ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc) (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   990 Rear Shock Lower Mount Refitting (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862088)

1050rat 02-10-2013 09:18 AM

990 Rear Shock Lower Mount Refitting
 
Hi,
I'm trying to refit my rear shock following a service. The top bolt is in place but for the life of me I can't get the lower mount back into the swingarm. The bush sits very slightly proud of the swing arm and can't be prised over it no matter what?
Any advice on tips or tricks welcome
Cheers
1050rat

Vicks 02-10-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1050rat (Post 20692352)
Hi,
I'm trying to refit my rear shock following a service. The top bolt is in place but for the life of me I can't get the lower mount back into the swingarm. The bush sits very slightly proud of the swing arm and can't be prised over it no matter what?
Any advice on tips or tricks welcome
Cheers
1050rat

You need to tap it (the lower end of the shock absorber) into place with a rubber mallet (preferably) and don't hit the spring like i did.:huh

page 10-9 of the repair manual.

DirtyADV 02-10-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicks (Post 20692542)
You need to tap it (the lower end of the shock absorber) into place with a rubber mallet (preferably) and don't hit the spring like i did.:huh

page 10-9 of the repair manual.

What he said, I usually lift the swing arm up so you hit the lower mount from the rear and force it forward, try not to go to far but if to far it can be pryed out a little with a big screwdriver from the front of the mount.

/Johan

1050rat 02-10-2013 10:15 AM

I've tried lifting the swingarm and "gently tapping" but the bush mounting will not clear the collar on the swingarm. It's just bouncing off it and not remotely thinking of wedging itself into place?

Went back out into my garage after a break and like a sign from above a little piece of sandpaper fell to the floor. So, off came the shock followed by a bit of light buffing coupled with some light dremel work with a wire brush (the bush was starting to show signs of mild abuse). Popped her back in with plenty of grease and this time the light tap with a dead blow hammer worked hoorah!!

Zuber 02-18-2013 09:44 PM

Just to finish off this thread. You can take a brass punch and tap the insert in the swing arm over to get more room to fit the shock back in. When you tighten the bolt it will just move over again to be tight on the shock again.

Vicks 02-19-2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuber (Post 20757759)
Just to finish off this thread. You can take a brass punch and tap the insert in the swing arm over to get more room to fit the shock back in. When you tighten the bolt it will just move over again to be tight on the shock again.

Thanks :clap

Didn't know about this little trick.

1050rat 02-27-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuber (Post 20757759)
Just to finish off this thread. You can take a brass punch and tap the insert in the swing arm over to get more room to fit the shock back in. When you tighten the bolt it will just move over again to be tight on the shock again.

Hi Zuber sounds like a neat idea have you got any pictures of this technique ?

I like pictures :-)

Cheers


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014