ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Another year of harrassment for California motorcyclists? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859039)

larryboy 01-28-2013 11:01 AM

Another year of harrassment for California motorcyclists?

I see that all the grant money has been handed out by the state for "safety" enforcement on motorcyclists. Even though we have this data:

"The grant will assist in efforts to deal with traffic safety problems and to reduce the number of persons killed and injured in traffic collisions. While traffic deaths from all causes declined by nearly 39 percent between 2006 and 2010 in California, state and federal officials anticipate that figures will show a slight rise in 2011. DUI deaths remain the largest sector, at nearly 30 percent of traffic fatalities. Recent trends show increases in two new categories distracted driving and drug-impaired driving."

From here:

http://elkgrove.patch.com/articles/m...g-to-elk-grove

A quick google search turns up articles over the last month for pretty much every city in California.

I noticed a distrubing trend during Motorcycle Awareness month last year. Out of all the motorcycles that I would see during my riding around, a solid 85% of them were on the side of the road with the police inlcuding me. I don't think that is what's intended by "motorcycle awareness" campaigns.

I really don't see why motorcyclists are included in this grouping?

Activities that the grant will fund include:
  • Specialized DUI and drugged driving training such as Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST), Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE), and Drug Recognition Evaluator (DRE).
  • DUI Saturation Patrols
  • Motorcycle safety enforcement
  • Speed, red light and stop sign enforcement
Motorcycles are an extremely small segment of registered vehicles in California...800,000 motorcycles versus 22 million others.

Things I'm going to do to prepare for another year of harrassment...light and safety check of every bike before I leave the house. We all get lax, I'll get that turn signal bulb this weekend...tire is about bald, but it's summer, I'll run it a little longer. Got my new tag in the mail, but it looks like it's good until the end of the month, it's not.

Gotta have my ducks in a row because I'm gonna be one mouthy SOB the next time I get pulled over. :deal

I routinely see drivers smoking weed driving down the road and they're gonna pick on me because I ride a motorcycle?

bobnoxious67 01-28-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryboy (Post 20594184)
."

...Gotta have my ducks in a row because I'm gonna be one mouthy SOB the next time I get pulled over. :deal...

No fuckin way...:huh

el queso 01-28-2013 11:20 AM

How are you getting motorcycle harrasement out of that article? There's just one bullet point stating that part of the grant goes to "Motorcycle safety enforcement."

At least in the LA area, cops seem pretty easy on motorcyclists. The last time I got pulled over the cop asked me why I did what I just did. I told him that I had no excuse, that it was stupid mistake, and he let me go.

tedder 01-28-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

patch.com is not a reliable source. It's effectively a federated advertising network with amateur journalists.

buddoggin 01-28-2013 04:47 PM

I ride pretty much everyday here in southern Ca and haven't been stopped since 2006.

Bill Harris 01-28-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddoggin (Post 20596667)
I ride pretty much everyday here in southern Ca and haven't been stopped since 2006.

You do realize that you just jinxed yourself, Bud... :eek1

--Bill

DAKEZ 01-28-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Harris (Post 20596710)
You do realize that you just jinxed yourself, Bud... :eek1

--Bill

:rolleyes
Do you believe in Rabbits feet and Gremlin Bells too?

BanjoBoy 01-28-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddoggin (Post 20596667)

Sure, my Momma ain't never bean stopped, butt she's purdie damn slow too. :deal

buddoggin 01-28-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanjoBoy (Post 20598376)
Sure, my Momma ain't never bean stopped, butt she's purdie damn slow too. :deal

I may be slow but I sure am old...:clap

windmill 01-28-2013 10:12 PM

Up here in Washington, it has gone the other direction, I see virtually no traffic enforcement by the State or city police except for a few select locations. Even commercial vehicle enforcement is noticeably down.

daveinva 01-29-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 20597885)
:rolleyes
Do you believe in Rabbits feet and Gremlin Bells too?

You don't?? You need to watch that nice lady's video again. :deal

:hide

little foot 01-29-2013 01:17 PM

California a whole other country.

tedder 01-29-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little foot (Post 20602880)
California a whole other country.

Indeed. We believe in proper grammar and not marrying cousins.

ttpete 01-29-2013 02:06 PM

That's all federal money (our taxes) from those nice folks in DC who were voted back in.

They don't do catch-and-release here in MI. The state AG said if they stopped motorcyclists, they also had to stop all of the cars and trucks to avoid discrimination. Same thing for DUI inspection lanes. Stop everyone or nobody.

LuciferMutt 01-29-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Gotta have my ducks in a row because I'm gonna be one mouthy SOB the next time I get pulled over. :deal

Good luck with that.

What were you stopped for last year?

Unfortunately, way too many motorcyclists think it's cool to ride to bars. Thus, I'd wager a guess that there are lot of drunk motorcyclists around on Friday and Saturday nights. Could be part of the DUI enforcement to stop and check...

On the other hand, if you are seeing bikes pulled over during "non-drinking hours" that's bullshit, IMO.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:50 AM.