ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   I need to make a shipping pallet (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863616)

anonny 02-16-2013 01:20 PM

I need to make a shipping pallet

Helping out my brother here, bought him a bike that needs to be shipped to him and I need to put it on a pallet or shipping crate.

We have 0 motorcycle dealers nearby to try and get one from so I am looking for quick and dirty ways to get this thing ready to leave my garage. :evil

KiloBravo 02-16-2013 01:34 PM

Several examples on YouTube.

stainlesscycle 02-16-2013 04:04 PM

does it need to be enclosed - is there a snowmobile dealer nearby? they have crates too....but they are long... hard to get motorcycle crates anymore - most manufacturers want them back...

anonny 02-16-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainlesscycle (Post 20741036)
does it need to be enclosed - is there a snowmobile dealer nearby? they have crates too....but they are long... hard to get motorcycle crates anymore - most manufacturers want them back...

Living in the boonies, we got nuthin :D

RVDan 02-16-2013 07:15 PM

There is some warehouses there, go snoop around, there will be unwaned pallets, grab a bunch and you'll be able to salvage enough wood to build something nice

kirkster70 02-16-2013 07:22 PM

Build it with screws so your brother isn't calling you bad names when tearing it apart. :D

arcanum 02-18-2013 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkster70 (Post 20742188)
Build it with screws so your brother isn't calling you bad names when tearing it apart. :D

And use decking screws [square drive] so your brother does not cuss you out because of cam-out stripped phillips heads. Also the deck screws will not break like common drywall screws.Of course,include the square drive bit with the shipment.Your brother will love you and admit that you are a pretty amazing fellow.

luxlogs 02-18-2013 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkster70 (Post 20742188)

If it was going to my Brother I would weld it together

luxlogs 02-18-2013 05:27 AM

Call Passport Transport, they moved cars for me in the past, enclosed trailors too.

PineyMountainRacing 02-18-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainlesscycle (Post 20741036)

My local Suzuki dealer, as well as the Kawi dealer scrap all of their crates. I ran into the same problem a couple years ago trying to find a crate for a bike I was buying in eastern NC, none of the dealers would keep one back from there scrappers for me, even with me offering to buy it and pay them to crate the bike. Local dealership would have given me one but then Ida had to ship it there empty.

duck 02-18-2013 07:31 PM

If you ship via Forward Air then they provide the crate. Ride it into the crate at their location, strap it down and off it goes.

(Not affiliated but sold a bike to a non-local guy who used them for the shipping. All went swimmingly.)

anonny 02-18-2013 08:14 PM

Ive got a shipper, 2 flats of beer gets it to The Yukon :1drink

RVDan 02-19-2013 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcanum (Post 20750851)
And use decking screws [square drive] so your brother does not cuss you out because of cam-out stripped phillips heads. Also the deck screws will not break like common drywall screws.Of course,include the square drive bit with the shipment.Your brother will love you and admit that you are a pretty amazing fellow.

This is canada, we would never consider anything but Robertson head screws, there would be no need to include the screwdriver bit, we would all have out own. :)

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:13 AM.