ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Rockies It's all downhill from here... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   ADV Opinions on Albuquerque, NM (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863878)

plusone 02-17-2013 01:39 PM

ADV Opinions on Albuquerque, NM

Hey all, got a job offer on the table to go to Albuquerque for the next 2 years. I have been sub-contracting part time for this company for a little over a year now and they have been great to work for but I'm a little hesitant to leave Denver again. Like the climate and love the mountains, not a huge fan of snow since it gets in the way of my favorite activities = dirt riding, mtb and hiking the CO high country. I don't have any family in Denver but have been living here almost 9 years and starting to feel somewhat established.

I hear climate is a little friendlier down there for my preferred activities, how is it really? Good riding? Longer season?

I'm headed down to check things out sometime around the 26th - 27th. May even bring the bikes (moto and Wheaties powered), will there be some open trails to scope out? Any recommendations?

What are good areas to live in near the city?

Is it a family friendly town? Anything to consider for my 2.5 year old boy? Since he will be transitioning to pre-school in 6 months it seems like it would be a good time to move him.

Thanks for your thoughts! Adam

pow_rider17 02-17-2013 02:12 PM

ABQ is a great place if you are into the world around you and not the people. Great place, people are so-so, excluding all the fine folks represented on ADV of course.

I have lived here for 20+ years, some of it teenage years and I consider it home but plan to move to CO once there are no kids in the house. I want to be a little closer to awesome snow and skiing.

Rio Rancho is the best place to be for schools for your little one, unless you plan on private school. They are the second best in the state only behind Los Alamos. But the town is mostly cookie-cutter, suberbian hell (its where I live).

There is great riding all around and pretty much year round. Let me know if you want a specific place to ride and I can help you out, surely others will be along to throw in their $.02.

Snow isn't really a problem, usually it only falls in the mountains and if it does fall in town it is usually quickly melted by the high desert sun.

Gordy 02-18-2013 05:46 AM

Not to be short, but this topic has been beat to daeath here in the Rockies.

Great riding, greater people,diverse culture, and the climate is better for all things than Denver has to offer-even if you like to play in the snow. Taos skiing is world class and there are several other areas within an 1 1/2 hr of any of the metro alb communities.
What is cool is those same areas are where we ride single track and trials in the summer. We move our riding to the desert in the winter.

NM is the fifth largest state and there are less than a million and a half people here. :evil .......a few more will be OK but keep it on the low. :deal

Do a google search:

Advrider,Rockies, Albuquerque, moving

Advrider, Rockies, NM, -whatever kind I'd riding you are interested in-

And see what comes up. :dunno

selaznog 02-18-2013 07:26 AM

What Gordy said. When you do that search you will probably read endless rants about schools, which will probably matter to you based on your first post. Don't get hung up on it, as you can easily limit your home search to a better school boundary at almost all housing price points.

Gitana 02-18-2013 07:29 AM

You also might check with inmate ABQCookie, who hardly ever posts any more. She's a teacher and might have good insights about schools. Plus she's just an awesomely nice human being.

plusone 02-20-2013 08:35 AM

Thanks for all of your candid responses. I go down there sometime next week to scope it out a little further.

Ditch 02-20-2013 09:09 AM

Bring a bike :thumb

plusone 02-20-2013 10:09 AM

Currently adjusting valves and re-jetting the DR350, she should be ready to go in the back of the truck for a little riding.

bobfab 02-20-2013 10:41 AM

fyi i found that my jetting for Denver worked just as well in Rio rancho and buckman (more sante fe area), your results may vary.

selaznog 02-20-2013 11:57 AM

Denver = mile high
ABQ = mile high

Dr E 02-20-2013 12:10 PM

I was born and raised there and have seen Albuquerque change from a once enjoyable community to one that is filled with crime and drugs. I speak from first hand knowledge not hearsay as I spent quite a long time working working with APD and the State Medical Examiners Office. There is far more that goes on and is not reported in the media than people think.

When I was offered the chance to move to the Pacific NW, we took it. Four years later after my parents retired, we bought them a home and got them out of there. What do I miss about Albuquerque...NOTHING. What do I miss about New Mexico...EVERYTHING.

The food, the culture, the geology, the places to go and travel to and be a part of and most of all life long friends. New Mexico really is the Land of Enchantment, if your passing through as a tourist, but don't be fooled in to thinking that Albuquerque is a garden spot by any means.

Slideways#96 02-20-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr E (Post 20770701)
I was born and raised there and have seen Albuquerque change from a once enjoyable community to one that is filled with crime and drugs. I speak from first hand knowledge not hearsay as I spent quite a long time working working with APD and the State Medical Examiners Office. There is far more that goes on and is not reported in the media than people think.

When I was offered the chance to move to the Pacific NW, we took it. Four years later after my parents retired, we bought them a home and got them out of there. What do I miss about Albuquerque...NOTHING. What do I miss about New Mexico...EVERYTHING.

The food, the culture, the geology, the places to go and travel to and be a part of and most of all life long friends. New Mexico really is the Land of Enchantment, if your passing through as a tourist, but don't be fooled in to thinking that Albuquerque is a garden spot by any means.

:tough

Gordy 02-20-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Where'd you live Sheriiff? I think you can say the same about most places.

Now.........what was the name of that girl from Alb that went up to Seattle and was shot in the face and killed in the street by a random shooting? :scratch

oh yeah..........here it is:

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S2596217.shtml

....and I find it hard to believe that there is more going on than the media reports. THAT is all that they report. Granted, Alb is not a small town that has the crime report in the daily newpaper like Mayberry does.

BTW, If you kknew of more, you should have spoken up. :ear

selaznog 02-20-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordy (Post 20772629)
Where'd you live Sheriiff? I think you can say the same about most places.

Now.........what was the name of that girl from Alb that went up to Seattle and was shot in the face and killed in the street by a random shooting? :scratch

oh yeah..........here it is:

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S2596217.shtml

....and I find it hard to believe that there is more going on than the media reports. THAT is all that they report. Granted, Alb is not a small town that has the crime report in the daily newpaper like Mayberry does.

BTW, If you kknew of more, you should have spoken up. :ear

Yeah, I was on a grand jury in Montgomery County, Maryland, the tenth richest county in the USA. I was surprised to hear that it also had tons of drug crime, murder, theft, sex abuse, etc. It's everywhere.

AtomicXRer 02-20-2013 05:13 PM

:eek1 :lol3

Quote:

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:39 PM.