ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   I saved a /5 yesterday... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860440)

flux_capacitor 02-03-2013 03:53 AM

I saved a /5 yesterday...

I've been looking for a long time for a "barn find" bike that was in somewhat reasonable shape that I could restore. Yesterday I found that bike and I'm stoked about bringing it back to life.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pse5eec0d9.jpg

Meet "Elvis" (named after the original owner who bought it new in 1974 and rode around shooting deer in South GA on it). 1973 R75/5 with 20k miles on it, bought from the 2nd owner. It has been sitting under a sheet for 10 years so it has plenty of "personality" to go with it.

It has all the parts... battery box side panels, all blinkers, etc. It turns over just fine but is gonna need a new battery, seals replaced, fluids flushed, and tank needs relined. Carbs were sent to Bing 10 years ago and they rebuilt them; they have never had gas in them.

My plan is to restore it to good rideable condition and ride the piss out of it. I won't repaint it except where there is rust. I like the story the bike has, and I don't want to cover it up.

I've got some learning to do. Already been surfing through the airheads forum for awhile now. I've been infatuated with these old BMW's for some time now and am really excited to finally own one.

I even drew one for my buddy's shop who specializes in vintage BMW restores, Apex Cycle Shop. We put this image on t-shirts. He'll be key in helping me get the bike going, both in advice and guidance.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps3da4a83b.jpg

I'll have to post a pic of the actual shirt. We reversed it to go on a black shirt. They turned out great.

I'll post some more/better pictures of the bike soon.

JonnyCash 02-03-2013 03:56 AM

I need one of those shirts. Seriously! Nice find. I going to get in the truck to go pick up a /5 this morning, though it's nowhere near as nice as that one.

flux_capacitor 02-03-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyCash (Post 20638830)
I need one of those shirts. Seriously! Nice find. I going to get in the truck to go pick up a /5 this morning, though it's nowhere near as nice as that one.

Thanks JC. The filter I used on this pic makes it look nicer than it is, lol. Best thing it has going for it is it has all the original parts. Even the original tool kit and hand pump. There is plenty of rust and leaking oil. :freaky

I can get you a shirt, I'll PM you though, I don't want to come off as spamming. If anyone else wants one, PM me and I'll give you the 411. :clap

spo123 02-03-2013 05:16 AM

SWB or LWB?
I will NEVER sell mine
Enjoy your new find.......You will even have more fun RIDING that toaster.

Cogswell 02-03-2013 06:35 AM

You are a good man for rescuing that bike so that it may live on ! :clap

Keep us posted with pictures along the way.:deal

Mike

disston 02-03-2013 06:55 AM

Great find. I would not take much time at all to get this one started. Rinse or flush the gas tank and replace the fuel lines. New oil and fluids. New battery. I think you can do things like push rod seals and most rubber for that mater as it needs it. Replace the speedo rubber boot on the trans end of the speedo cable. I'd clean and lube the hand controls and check all the cables for operation. I'm finished. I have run out of ideas for stuff that might need doing. Start her up.

dmftoy1 02-03-2013 06:56 AM

I'm restoring a 74 with 19k miles on it (R90/6) that had similar history in NC. If its made of rubber and you'll be working on an area plan on replacing it. (Grommets, seals, washers, etc)

Be curious what your fork innards look like if you rebuild them. Mine were packed full of oily black gunk and the dampers didn't work . . .$48 in parts and they nice and functional again!

Keep posting pictures as you progress!!

blaine.hale 02-03-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flux_capacitor (Post 20638825)

I even drew one for my buddy's shop who specializes in vintage BMW restores, Apex Cycle Shop. We put this image on t-shirts. He'll be key in helping me get the bike going, both in advice and guidance.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps3da4a83b.jpg

I'll have to post a pic of the actual shirt. We reversed it to go on a black shirt. They turned out great.

I'll post some more/better pictures of the bike soon.

You're in good hands with Wes. I have the t-shirt somewhere ;)

hardwaregrrl 02-03-2013 07:30 AM

Hey Flux.....

....unlike Patty, I will leave my neck of the woods.:deal Lemme know if you need a hand....could host a tech day and let everybody else do the shit work!:lol3

crazydrummerdude 02-03-2013 09:22 AM

Most excellent.

bpeckm 02-03-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyCash (Post 20638830)
I need one of those shirts. snip.

me too.......

.......................me tooooo......... :freaky

:D

wmax351 02-03-2013 04:08 PM

Looks like a nice project. I built a '71 with a toaster tank from boxes of parts (that used to be a bike) for my dad. Full crankcase up resto-rider.

I need to get one of those shirts.

SuchesRider 02-03-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl (Post 20639743)
....unlike Patty, I will leave my neck of the woods.:deal Lemme know if you need a hand....could host a tech day and let everybody else do the shit work!:lol3

Hey watch it there girlfriend! :lol3 You are right. If the tech day is in Dawsonville, consider me in! I can/will leave the Dahlonega/Suches area if I don't have to go far! :D SR

Wirespokes 02-03-2013 07:56 PM

Seriously cool artwork! I love it! What does it look like on a black T?

uh... no one's asked so I guess I'll be the one to make a fool of myself but...

this bike didn't belong to THE famous Elvis, did it?

Sutherngintelmen 02-04-2013 05:25 AM

Great bike Flux! :clap Does restore to original spec include rifle scabbard? :lol3

If you need to rework steering head bearings I've got an extractor. :freaky

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:27 PM.