will keep anyone who PMed me in the loop

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:17 AM.