ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Switch Gear (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861261)

DSTEVENS 02-06-2013 02:08 PM

Switch Gear

Yes I am still a noob to the GSA, but I have ridden it almost a thousand miles so far and I do not like the positioning of the handlebar switch gear. It seems to me that the horn and blinker switches are too low, almost hidden from my perched view, I am 6'4" so maybe thats it. Wondering about such things. I am getting better at shifting as well LOL. D.

Osmin C 02-06-2013 02:12 PM

I came from a GSXR so I know what you mean. I have almost 3K on my GSA and I am now getting used to the button layout, to the point where I use them without thinking about them.

My advice.....put another few thousand on the bike. That will resolve more issues you than you realized you had. :D

DSTEVENS 02-06-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osmin C (Post 20664508)
I came from a GSXR so I know what you mean. I have almost 3K on my GSA and I am now getting used to the button layout, to the point where I use them without thinking about them.

My advice.....put another few thousand on the bike. That will resolve more issues you than you realized you had. :D

Thanks Osmin C, It seems strange positioning after years on a Strom, I have thought about looking into turning bars just a little, but will wait a few more thousand. Thanks. D.

StuartV 02-06-2013 03:25 PM

I came from, and still ride, a GSXR also. And have logged about 3 or 4 thousand miles on GS's, just in the last 9 months.

I don't think anybody will ever convince me that having to do stuff with my left hand to initiate or cancel a turn signal, while I'm also using that hand to operate the brakes, the throttle, and maybe even steer a little, is a better (or even remotely as good as) design than the standard Japanese switchgear. Never mind that the positioning of the turn signal cancel button virtually requires me to actually shift my left hand position a bit to press it.

trc.rhubarb 02-06-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuartV (Post 20665000)
I came from, and still ride, a GSXR also. And have logged about 3 or 4 thousand miles on GS's, just in the last 9 months.

I don't think anybody will ever convince me that having to do stuff with my left hand to initiate or cancel a turn signal, while I'm also using that hand to operate the brakes, the throttle, and maybe even steer a little, is a better (or even remotely as good as) design than the standard Japanese switchgear. Never mind that the positioning of the turn signal cancel button virtually requires me to actually shift my left hand position a bit to press it.

Zat one of them English bikes with everything on the wrong side?:lol3

VEGASGSA 02-06-2013 10:36 PM

Seriously? You have a throttle and brake on the left side..and you think the BMW switches are wonky?

It took me about..2 miles to figger it out..left thumb to go left..right thumb to go right..right thumb up a scoche to cancel..ain't hard..

After a few miles..it'll be fine..

PS..you can rotate the switches..but you'll have to drill some holes..the switch has pins that engage the bars..

EJ_92606 02-06-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb (Post 20667711)

:rofl:clap

JimVonBaden 02-07-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VEGASGSA (Post 20667774)
Seriously? You have a throttle and brake on the left side..and you think the BMW switches are wonky?

It took me about..2 miles to figger it out..left thumb to go left..right thumb to go right..right thumb up a scoche to cancel..ain't hard..

After a few miles..it'll be fine..

PS..you can rotate the switches..but you'll have to drill some holes..the switch has pins that engage the bars..

I have issues with the standard switch gear on most bikes. I am so used to the BMW switch gear that it is hard to use regular gear. It is a bummer BMW went to the cheaper style on the new Wethead and other bikes.

Jim :brow

freyke 02-07-2013 06:36 AM

Trust me, you'll get used to it and love it. It takes about 3000 miles before it's appeciated.

DSTEVENS 02-07-2013 06:49 AM

Thanks for the info, opinions, I just realized that my turn signals self cancel. Shows you how much I have ridden the bike. (lol)
I am used to Vstrom controls, and found them to be perfect for me. I also like the hi beam flasher where it is on Suzuki's. I really like my GSA, and am sure I will adjust to its differences. I just figured out how to set the ESA to different settings. I am on a roll. D.

rdwalker 02-07-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSTEVENS (Post 20664479)
.... It seems to me that the horn and blinker switches are too low, almost hidden from my perched view, ....

You can rotate the controls a bit (depending which bike it is) - that will bring the switches higher (or lower) - to fit your preferences.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 20668776)
I have issues with the standard switch gear on most bikes. I am so used to the BMW switch gear that it is hard to use regular gear. ... :brow

Oh, boy, you can say it again. And again!

qman8 02-07-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freyke (Post 20668895)
Trust me, you'll get used to it and love it. It takes about 3000 miles before it's appeciated.

Well, I've got almost 30k miles on my GS, and while I'm somewhat used to the controls, I STILL DO NOT appreciate it, like it, or think it makes any sense whatsoever. The horn and cancel buttons are COMPLETELY wrong for smooth control and safety, as noted. I come from VFRs, CBRXXs, Vstroms, FJRs, etc...I'm actually looking forward to possibly owning a wethead someday and get some REAL controls.

KsFolly 02-07-2013 04:17 PM

I'm glad I'm not alone. I find it hard to cancel without affecting throttle. Getting around to adjusting.

K

StuartV 02-08-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb (Post 20667711)

Oops. Obviously, I meant my right hand, not my left. :cry

StuartV 02-08-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSTEVENS (Post 20668967)
Thanks for the info, opinions, I just realized that my turn signals self cancel. Shows you how much I have ridden the bike. (lol)

I have an '09 GS. Do my turn signals self-cancel?? Even after just signaling for and then completing a lane change?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:55 PM.