ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Heated Grip Switch for my R100 GS (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863525)

Samy 02-16-2013 05:50 AM

Heated Grip Switch for my R100 GS
 
Hi folks,

Bought one set of "heated grips" from A&S Motorcycle Parts for my R100 GS but without switch as switch is out of stick.

Where can I buy an on/off switch for my heated grips? I prefer to have it with Low/High/Off positions.

Any info is highly appreciated.

Cheers

batoutoflahonda 02-16-2013 09:45 AM

If it's one of those rocker switches try Eastern Beaver. Scroll down to the contura switches.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El.../switches.html

Or, Moto-bins:

http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts....20valve%20Twin

Electrics+Accessory switches

Pricy things they are. Or a toggle switch for 9 bucks. Not sure on your set up. But I thought the High/low was a function of some sort of electrical ballast or resistor? If so, any single pole, double throw (SPDT) switch will work. (As long the the load rating for the switch is good)

SOLO LOBO 02-16-2013 12:23 PM

What year GS? there is an handle-bar mounted version for the earlier and a dash mounted for the later.

if the grips are stock (BMW) buy the BMW part or you will have to "customize" both the wiring and the mount.

Later: '91 and later

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="width: 17px; border-bottom: solid 1px #666;" align="center">02</td><td style="width: 85px; border-left: solid 1px #ddd; border-bottom: solid 1px #666; font-weight: bold;" align="left"> 61 31 1 459 234</td><td style="width: 235px; border-left: solid 1px #ddd; border-bottom: solid 1px #666; font-family: Arial Narrow;" align="left"> SWITCH, HEATED HANDLEBAR GRIPS/HTD SEAT - L=700MM</td></tr></tbody></table>

Earlier up to '90

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="width: 17px; border-bottom: solid 1px #ccc;" align="center">02</td><td style="width: 85px; border-left: solid 1px #ddd; border-bottom: solid 1px #ccc; font-weight: bold;" align="left"> 61 31 1 244 494</td><td style="width: 235px; border-left: solid 1px #ddd; border-bottom: solid 1px #ccc; font-family: Arial Narrow;" align="left"> ADDITIONAL SWITCH</td></tr></tbody></table>

BeardThrone 02-16-2013 02:50 PM

Hello,

I have a rocker switch that mounts on the R100GS dash panel that came with a grip set I got from Germany (part #61 31 1 459 234 in Solo Lobo's post). I am waiting on a new switch for my R80G/S that should come this next week. If the new switch mates with my harness then I won't need the rocker switch. It has High/Off/Low positions. I don't know what shipping to Turkey is going to cost but I would be willing to sell it to you.

BT

Pic of the parthttp://www.motobins.co.uk/library/85297.jpg

Samy 02-17-2013 02:02 AM

My Bike is 1996 R80 GS Basic...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO (Post 20740245)
What year GS? there is an handle-bar mounted version for the earlier and a dash mounted for the later.

if the grips are stock (BMW) buy the BMW part or you will have to "customize" both the wiring and the mount.

Later: '91 and later

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="width: 17px; border-bottom: solid 1px #666;" align="center">02</td><td style="width: 85px; border-left: solid 1px #ddd; border-bottom: solid 1px #666; font-weight: bold;" align="left"> 61 31 1 459 234</td><td style="width: 235px; border-left: solid 1px #ddd; border-bottom: solid 1px #666; font-family: Arial Narrow;" align="left"> SWITCH, HEATED HANDLEBAR GRIPS/HTD SEAT - L=700MM</td></tr></tbody></table>

Earlier up to '90

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="width: 17px; border-bottom: solid 1px #ccc;" align="center">02</td><td style="width: 85px; border-left: solid 1px #ddd; border-bottom: solid 1px #ccc; font-weight: bold;" align="left"> 61 31 1 244 494</td><td style="width: 235px; border-left: solid 1px #ddd; border-bottom: solid 1px #ccc; font-family: Arial Narrow;" align="left"> ADDITIONAL SWITCH</td></tr></tbody></table>


Samy 02-17-2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardThrone (Post 20740966)
Hello,

I have a rocker switch that mounts on the R100GS dash panel that came with a grip set I got from Germany (part #61 31 1 459 234 in Solo Lobo's post). I am waiting on a new switch for my R80G/S that should come this next week. If the new switch mates with my harness then I won't need the rocker switch. It has High/Off/Low positions. I don't know what shipping to Turkey is going to cost but I would be willing to sell it to you.

BT

Pic of the parthttp://www.motobins.co.uk/library/85297.jpg

Hi,
My Bike is 1996 R80Gs Basic and I don't know if this switch will fit well on to my bike! May be a switch which mounts on handlebar can be better ?

Don't know where can I mount this switch on dash panel. I don't have any experience with this...

Can you please give more info, however it looks good...

batoutoflahonda 02-17-2013 08:32 AM

So the BMW handle bar switch:

http://www.motobins.co.uk/library/85300.jpg

Part No.85300
BMW Part No.
61 31 1 243 265

This is from Moto-bins

From the the US, Max''s BMW item 2, click on steering on the top of the page:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...3&rnd=08102012

Note there is a three position switch and two position switch. Guessing you want the three position. The Moto-bins, by part number, is a two position switch.

Part number for the three position switch
:
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="42" width="641"><tbody><tr><td style="width: 17px; border-bottom: solid 1px #ccc;" align="center">02
</td><td style="width: 85px; border-left: solid 1px #ddd; border-bottom: solid 1px #ccc; font-weight: bold;" align="left"> 61 31 1 244 494</td><td style="width: 235px; border-left: solid 1px #ddd; border-bottom: solid 1px #ccc; font-family: Arial Narrow;" align="left"> ADDITIONAL SWITCH (from 09/84)</td></tr></tbody></table>


http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...png?v=08102012

Twin headlight Ernie 02-17-2013 03:12 PM

Heated grip switch
 
Make sure you zip tie the wires where they come off the switch to something solid. I had a GS in the shop a while back with no power to the grips. The wires were not zip tied off and the miles of vibration overworked the copper wires at the switch. The wires were just hanging loose behind the fairing. 2HE

BeardThrone 02-17-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda (Post 20745342)
So the BMW handle bar switch:

http://www.motobins.co.uk/library/85300.jpg

Part No.85300
[COLOR=#888]BMW Part No.
61 31 1 243 265

Don't get this one. It's an on/off and some weird interrupt button and the connector will not fit your wiring harness. Made the mistake of getting this one first. The 494 batoutoflahonda mentioned I have coming in the mail and should work. I'll post a picture when I get it.

BT

BeardThrone 02-19-2013 02:46 PM

This is the part you need. Thanks to Solo Lobo for tearing into his bike to help me out with this!

Everything that comes in the box from BMW with the part number on the top left of the box.
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...P/P1010008.jpg
Close up of the switch and the plug to the harness.
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...80a43f5d37.jpg

Hope this helps you out Samy!

BT


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014