ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   1999 640 Adventuer Questions (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860704)

stickit 02-04-2013 12:48 AM

1999 640 Adventuer Questions

Just bought a 1999 model , have a few questions that might seem dumb but need to get solved . 1 ,Do they only start in neutral ? Mine only does it has a center and side stand , but can't see any censes to stop it from starting in gear when the stands down . 2 Are they always hard to start ie , one time starts with choke and stalls as soon as you throttle it off ; then wont start with choke and have to give it throttle to make it run . I did have to shorten up the right hand side fuel line as it was leaking like a sieve. This bike has done 25000ks and from all perspectives it looks in show room condition . Cheers for the help I have ridden her once up the dirt and loved every minute , but can see all the talk on the vib !! I have done a heap of research and been finding it hard to find the right answers for my prob's . Cheers

gunnerbuck 02-04-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickit (Post 20645658)
Just bought a 1999 model , have a few questions that might seem dumb but need to get solved . 1 ,Do they only start in neutral ? Mine only does it has a center and side stand , but can't see any censes to stop it from starting in gear when the stands down . 2 Are they always hard to start ie , one time starts with choke and stalls as soon as you throttle it off ; then wont start with choke and have to give it throttle to make it run . I did have to shorten up the right hand side fuel line as it was leaking like a sieve. This bike has done 25000ks and from all perspectives it looks in show room condition . Cheers for the help I have ridden her once up the dirt and loved every minute , but can see all the talk on the vib !! I have done a heap of research and been finding it hard to find the right answers for my prob's . Cheers

There is a starter relay switch that ties in with the clutch lever so you can't start the bike in gear without the clutch pulled in... This is a safety feature and it sounds like yours is not working... You can either bypass it by joining the 2 wires together, try cleaning the contacts or replace it...

stickit 02-05-2013 12:49 AM

Could you post some pic's so I can fig out where it is . Cheers

gunnerbuck 02-05-2013 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickit (Post 20653091)
Could you post some pic's so I can fig out where it is . Cheers

I'm used to the later hydraulic clutch models, but yours is probably in a similar location... Just follow 2 wires with a connector that plug into the clutch lever perch... This connector has a tiny spring loaded switch that moves when the clutch lever is pulled...

bisbonian 02-05-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickit (Post 20645658)

My '99 has some sort of electrical switch mounted on the clutch side I believe, haven't paid it much attention as it hasn't caused me any problems.

The stalling may have something to do with the carb settings. I found that the idle mixture really made a difference and ended up buying a mixture screw from Loaded at Stenhouse Racing. It might not be the worst idea to take the carb apart to inspect and clean, mine was very worn and needed a bunch of parts replaced when I first bought it.

I replaced most of the fuel hoses on mine. I didn't mess with the molded hoses but anything that could be replaced with straight hose from the parts store got changed out.

stickit 02-06-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisbonian (Post 20656863)
My '99 has some sort of electrical switch mounted on the clutch side I believe, haven't paid it much attention as it hasn't caused me any problems.

The stalling may have something to do with the carb settings. I found that the idle mixture really made a difference and ended up buying a mixture screw from Loaded at Stenhouse Racing. It might not be the worst idea to take the carb apart to inspect and clean, mine was very worn and needed a bunch of parts replaced when I first bought it.

I replaced most of the fuel hoses on mine. I didn't mess with the molded hoses but anything that could be replaced with straight hose from the parts store got changed out.

I have figed maybe the prob ; same as your bike traced those wires and they connect to nothing . I have 2 male connectors sitting near it doing nothing . But when I connect the one with a heap of wires it blows the fuse . The other one is connected by one brown wire and the other is broken . Could you have a look and source what yours connects to and maybe I can fig my prob out . Please .

stickit 02-06-2013 12:53 AM

I forgot to mention my fuel lines must have already been replaced as none of them are molded to a shape . They sprang a leak the other day from the right hand tank and have it on the list to replace them . Did they come with molded hoses people ??

DaddyBigDaddy 02-06-2013 08:00 AM

Wire

It is just in front of the counter shaft sprocket, there is a kickstand switch too. If the kick stand is down it won't start

bisbonian 02-06-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyBigDaddy (Post 20662242)
It is just in front of the counter shaft sprocket, there is a kickstand switch too. If the kick stand is down it won't start

I have no kickstand switches on my '99.

stickit 02-07-2013 12:44 AM

Kick start stand ?? Mine has a side stand as well as a center sand . The bloke I bought it off said he only ever used the kick start once and said take off the side stand to kick her over , but get it right or she well send you over the bars !!

stickit 02-07-2013 12:49 AM

Thought I would do this as a seperate post . I I found the prob .. Pulled the front farring off stuck my noggin in and connected wires together ; HAY PRESSTO !! Prob now is I saw other wire connectors ( three pron male )with no friend in sight . What you think ??

gunnerbuck 02-07-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickit (Post 20668143)
Thought I would do this as a seperate post . I I found the prob .. Pulled the front farring off stuck my noggin in and connected wires together ; HAY PRESSTO !! Prob now is I saw other wire connectors ( three pron male )with no friend in sight . What you think ??

There are some connectors under that dash that are not used....

stickit 02-09-2013 01:01 AM

So I was replacing the fuel lines this arvo and found a electrical connector comming of the carbie throttle . I can't see any other connectors to attach it to . Ideas boys

Ol'Muley 02-09-2013 03:56 AM

carb

Carb has proly been replaced it sounds like a later tps connector check bst bible

stickit 02-10-2013 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol'Muley (Post 20684499)
Carb has proly been replaced it sounds like a later tps connector check bst bible

TPS ?? Makes me wonder why replace , as carbies are far as I now reliable to the death, just keep it clean and jetted I have been having a heap of trouble with the trip and speedo ; can;t get it to find -1 on the trip diameter . It won't run thru the number + or - . , this makes the speedo go off the scales for speed . This is not the last of my questions !!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:18 PM.