ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Husaberg 570 vs KTM 530 adventuring (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861698)

kzeb 02-08-2013 11:03 AM

Husaberg 570 vs KTM 530 adventuring
 
Hi
I got some questions that I havn't been able to sort out with the search function,
yes I have done it a lot.... still no clear result only sore eyes:cob
:cry
Well not that bad :D

So my questions:
1: Is the KTM 530 as reliable and easy to maintain on the go and in the long run (adventuring + singletrack) as the Husaberg 570 when it comes to the engine ????

2: If not, is it possible to make it so ??? within reason...$$$



My reason for this is that it's alot easier (here) to find a fine KTM 530 vs a Husaberg 570
plus they are cheaper... (I'm thinking of a -09 KTM if I go that route)

I do like the carb and the kickstarter on the KTM,
but I still prefer the Husaberg ( Blue & Yellow at birth )

Cheers :ear

jar944 02-08-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzeb (Post 20679395)
Hi
I got some questions that I havn't been able to sort out with the search function,
yes I have done it a lot.... still no clear result only sore eyes:cob
:cry
Well not that bad :D

So my questions:
1: Is the KTM 530 as reliable and easy to maintain on the go and in the long run (adventuring + singletrack) as the Husaberg 570 when it comes to the engine ????

2: If not, is it possible to make it so ??? within reason...$$$



My reason for this is that it's alot easier (here) to find a fine KTM 530 vs a Husaberg 570
plus they are cheaper... (I'm thinking of a -09 KTM if I go that route)

I do like the carb and the kickstarter on the KTM,
but I still prefer the Husaberg ( Blue & Yellow at birth )

Cheers :ear

Its effectively the same engine rotated 180 degrees. If you wanted you could add 2t KTMberg plastic/seat/subframe and tank to the 530 and it would be blue.

Yellow Pig 02-08-2013 11:53 AM

Much easier to find a large capacity tank for adv riding for the KTM than the berg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

kzeb 02-08-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jar944 (Post 20679497)
Its effectively the same engine rotated 180 degrees. If you wanted you could add 2t KTMberg plastic/seat/subframe and tank to the 530 and it would be blue.

Well I know many internals are more or less the same,
but that does not have to mean they are equally as good when it comes to service intervals and reliability.
It seems there are more to the 70 degree engine than simply big bore (or stroking) & tilting the cylinder...

I am quite familiar with what the FE 570 is capable of as a adventure engine, but I have a hard time to compare it to what the 530 can do maintenace wise.

Thanks for your input though :beer

G Goat 02-08-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzeb (Post 20679395)
Hi


So my questions:
1:[ Is the KTM 530 as reliable and easy to maintain on the go and in the long run (adventuring + singletrack) as the Husaberg 570 when it comes to the engine ????

If not, is it possible to make it so ??? within reason...$$$



My reason for this is that it's alot easier (here) to find a fine KTM 530 vs a Husaberg 570
plus they are cheaper... (I'm thinking of a -09 KTM if I go that route)

I do like the carb and the kickstarter on the KTM,
but I still prefer the Husaberg ( Blue & Yellow at birth )

Cheers

1: Who told you the Husaberg was easy to maintain?

2: Where is question number two?

Whats wrong with orange and black?

The 530 may need the 2011 cam installed, but this was not among your questions.

The 530 is super easy to maintain, as is the husa. You will be happy with either color.

SRG 02-08-2013 05:58 PM

I'm no expert. I've ridden 400, 450 (owned this one), 525 and 530 KTM exc's. They are all very good (duh). Last fall I bought a 2010 FX450 Berg. The Berg just takes it up a notch. The Berg's oil change is easier and it holds a little extra oil. The stator puts out some extra watts. The motor is smoother than any exc I've ridden. The fuel injection has been perfect on the Berg. Much of the rest is either the same or very similar. The handling is a bit different - the Berg steers quicker/easier and the exc's are more stable IMHO. Adding extra fuel tanks is an expensive pain on the Berg. Right now the 70* Bergs are an undervalued bargain.

kzeb 02-09-2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Goat (Post 20681486)
1: Who told you the Husaberg was easy to maintain? You just did !

2: Where is question number two? Yea isn't it strange, I can't find it myself...

Whats wrong with orange and black? Nothing that I know of...?

The 530 may need the 2011 cam installed, but this was not among your questions. Ok, I just disregard it then, no worries.

The530 is super easy to maintain, as is the husa. You will be happy with either color.


Ok sorry about that :kumbaya peace ? :D

What I'm looking for is more of a discussion regarding the differencies of the two engines.
I've read alot about the Berg from inmates like Lost Rider, Lucas among others,
but I have not found the same storys about the 530.
Due to that I jumped to conclusions that the 530 isn't quite capable of the same, but please prove me wrong,
I dont mind.
The least I want is some pissing contest KTM vs Husaberg that would be pretty uninteresting.

Cheers

davesupreme 02-09-2013 06:02 AM

whatta 'ya talkin' about?..... pizzing contests are always interesting!..:evil... lot more than a bunch of dorks that gotta get the screwdriver directions out whenever they try to change their oil.....

kzeb 02-09-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesupreme (Post 20684939)
whatta 'ya talkin' about?..... pizzing contests are always interesting!..:evil... lot more than a bunch of dorks that gotta get the screwdriver directions out whenever they try to change their oil.....

Yea you may be right :bubba

:pain :wink:

Navin 02-09-2013 07:32 AM

I have a 530 and a 570. If you have a problem, pray you own the 530. I have my 530 stripped down to fit a 570 kit and cam. I'm waiting for parts but it took under an hour to strip the tank, rads, hoses, carb, head, cam, cylinder.

Same amount of time and number of bolts it takes to get the tank off the Burg.

If it never breaks, the Burg is delightful. I'm waiting for it to come back from the shop as I couldn't trouble shoot the latest issues. At 1500 miles it is getting a new cam, a new throttle body intake boot, the 4th fuel pump and I'm hoping that's it. KTM is generously covering only the cost of a new pump, no labor and nothing on the $375 cam with defective A/D that it has probably been bad since near day one. The bike always was a bitch to start.

On the flip side, the 530 has been raced, DSed and supermotoed since 09. It had 1/16" ring gap but still ran fine, just burning some oil. It has wanted for nothing. Gravity is a wonderful fuel delivery device!

The guts of the engines are identical, it is the packaging. The version #1 70 degree needed another generation to be better serviceable and carry more fuel with less trapped heat and components. Try pulling off the mid pipe! Holy Smokes!

G Goat 02-09-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navin (Post 20685462)
I have a 530 and a 570. If you have a problem, pray you own the 530. I have my 530 stripped down to fit a 570 kit and cam. I'm waiting for parts but it took under an hour to strip the tank, rads, hoses, carb, head, cam, cylinder.

Same amount of time and number of bolts it takes to get the tank off the Burg.

If it never breaks, the Burg is delightful. I'm waiting for it to come back from the shop as I couldn't trouble shoot the latest issues. At 1500 miles it is getting a new cam, a new throttle body intake boot, the 4th fuel pump and I'm hoping that's it. KTM is generously covering only the cost of a new pump, no labor and nothing on the $375 cam with defective A/D that it has probably been bad since near day one. The bike always was a bitch to start.

On the flip side, the 530 has been raced, DSed and supermotoed since 09. It had 1/16" ring gap but still ran fine, just burning some oil. It has wanted for nothing. Gravity is a wonderful fuel delivery device!

The guts of the engines are identical, it is the packaging. The version #1 70 degree needed another generation to be better serviceable and carry more fuel with less trapped heat and components. Try pulling off the mid pipe! Holy Smokes!

It will be interesting to see what KTM does with Berg now that KTM has acquired Husky.
Interesting about the Berg cam. Most inmates at ktmtalk recommend the 2011 berg cam for the 08-11 530. It supposedly makes it easier to start.

G Goat 02-09-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzeb (Post 20684900)
Ok sorry about that :kumbaya peace ? :D

What I'm looking for is more of a discussion regarding the differencies of the two engines.
I've read alot about the Berg from inmates like Lost Rider, Lucas among others,
but I have not found the same storys about the 530.
Due to that I jumped to conclusions that the 530 isn't quite capable of the same, but please prove me wrong,
I dont mind.
The least I want is some pissing contest KTM vs Husaberg that would be pretty uninteresting.

Cheers

I have never had one bit of trouble with either the 525 or 530. Regular maintenance on the bike is quick. There are riders who have had trouble with the crank oil weeping to the trans side.
My son and I use them for mainly DSing, getting in and out of trouble.
The 530 is way more capable than I am. You can also install a 570 piston in the 530 for under a grand.
I was lusting after the Husaberg for a couple of seasons, but when the boiling fuel problems, or fuel lock,and the fuel pump issues arose, i looked the other way. No kick start on the Berg either.
I personally would rather have a well sorted injection system than a carb.

If you are planning to climb Mount Everest on a bike, I would choose the Husaberg.:wink:
What do you rid now? Where do you ride?

jar944 02-09-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Goat (Post 20685961)
It will be interesting to see what KTM does with Berg now that KTM has acquired Husky.
Interesting about the Berg cam. Most inmates at ktmtalk recommend the 2011 berg cam for the 08-11 530. It supposedly makes it easier to start.

Seeing how they dropped the 70 degree motor and now the bergs are just blue ktms with different plastic and forks, I'd guess the change already occurred.

Navin 02-09-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Goat (Post 20685961)
It will be interesting to see what KTM does with Berg now that KTM has acquired Husky.
Interesting about the Berg cam. Most inmates at ktmtalk recommend the 2011 berg cam for the 08-11 530. It supposedly makes it easier to start.

When the A/D works, it is fine. KTM and Husky have had A/D problems for a few years. The 08s had the A/D reversed and totally useless. If you get one in your hand you can see how fragile they are, the spring is the thinnest wire I've ever seen.

kzeb 02-11-2013 12:48 PM

Thanks guys for shedding some light on the matter, now I'm really confused :D
no not really, but I have come to a new conclusion
KTM 530 EXC with the SXS 570 kit would be more than able to do the trick for me.
I might paint it blue though... and some yellow here and there :augie

Cheers :freaky


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014