ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tool box (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862091)

Mcgee 02-10-2013 08:29 AM

Tool box
 
Just mounted new from http://advgear.net/ box that fits with my Zega case frame on my GS. Very good craftsmanship and quality materials. Thought I'd share with you...http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6713f8b9.jpg
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7a5dc4a5.jpg
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4507b1d9.jpg

twwhitey 02-10-2013 08:45 AM

Sweet man - I've got one on order myself and it's great to see it works well with the TT Zega racks. I can breathe a sigh of relief that's it's not going to take a weekend of finagling to get it mounted!

Just noticed you still have the mud guard on - you leaving it there? I recall he advised it's removal as the box can contact at full suspension compression

sk8rdi16 02-10-2013 10:09 AM

Just installed mine as well! Love it!

Mcgee 02-10-2013 02:47 PM

The mud guard looks like it will clear, but should remove it anyway. Mud will probably take it off soon enough.

seniorasi 02-11-2013 07:36 AM

Looks great. I bought one for my R1200GSA. The lid doesn't fit as nicely as your appears to. From about half way over on the top the lid is to big and overlaps making the fit and finish not so good. I've also been considering the best way to seal the holes to make it somewhat water tight. I can see daylight in a number of places, not good for the tools...

Advdave 02-11-2013 09:09 AM

Seniorasi...

Email sent. Will make it right. Box is assembled with clear sealer in the seams so it should be tight, if there are seams that the sealer doesn't fill, it ain't right and I'll replace it.

dave@advgear.net

sk8rdi16 02-11-2013 10:29 AM

Here's mine. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/12/y9urasa6.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/12/erysugav.jpg

kubiak 02-11-2013 11:34 AM

nice setup!

Hikertrash 02-11-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seniorasi (Post 20699317)
Looks great. I bought one for my R1200GSA. The lid doesn't fit as nicely as your appears to. From about half way over on the top the lid is to big and overlaps making the fit and finish not so good. I've also been considering the best way to seal the holes to make it somewhat water tight. I can see daylight in a number of places, not good for the tools...

Yeah, I got rid of mine after it leaked from the first bike wash.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seniorasi 02-11-2013 12:01 PM

Leaks
 
I may try some silicone on mine.

seniorasi 02-11-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advdave (Post 20699933)
Seniorasi...

Email sent. Will make it right. Box is assembled with clear sealer in the seams so it should be tight, if there are seams that the sealer doesn't fill, it ain't right and I'll replace it.

dave@advgear.net

Replacing the box is honorable but I find myself wondering why it was sent out that way. I can fit the door using a die grinder and hand file. I can buy a tube of silicone to fill the voids missed during assembly. None of this is a "big deal" but I expected a bit more quality for $140.00. Hope no one feels I'm picking fly shit out of pepper... A tig welded box would be really sweet though 'eh?

seniorasi 02-11-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk8rdi16 (Post 20700602)

Judging from the photo your door has the same problem as mine. From about the center toward the left the top edge of the door is proud of the door stop. I believe air flow with precipitation will cause it to leak. Hope I'm not stirring people up with no good reason but I'm fitting my door prior to installation and maybe adding an adhesive weather strip for a wind/rain proof seal.

lhendrik 02-11-2013 02:36 PM

Regardless the sealing that can be done, I would put my tool roll into a dry bag with some desiccant packs and make sure the tools were put in a bit oily to keep em from rusting, etc. No reason to expect a totally waterproof solution at this price point in my opinion. Tools placed in toolboxes in my garage have been known to rust with humidity. I still like the idea of this box to hold the tools instead of at the bottom of my adventure case, as then I can just leave them with the bike all the time and not have to drag them around when I unpack at camp or hotel.

ACD 02-11-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhendrik (Post 20702449)
Regardless the sealing that can be done, I would put my tool roll into a dry bag with some desiccant packs and make sure the tools were put in a bit oily to keep em from rusting, etc. No reason to expect a totally waterproof solution at this price point in my opinion. Tools placed in toolboxes in my garage have been known to rust with humidity. I still like the idea of this box to hold the tools instead of at the bottom of my adventure case, as then I can just leave them with the bike all the time and not have to drag them around when I unpack at camp or hotel.

X2

Waterproofness, although desirable, would be hard to achieve with this door design. Drybag or plastic bag is a simple way to keep tools from drawning. Draining holes are a good idea, too. Not sure if they are present.

I like to carry basic tools at all times, specially to fix flat tires. I usually strap a backpack to the back of the bike, but a tool box like that is the ideal thing. Definitely in my wish list.

Mcgee 02-11-2013 07:52 PM

I saw daylight through mine also, but on further inspection it is fully protected with a seal in the folded seams. I know what you mean with the door, mine fit perfectly, maybe a small gasket would be in order. Guess I will find out soon. The price is a good value considering the materials and time it takes to assemble one, plus free shipping!!


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014