ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Horseshoe Dam walkway crossing AZ (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860241)

Yellowdatsun 02-02-2013 08:39 AM

Horseshoe Dam walkway crossing AZ
 
Anyone know if the walkway under Horseshoe Dam NE of Phoenix, AZ is always open? Wondering if you can just ride up there and go across? Or are there some tips or tricks to it?

2 SPOT 02-02-2013 11:46 AM

always open. no gate or fence.

sawzaller 02-03-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowdatsun (Post 20633369)
Anyone know if the walkway under Horseshoe Dam NE of Phoenix, AZ is always open? Wondering if you can just ride up there and go across? Or are there some tips or tricks to it?

Was just up there yesterday to survey that situation. No gates or fences for the walkway. There's 2-3 ride reports on the interwebs with pics of riders crossing. The approaches on either side may or may not be a challenge depending on your curb weight and skill. West side approach is rock/dirt and the east side is a good incline but concrete like a khoi pond.

Kevinsterner 02-03-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowdatsun (Post 20633369)
Anyone know if the walkway under Horseshoe Dam NE of Phoenix, AZ is always open? Wondering if you can just ride up there and go across? Or are there some tips or tricks to it?

If you are doing the loop including sheeps crossing bridge, I would go over sheep crossing first and then down horseshoe. The other way you have to go from the riverbed up a nasty rocky hill to sheeps bridge.

prsdrat 02-04-2013 10:10 AM

Can someone refer me to a route map for the Sheep Bridge-Horseshoe Dam
Loop ? And, what's a good time of year when there might/should be
overflow at the dam?

This one's on my bucket list and my window of two-wheeling is closing down.

Kevinsterner 02-04-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prsdrat (Post 20647987)
Can someone refer me to a route map for the Sheep Bridge-Horseshoe Dam
Loop ? And, what's a good time of year when there might/should be
overflow at the dam?

This one's on my bucket list and my window of two-wheeling is closing down.

750 has a very good description of the route. I don't think we have had enough rain in the past few years to have the water go over the spillway. If its not going over now with all the rain the past week it will probably be sometime before it happens.

Yellowdatsun 02-04-2013 01:00 PM

Thanks guys. The thread grew further than I thought it would. Good tip on the direction of travel. Our plan was to just go check it out, but maybe we'll do the loop instead. It'll be two KLR's a gen 1 and a gen 2.

F-Pilot 02-04-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prsdrat (Post 20647987)
Can someone refer me to a route map for the Sheep Bridge-Horseshoe Dam
Loop ? And, what's a good time of year when there might/should be
overflow at the dam?

This one's on my bucket list and my window of two-wheeling is closing down.

Go right after a huge rainstorm, they usually release water then. It can be pretty spectactular.
Here is the SRP site that lists runoff, just click on the day and scroll down about halfway on the report page.
http://www.srpwater.com/dwr/

http://azdualsport.multiply.com/phot.../Sheeps-Bridge#


http://multiply.com/mu/arizonadualsp...nmid=160615775


http://multiply.com/mu/arizonadualsp...nmid=160615775


http://multiply.com/mu/arizonadualsp...nmid=160615775

Yellowdatsun 02-04-2013 05:23 PM

I ended up riding out there today to scope things out. Here's a bunch of pictures so the rest of you know exactly what to expect. I have to say doing a crossing here is not for the new riders. I also don't see how you guys can get past the sharp corners without bashing your bikes on the concrete.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps71703afa.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps8d1a2852.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps04874a66.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps3754ed61.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps40601542.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps8bcf3966.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps0a3790d2.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps97bf75cb.jpg

2 SPOT 02-04-2013 06:38 PM

hard to believe how fast rain can fill up behind that dam. last month horsehoe lake was still non existant verde river.

the walkway is tight but do-able with bikes, just pay attn. two ppl wont be a problem to scoots the rear end around the corners easy.

terb 02-04-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowdatsun (Post 20650976)
I ended up riding out there today to scope things out. Here's a bunch of pictures so the rest of you know exactly what to expect. I have to say doing a crossing here is not for the new riders. I also don't see how you guys can get past the sharp corners without bashing your bikes on the concrete.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps71703afa.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps8d1a2852.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps04874a66.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps3754ed61.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps40601542.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps8bcf3966.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps0a3790d2.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps97bf75cb.jpg


Do you have a picture of the lake?? And what bike did you take?

Yellowdatsun 02-04-2013 07:19 PM

The lake was probably half full. I took my KLR, but didn't ride it across.

Crilly 02-04-2013 07:41 PM

What is harder, the dam or the bridge?

terb 02-04-2013 07:52 PM

The only hard spot is on the east side of the bridge where the rocky 100 foot down hill is.

DurtKlod 02-04-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 750Volts! (Post 20648189)
...this road continues through the 7 springs rec areas and campground areas. There are 2 nice water crossings.

When you come to the first concrete water crossing, GO SLOW! I repeat... GO SLOW! Since this crossing always has water running across, it is slick. I've heard of several guys losing it on this crossing and the momentum carries them off the edge of the concrete ford and onto the rocks below.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015