ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   What's my R100GS worth? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860140)

Johnny Locks 02-01-2013 06:54 PM

What's my R100GS worth?

I'm considering selling or trading my 1992 R100GS and would like to get a decent assessment of it's value. I don't have any pictures and can't get any real soon as it's in my friends garage a ways from here. I'll try to be accurate about the condition and what I think is relevant information. Maybe I can get some pictures this weekend, though it's sitting with the swing arm off right now.

General Condition:
96K miles
All original except aftermarket heated grips
Everything works as it should and it doesn't do anything strange.
Cosmetically it looks like a 20 year old bike that has 96K miles on it. It's been used, but not abused, maintained well, but I don't think it was ever cleaned with Q-tips.
I got it last April with 88K miles on it. It came with some service history, but with some rather large holes in the history, so I don't know every that's been done to it.

The good:
Come spring it will have a freshly rebuilt driveshaft from Hendersen Precision and new paralever bearings.
It comes with the PD solo seat and rack AND a stock two up seat that I bought from an inmate that looks likes it's never been used, and I haven't used it yet.
Comes with stock luggage.
Will come with some minor odds and ends (service manual with all my notes from service, couple of oil filter kits, some drain plugs and crush washers, valve cover gaskets)

The bad:
This winter it started weeping from the neutral switch. (I might get around to fixing that by spring, depends how difiicult it is.)
It weeps a little from the pushrod seals, it never left a stain anywhere, just some weeping.

Things I have done to it:

Cracked exhaust nuts loose and applied anti-seize (twice)
Changed engine oil every 2500 miles, filter changed every other.
Changed Trans oil every 2500 miles.
Changed final drive oil once.
New fork seals (they were leaking) and changed fork oil twice (wanted heavier oil after the first change)
New spark plugs.
New tires Gripster rear (25% remaining) Anakee front (98% remaining)
Replaced shackle that the horn mounts to (it broke)
Adjusted valve clearance

Thats all I can think of. What do you think?

akabeton 02-01-2013 07:04 PM

Photos would help

Difficult to say without seeing it.

As much as someone is willing to pay, I would guess anywhere between $3000 -$6000.

Steve G. 02-01-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akabeton (Post 20630314)
Difficult to say without seeing it.

As much as someone is willing to pay, I would guess anywhere between $3000 -$6000.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. Mint is 7K, like mint. Subtract off for paint.
At 96,000miles, it may be time to look at the valves when you pull the heads off to do the pushrod seals. There's a $600 job if you need valves/guides, which it probably will need guides.
Ask $5400, take 4900.

Buddyv 02-01-2013 09:52 PM

Seems like in my area (San Francisco Bay Area), generally good condition models such as your bike have sat on the market if priced over $4K.

So I think the street value on your description is around $3800

I have an 88 model in much better shape (than your description) and I "might" get $4K.

Good luck..... tough time to sell (IMHO)

Johnny Locks 02-02-2013 12:58 PM

Pictures

I will post some pictures when I have time to take some. I have a general idea of what I will ask for it, but I wanted to see what others would say. I might keep it who knows? I really like the thing, but for some reason I got it in my mind that I want a modern fuel injected bike, probably a Vstrom.

I wanted a GS partly because I liked the idea of shaft drive. Then I got this bike and well, I'm sure you know all about the shafts giving people the shaft, and now that I think about it, chains and sprockets are pretty reliable, and easy to replace.

akabeton 02-02-2013 06:50 PM

Get the work done in the Spring.

You should be good for another 40k - 80k with minimal maintenance. Any problems and the work will be guaranteed,
Guy has a good reputation and stands behind his work 100%, several threads on here will vouch for that.

These bikes are relatively easy to maintain. Some great guys here on ADV to help if you get stuck.

Get it fixed and enjoy it for a while.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:14 PM.