ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Loose front end? How to troubleshoot? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863792)

rdwalker 02-17-2013 07:58 AM

Loose front end? How to troubleshoot?
 
Hi, all,

on my '09 R1200GS, I feel a distinct "click" in the front, when rocking the bike back-and-forth, with the front brake applied.

What is the best method of determining where the lash exists?
I was rocking the bike while holding my fingers by the steering head bearings, but felt no movement. Neither, when touching the ball-joint on the Telelever swing arm.

Also, I jacked up the engine to lift the front and tugged on the wheel - needles to say, felt no movement, either.

Is this a valid test? How to approach the diagnostics? What else could be loose beyond head bearings and the ball joint?

TIA. Robert.

10Cup 02-17-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdwalker (Post 20744791)
Hi, all,

on my '09 R1200GS, I feel a distinct "click" in the front, when rocking the bike back-and-forth, with the front brake applied.

What is the best method of determining where the lash exists?
I was rocking the bike while holding my fingers by the steering head bearings, but felt no movement. Neither, when touching the ball-joint on the Telelever swing arm.

Also, I jacked up the engine to lift the front and tugged on the wheel - needles to say, felt no movement, either.

Is this a valid test? How to approach the diagnostics? What else could be loose beyond head bearings and the ball joint?

TIA. Robert.

This is just movement from the brake rotors, my new 2012 triple black does the same thing. Nothing to worry about they have to float the rotors because the calipers are fixed. Designed that way.

rdwalker 02-17-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10Cup (Post 20744905)
This is just movement from the brake rotors, my new 2012 triple black does the same thing. Nothing to worry about they have to float the rotors because the calipers are fixed. Designed that way.

Brilliant! I forgot about that! You, sir, just made my day.

I am used to the round-button style rotor mounts on my '06 GS and all my older K and R bikes; that explains why I did not feel the "click" on those bikes. The '09 is my first one with the rubber-suspended rotors.

Thanks.

JimVonBaden 02-17-2013 10:02 AM

Hi Robert,

As mentioned, it could just be your rotors moving. I would take a torque wrench to all the bolts on your front end, skip the ball joint, and make sure they are all tight. Also, check your caliper bolts as well.

Jim :brow

rdwalker 02-17-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 20745530)
Hi Robert,

As mentioned, it could just be your rotors moving. I would take a torque wrench to all the bolts on your front end, skip the ball joint, and make sure they are all tight. Also, check your caliper bolts as well.

Jim :brow

Thanks! I've done the calipers previously - but will go through everything else with my trusty torque wrenches. I just found here in the forum a mention of someone reporting that the fork tube clamp bolts loosened up.

Personally, of course, I like the theory of the rubber-cushioned rotor buttons the best. :evil

Regards, Robert.

JimVonBaden 02-17-2013 01:45 PM

The fork tube clamp bolts are an old, but very valid issue that I have no heard in a while. Seems they would loosen up and the forks would twist.

Jim :brow

Yellow Iron 02-17-2013 05:16 PM

I have the same click. Checked the front end. Found the bar mounts loose tighten them still didn't go away.
Time to do some more checking.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014