ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   '82 centerstand, what's the deal? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861808)

Bluethumb 02-08-2013 09:07 PM

'82 centerstand, what's the deal?

Just picked up a '82 R100 and it is a struggle to get up on the centerstand. I've owned '76 R90/6, a couple of r90S's, and a couple of '78 RS's and all were a breeze to rock up on the centerstand. The '82 is damn near impossible, takes a big grunt to pull it up. Plus it's almost impossible to push off. My '83 ST is a snap, but the '82 R100 is completely different. It seems as if the centerstand is too far forward when the bike's up. I can't take the rear wheel off w/o the bike collapsing. There seems to be too much weight on the back wheel.

I talked to a BMW mechanic who has worked on lots of airheads and he said BMW redesigned the centerstand on these bikes because of complaints of them rocking off.

I can't help but wonder if there might be something else going on. I'm going to pull off the centerstand in the next couple of days.

Is this how the centerstands are designed on these years' bikes?

villageidiot 02-08-2013 09:21 PM

I've heard 81-83 center stands are the worst. And that the Reynolds stand came out to rectify this issue. But the Reynolds stands don't lift the rear wheel off the ground.

I don't have a solution to you're problem, but check the pivots, and where the stand stops when bike is on it. Maybe something is worn or bent

Good luck

Bluethumb 02-08-2013 09:37 PM

Does anyone know if a centerstand from a different year can be swapped out?

ME 109 02-08-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluethumb (Post 20683671)
Does anyone know if a centerstand from a different year can be swapped out?

That may have already happened to your bike, by a po, who put the wrong one on....just a thought.

Mark Manley 02-09-2013 12:07 AM

The centre stand from a later monolever might be the solution, I have the stand from a '91 GS on my '83 G/S and it is a lot easier to use and more stable than the original.

DaveBall 02-09-2013 09:06 AM

I have tried several different centre stands on 81-83 R100 bikes. It seems that only the ones from those years fit properly, without any major modifications. That being said, the stops on the stock stand do wear to the point where it will end up being way to far forward. There are numerous threads and pages on the web that go into detail as to how to fix the stops. It involves welding and filling to build up the lost battered material and then grinding down enough to make it work properly again. Also, check the holes in your stand to ensure they have not gone egg shaped. And check the bushings, they are prone to wear and cracking.

Many people have changed to the Reynolds stand, and when they want to take off a wheel, they put one or two 2x6s under the stand to get the wheels off the ground. Bit of a pain if you are away from home and need to patch a tube, but it can be done.

Rob Farmer 02-09-2013 09:18 AM

My mate has a similar issue with his 81. The original stand worked fine but cracked and buckled over the years. The replacement is slightly different but works well on later year machines so it would appear that the 81-82 machines had a unique main stand. I've just bought an 81 frame with a stand fitted so were going to put them side by side to see what the differences are.

Bluethumb 02-10-2013 02:00 PM

I pulled the centerstand and the ends above the pivot holes are worn down and rounded over. Too bad because the rest of the stand is fine, the pivot holes, the feet, etc. regardless looks like I need a new one. Meaning a good used one. I still haven't been able to figure out if this centerstand is unique to specific years.

Anyone out there riding a 1982 R100, R100RT or R100RS?

100RT 02-10-2013 02:14 PM

New BMW center stand is $350 plus the small parts. I have an 81 R100RT with a Reynolds ride off stand it will also fit the 82 R100RT as long as it isnt fitted with the Nivomat shocks.
You need stand #328 that is made for the bike. I have two small pieces of 2X4 that I use to elevate the bike when changing tires. I love the ride off especially when fully packed for tour camping.
The number is stamped at the top flat area on the down legs.

boxerboy81 02-10-2013 04:39 PM

Bluethumb...more info here...http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837414
Maybe all you need is a welder.

DaveBall 02-10-2013 05:01 PM

Follow what ME109 did in that thread. That is the best fix you can do. It is cheaper that buying a new stand and it works perfectly.

Cordless 02-10-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100RT (Post 20694500)
I have an 81 R100RT with a Reynolds ride off stand it will also fit the 82 R100RT as long as it isnt fitted with the Nivomat shocks.

I bought a 1982 R100RT with a Reynolds rideoff. It doesn't elevate the rear but does work with the Nivomat shocks.

I don't know if anything drastic was done to make the fit.

Good Luck

100RT 02-10-2013 06:00 PM

Cordless, my info was taken from their brochure page so it's good it is working for you. My bike didnt have the Nivo's when I bought it.

Cordless 02-10-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100RT (Post 20696097)
Cordless, my info was taken from their brochure page so it's good it is working for you. My bike didnt have the Nivo's when I bought it.

My RT doesn't have a sidestand. I don't know if that makes any difference whether the Reynolds will fit or not. I suspect the Sidestand did disappear when the Reynolds went on.

You installed Nivomats? I have looked at photos of hundreds of RTs and I have seen very few Nivomat shocks. Seems that most came with IKONs or that the Nivomats were replaced years ago. I don't know of anyone else who took off another brand and installed the Nivomat system.

100RT 02-10-2013 08:50 PM

I think the Nivo's were standard equipment on the 81 RT's. From what I have read they didnt work very well. The 81 side stand was junk too. I bought a new redesigned one from Motobins a few years back

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:05 AM.