ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parallel Universe (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Fuel Reserve Odo, F700GS (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862228)

moe.ron 02-10-2013 04:28 PM

Fuel Reserve Odo, F700GS

As you know, when the fuel light comes on the miles ridden on reserve are supposed to start counting up from zero. Mine has stopped doing this.

I took a quick look at visible connections and can't seem to find anything loose or disconnected, but I have not taken anything apart.

I also looked in the owners manual thinking I may have inadvertently turned this feature off, it does not look like that is an option.

A few weeks ago I took a little spill at a slow rate of speed. The bike itself never actually hit the ground, the crash bars took the entire impact, not a scratch on the bike with the exception of a bent shift lever.

I mention taking the tumble because I can't say for sure if I noticed it before or after the incident.

Anybody else have this issue or maybe point me in the direction to look for a problem? I will be dropping it off at the end of the week for a tire install, I intend on making sure the light is on when I get there.

moe.ron 02-11-2013 11:16 AM

Dang, by now I figured I would have at least gotten a comment about the uselessness of the fuel gauge and of this feature! :lol3

Incidentally, the rest of the cluster appears to be operating properly.

Ken in Regina 02-11-2013 02:55 PM

Don't you have a warranty and a local dealer?

...ken...

Loutre 02-11-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moe.ron (Post 20700943)
Dang, by now I figured I would have at least gotten a comment about the uselessness of the fuel gauge and of this feature! :lol3.

There you have it:

The GS Fuel gauge is for enterntainment puposes only :lol3

wortho 02-11-2013 04:35 PM

I have a new F700GS and when the fuel light comes on it does count up as expected. I have not dropped it yet so its still works at this stage :D

moe.ron 02-11-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken in Regina (Post 20702615)
Don't you have a warranty and a local dealer?

...ken...

I do, I will be dropping it off at the end of the week for a tire install, I intend on making sure the light is on when I get there. And yeah, yeah, I know, why are you paying dealer prices for a tire install you may ask? Its already paid for as part of another service.

And of course I also understand, just like any other manufacturer, the fuel gauge is for entertainment purposes only. Hell, I don't even care all that much about this feature. But for what the bike cost me I would like as much entertainment as possible. :lol3

UpST8 02-11-2013 05:29 PM

In a year we will giggle about this problem compared to the rest of the damage that poor thing has coming :lol3

moe.ron 02-11-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UpST8 (Post 20703814)
In a year we will giggle about this problem compared to the rest of the damage that poor thing has coming :lol3

You got that right!

Serp 04-17-2013 07:20 AM

Counting up instead of down

Anyone know to change it from counting up when it hits reserve to counting down like it is/was on the 650 Twins?
My wife would rather have the bike computer estimate remaining driving distance left and counting to zero but it doesn't look like it can be changed. We've found it to be extremely accurate in the past! :D

Edit: Looks like the dealer can do an ECU reflash. I'll post up if the dealer can do this the next time we are there.

tah1800 04-19-2013 02:57 AM

The fuel sensor can be programmed by a dealer and remapping might solve your problem.

MikeMike 04-19-2013 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loutre (Post 20702979)
There you have it:

The GS Fuel gauge is for enterntainment puposes only :lol3

Actually, the Spandau engineers added this feature so "you will never feel so alive"!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:13 PM.