ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Americas (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Northwestern Nevada (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860853)

Tlaloc 02-04-2013 04:14 PM

Northwestern Nevada

I'm thinking about riding from Portland down into Nevada on 140. I'd like to get off the pavement onto roads like 8A and 34A. What's the surface quality of those roads? I'm not very experienced at off-road riding and will be on a loaded Tenere. Knowing that these roads are not very traveled, is it advisable to ride them alone? My guess is that cell coverage is non-existent.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks.<o:p></o:p>

stormdog 02-04-2013 05:17 PM

From memory aren't those the roads you would take between Cederville or Gurlock and Denio junction?
If they are. When dry they are fast gravel I would catch myself running faster then freeway speeds on my 990
Can't vouch for them wet or this time of year.
Oh and watch for horses

Tlaloc 02-04-2013 07:51 PM

Thanks, Stormdog. Yes, those are the roads I'm thinking about. I'll go in late April or early May. So rain should be less likely.

Maybe I should take a flare gun. :D

jphish 02-06-2013 04:57 AM

Tlaloc - yep- good roads. A few short (100 yd) sections of sand that made the tiger 'squirm' a bit - but nothing that will be a problem at speed. Traveled them in & out while fishing Pyramid lake last May. You can go faster - but 55/60 is a nice pace to "make time" & still enjoy the Black Rock scenery.

LetItRoll 02-07-2013 08:40 PM

8a is usually great, better than some paved roads in places, better early in the year as long as no snow storms coming through, road surface should be set good.
Also 8a does have a little bit of regular passenger vehicle travel due to the fact it is a 45 mile shortcut and good enough condition that alot of locals use it instead of the pavement. Might get lucky and get some cell signal on a few of the high spots but generally not (I dont think it is any better on the nearby paved roads). I have never felt isolated out there, it is remote but as long as it is not snowed shut there is enough traffic to see somebody every couple hours or better all the times i've been on it (normal daylight hours). Have fun and as long as somebody knows your route/whereabouts I wouldnt worry too much.

Countdown 02-16-2013 06:38 PM

If riding in winter, first watch the movie about man & wife sleeping in snow cave and then walking thru snow to get help.

LetItRoll 02-16-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countdown (Post 20742276)
If riding in winter, first watch the movie about man & wife sleeping in snow cave and then walking thru snow to get help.

Good lesson in that story, they (he) picked that route because I-80 was closed due to heavy snow, and he thought they could save time by going around instead of waiting a couple hours for it to reopen. The first road they will ever get open in any area is the interstate! Don't leave the direct efficient way (interstate) with the big snow blowers and big budget and think that the back roads are going to be better. Then when you start across on the dirt road in your pickup truck and the snow starts getting deeper and deeper, just keep going till you get fully stuck. They are lucky they lived and they still ended up sueing the Cedarville hospital for the frostbite damage their own stupidity cost them. That was some bad decision making every step of the way there.

Countdown 02-17-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItRoll (Post 20742877)
They are lucky they lived and they still ended up sueing the Cedarville hospital for the frostbite damage their own stupidity cost them. That was some bad decision making every step of the way there.

Most deaths are due to bad decisions.

The Mormans told the Donner Party to take the road to LA then over Tejon pass to Gold country.

They told the 49 Death Valley party same thing but after starting toward LA they decided to just head west to Bird Spring pass that Freemont had come over. They didn't know the Panamint range was in the way.

Rob.G 02-18-2013 07:30 PM

If you're going down that way, it would be worth seeing High Rock Canyon in Nevada. I did it on ATVs years ago. It's a fun ride... any ADV bike could do it.

How long are you going to take for this trip? I might be inclined to come along if you wanted some company.

Rob

lvscrvs 06-04-2014 08:56 AM

More roads info sought...

Whitehorse Ranch Lane between 95 and 205 in SE Oregon

and

Twentymile Rd / Surprise Valley Rd going south out of Adel.

I'll be traveling solo through SE Oregon / NW Nevada mid-June on a fully loaded Tiger 955. We do fine on packed gravel and smooth dirt, but I'm not as young and strong as I used to think I was and it doesn't look like there's much traffic in these parts if we take a tumble ..... ruts, rocks and sand are okay with the WR250R, not so much with this rig.

Thanks!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:50 AM.