ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   battery problem? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860217)

lukeinlondon 02-02-2013 07:09 AM

battery problem?

Good morning, would appreciate some help with this pressing issue..

Bought a '10 bike that has 145 miles, he had the bike on a charger pretty much the whole time.

As soon as i started the bike when i got it, I got the brake failure light and then the empty battery flashing light..

I have ordered the Odysee PC535 from Wunderlich who modded it for me however their bracket is on order (2 weeks) I thought maybe i could hold out HOWEVER last night starting the bike (quite cold) it wont start..i manage to start it and hold the throttle at 10% until the rpm's kick up a little and i know the bike has caught on..

It happened this morning as well!! I called Wunderlich and left a message for Edward asking that he just ship the battery to me ASAP and forget about the bracket.

I just wanted to see if anyone has experience with this and whether i am right to believe this is an issue with the battery?

CHEERS

lukeinlondon 02-02-2013 10:22 AM

Had the same issue this morning, going to BMW after work to get them to fit the Yuasa..another question that might be connected..I havent been able to find the Tyre Pressure Control on my menu? I was really looking forward to that feature!!

My fog lights haven;t stayed on since the first day of owning the bike i am hoping this is battery related..jezus i just got the bike and I am having p*roBLems!

lukeinlondon 02-02-2013 10:44 AM

thanks to LaurelPerryOnLand

I have learn;t that the brake failure light normally comes on prior to taking off, it then goes off which is what happens..

Phew...one less concern now

kimokk 02-02-2013 04:53 PM

Have you read through the owner's manual yet? Lots of helpful tips in there. :D

STUFF2C 02-02-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimokk (Post 20636318)
Have you read through the owner's manual yet? Lots of helpful tips in there. :D

:lol3

vtbob 02-02-2013 05:56 PM

You battery is bad....you problems will likely go away with the new battery. Just wait for it

lukeinlondon 02-02-2013 09:45 PM

went to BMW after work..he tested the battery and said it was ok..i changed it anywas seeing as i would eventually have to and sitting around for three years cant be good for it..started up ok but the engine would have still been warm..the battery light still came on with the new battery..the mechanic said something about batteries sitting on shelves and not being fully charged??..i went home let the bike sit for a few hours then cold started it...and the same problem! Could it be a spark plug issue? It starts..but then the it cuts out..to get the engine to stay running i have to pull the throttle a little for about 1 minute before i hear the rpm's pick up.. anyone got any experience with this? I am LOVING this bike and would like to feel a bit more confidence when i go to start it.. Cheers

marchyman 02-02-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukeinlondon (Post 20637965)
the battery light still came on with the new battery..

The battery warning ALWAYS comes on after starting the bike. At least it does on my bike. It goes off about 5-15 seconds after start-up. Been that way since new (7 1/2 years). Also, when the temperature is below about 40F the bike may need a bit of throttle to start.

Is that what you are talking about?

kimokk 02-03-2013 06:28 AM

If the bike has been sitting for the last three years, the fuel system may be gummed up. Some have suggested flushing out the fuel system by pouring a bottle of techron in the gas tank. Do this a couple of gas tanks worth. This shoud help clean out the fuel lines, injectors and valves.

lukeinlondon 02-03-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimokk (Post 20639378)
If the bike has been sitting for the last three years, the fuel system may be gummed up. Some have suggested flushing out the fuel system by pouring a bottle of techron in the gas tank. Do this a couple of gas tanks worth. This shoud help clean out the fuel lines, injectors and valves.

Thank-you..same issue this morning..held the throttle cocked for a couple of minutes and still wouldn't hold..managed to get the bike rolling but it sounded aweful and no matter how much i gunned it the power wasn't their...got halfway down the road and turned around and managed to get it back..looked the symbol that has come up

..and it says the 'engine is in emergency-operation mode'

lukeinlondon 02-03-2013 07:35 AM

also...why is my battery symbol coming up after replacing the battery?

I thought this bike was the best bike in the world..this is very frustrating

kimokk 02-03-2013 09:08 AM

If it's still under warranty, I'd take it to the dealer to have them sort it out, or, get a service manual for your model year bike and start troubleshooting/diagnoing.

lukeinlondon 02-03-2013 09:39 AM

looked at the service manual..for the engine emergency issue..it doesn't say much that is of help..i spoke to Lior..he was REALLY helpful (called me at 8 this morning minutes after pm'ing him) info to update tomorrow

Ayrshire Bull 02-03-2013 10:03 AM

Luke - the tire pressure sense thing - is an option (I think) on the GS - so your bike may not have it.

If your bike does have this option, the info on tire pressures (front and rear) doesn't come up on the display right at start up. The pig needs a bit of time to wake up and get that circuit all up and running. Before it gets up and running, it will look a bit like this: ------- / -------

Hitting the INFO button a few times, will cycle the display round to pressure. It can be displayed in different units - I'm going to guess, that in Old Blighty, you'll want to set it to the PSI units.

good luck -

lukeinlondon 02-03-2013 11:05 AM

thanks Bull

that --- / --- doesn't even come up :( if only that was my issue..

spoke to my insurance broker they do $500 credit towards a towing company so looks like i can get my bike to Lior
so the plan is to get AAA to take me to the local BMW get them to tell me if i fall under warranty..if i DON'T..then get my insurance company to take me over to Lior..i feel good about this... or better should i say
'

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:04 AM.