ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Finally got my KTM 450 EXC (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862255)

chilly_moose 02-10-2013 07:12 PM

Finally got my KTM 450 EXC

So i finally saved up a few bucks to buy my first enduro bike.
It's a 2004 KTM 450 EXC.
If any body can give me some insight on this bike i would greatly appreciate it.
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/2514121/

It'sNotTheBike 02-10-2013 09:31 PM

It is more honorable ( and less lazy ) to search for yourself rather than ask to be spoon-fed by
people who probably have better things to do than do your homework for you.

Click on the link below and you will be able to learn virtually everything you could
ever possibly want or need to know about the bike you just bought. There are 36,600
search results. That ought to keep you busy for a few hours.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a...pe=&as_rights=

Oshiat 02-10-2013 09:53 PM

I have an 05, they are great bikes. Buy a decent set of wrap-around radiator guards and go ride.

chilly_moose 02-11-2013 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike (Post 20697247)
It is more honorable ( and less lazy ) to search for yourself rather than ask to be spoon-fed by
people who probably have better things to do than do your homework for you.

Click on the link below and you will be able to learn virtually everything you could
ever possibly want or need to know about the bike you just bought. There are 36,600
search results. That ought to keep you busy for a few hours.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a...pe=&as_rights=

Thanks it's not the Bike...
I appreciate your help. But i have already googled about the bike...
I was just looking for a more indepth look than what is posted on the search engines.
maybe some owners feed back of things they like and dislike about it.
But you already knew that since you know i'm lazy. and thanks for not having anything else better to do than reply to my post you dumb ass
:rofl

chilly_moose 02-11-2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oshiat (Post 20697370)
I have an 05, they are great bikes. Buy a decent set of wrap-around radiator guards and go ride.

Thank you Oshiat
people like you make these forums enjoyable.
:clap

loosesprocket 02-11-2013 06:39 AM

Join ktmtalk.com and go to the Big Bike Forum, RFS-Racing Four Strokes and you will find an endless amount of information. When you first open that forum look at the pinned: Evolution of the RFS motor and chassis. I have an 07 450 XC and love it.

400psi 02-11-2013 06:52 AM

Great bike.
couple of basics that you will find or need to check out.
1. dont idle the bike for any extended period of time. It will over heat.
2. Jd jet kit works wonders.
3. change the lower screen bolt to the aftermarket bolt that allows a socket to be used. Best $13 spent or whatever they cost
4. set sag. 04's have a top out spring so correct preload is important. google "golden rule of sag"
5. Chain tension. Take off shock. place swing arm in line with countershaft. allow for slight slack in chain. set axle blocks. put shock back on. this is your chain tension. too tight will cause wear to countershaft and csseal. It will look loose.
6. Use 1.2 ltrs oil when filters replaced. 1 ltr when just changing oil
7. put header guard by exhaust otherwise you'll hve a lot of holes in your pants

These are a couple of high points to help search for. as mentioned ktm talk is great for all this info as well as adv. There is tons of info about this bike. hopefully this will help get you looking in the right direction
Enjoy

400psi 02-11-2013 06:53 AM

never mind about exhaust guard. I just looked at you pics

buddoggin 02-11-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chilly_moose (Post 20698052)
Thanks it's not the Bike...
I appreciate your help. But i have already googled about the bike...
I was just looking for a more indepth look than what is posted on the search engines.
maybe some owners feed back of things they like and dislike about it.
But you already knew that since you know i'm lazy. and thanks for not having anything else better to do than reply to my post you dumb ass
:rofl

:rofl:D:rofl

GrizGirl 02-11-2013 12:07 PM

Go to Google. Copy this as your search: site:advrider.com ktm 450 exc advrider.

Enjoy reading the information posted in the correct forums of ADV for this type of question. Pics, pics, pics (which, surprisingly, is a forum dedicated to PICTURES) is NOT the right place for this question and you will not find a whole lot of useful information here because you posted your question in the wrong place.

You're welcome.

Crazy_Dave 02-11-2013 12:44 PM

Locking lever update

GB 02-11-2013 05:12 PM

Not in the Pics forum... off to Thumpers.

chilly_moose 02-11-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosesprocket (Post 20698677)
Join ktmtalk.com and go to the Big Bike Forum, RFS-Racing Four Strokes and you will find an endless amount of information. When you first open that forum look at the pinned: Evolution of the RFS motor and chassis. I have an 07 450 XC and love it.

Awesome... You are the man! Thanks

chilly_moose 02-11-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 400psi (Post 20698729)
Great bike.
couple of basics that you will find or need to check out.
1. dont idle the bike for any extended period of time. It will over heat.
2. Jd jet kit works wonders.
3. change the lower screen bolt to the aftermarket bolt that allows a socket to be used. Best $13 spent or whatever they cost
4. set sag. 04's have a top out spring so correct preload is important. google "golden rule of sag"
5. Chain tension. Take off shock. place swing arm in line with countershaft. allow for slight slack in chain. set axle blocks. put shock back on. this is your chain tension. too tight will cause wear to countershaft and csseal. It will look loose.
6. Use 1.2 ltrs oil when filters replaced. 1 ltr when just changing oil
7. put header guard by exhaust otherwise you'll hve a lot of holes in your pants

These are a couple of high points to help search for. as mentioned ktm talk is great for all this info as well as adv. There is tons of info about this bike. hopefully this will help get you looking in the right direction
Enjoy

Wow... Good stuff here! Thanks a bunch!!!

Also thank u Grizgirl and crazy dave!

StolenFant 02-11-2013 08:44 PM

Oshiat,
Can you elaborate on "decent" pair of wrap around radiator guards? I too picked up title for new to me 05 450EXC, and just removed tank. They are on there rather flimsily. Plenty of "billet", and ton's of other variations, Do any of them provide real protection to rad's? Once price gets close to $100, I can easily fab much more substantial guards WITH bracing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oshiat (Post 20697370)

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:20 PM.